S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

@#^%& HAIL!

Old 04-23-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @#^%& HAIL!

Hail pulvarized my car last night. Hood, trunk, top of quarter panels (I have no covered parking). Thank god for the soft top. Car is 3 weeks old.

For you insurance experts, do you think body part replacement or repair (from those dent repair guys or the dry ice trick) is in order? As new as the car is, I should demand replacement. What are your experiences?

Thanks in advance. I'm so bummed out
Old 04-23-2005, 06:10 AM

Damn, that sucks. I know how you feel. about 2 weeks after I got my previous RSX-S it got hail damage. It wasn't serious enough to go to insurance, and I just delt with the little dings. Insurance should cover having the dents removed, just make sure you go to a good paintless dent removal place. They should be able to get everything out, as long as none of them are too serious. For dents in some places though, they might not be able to get them out. I'd think that panel replacement would be covered by insurance in those cases.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:13 AM

I believe you have a right to true repair. Dent wizards do a great job a PDR but you could sometimes detect the repair if you really look hard enough. I don't know what else to tell you. Call your insureance company and ask the for an approved body shop. They would argue for true repair. However "true repair" often uses fillers that can be seen by experts. You're not going to get new metal that's for sure. Basically I think PDR would be better for the value of your car.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:34 AM

The paintless dent repair is the best way to go.. You do not want to paint the car if you can avoid it. It really kills the resale value and most body shops do not do as good a job as factory.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:39 AM
jah

i wonder how this type of thing reports to the CarFax.com stuff???
Old 04-23-2005, 07:21 AM

for the replies, guys. i'm still going to push for new metal. however if paintless dent repair comes back undetectable, i guess i'd be satisfied. wonder if they waive the deductible for PDR just like they do windsheild repair?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:12 AM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. This reminds me of the days of Jimmy Carter when Billy got out of line (think of this with your best Southern accent). ... "Oh hail Billy, what were you thinking ... ... ." I bet the hail really did a job on the aluminum hood. Thank you for the post. Maybe your misfortune will help some of us protect our cars when hail stroms are forecast. Good Luck, and thank you again.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mad-dog-one,Apr 23 2005, 11:12 AM
Thank you for the post. Maybe your misfortune will help some of us protect our cars when hail stroms are forecast. Good Luck, and thank you again.
you're welcome, it think. always wanted to be a martyr for good causes
Old 04-23-2005, 08:19 AM

man that sucks....there was bad weather here in the cinci area, and i was out in the first couple of min, luckly i got home in time cause they were calling for hail here to, just got my car also..good thing i got home
Old 04-23-2005, 08:25 AM

So sorry man. The same thing happened to my brother's one week old RSX-S last year. There were over a hundred dents all over the car. He had some sort of repair performed where the panels are removed and "rolled" through a machine to remove the dents. I am not sure if that is exactly what is done, but, a few days later he got the car back and NOT ONE DENT COULD BE FOUND. He is in the Washington DC suburbs, so, you obviously wnt be taking your S there, but I will ask him for the shop contact info and pass it along to you. Maybe they could help you find something out your way.

Quick Reply: @#^%& HAIL!