S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

That #*!&@# radio door...

Old 12-27-2000, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great having the radio door, but I'm trying to buy a head unit and no retailers know the distance from the HU mounting plates to the HU face plate. Consequently, I can't figure out whether the damn HU is going to stick out too far to be able to close the radio door.

I'm trying to get one of the really, ultra-expensive Clarion or Pioneer CD receivers with the pretty lights, but I can't tell which will fit. Does anyone have a new HU with a fold-down front? Does it fit?

On a side note, my plan is to run an auxilliary rca pair out of the HU cavity so that I can plug in my portable MD and MP3 players. Is there anything I need to know about doing that? Can HU's accept the measly little signal out of the headphones jack of my MD player and make it sound loud and good?

Is that enough stupid questions for ya?
Old 12-27-2000, 07:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a pioneer DEH-P8000 (me thinks). Anyway, the face folds down to insert the CD. No problems with the radio door.

Impatiently awaiting yellow S2K
Old 12-27-2000, 07:59 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

I will take a stab at this one. The Head Unit(HU) will fit inside the radio with the radio face up! With it down the face will hit the door if tried to be put in the closed position.

Though the door should not open unless you manually push a button on the face of the radio(unlike the Kenwood Camelion) The Camelion flips open and flips closed when the car turns on and off. That will cause major problems with our car!

As far as inputs from a CD player.....I would say run the RCA's out the back of the radio area into the foot well then run it along the transmission tunnel just under the carpet and have them poke out where needed.(cleaner look) As for sound?! I havent a clue. Depends on how good the radio is. Though the radio has to have a audio "input" to accept that transmission.

HTH> Any more stupid questions?
Old 12-27-2000, 07:59 AM

Cool. How about Clarion? Anyone got one of those DRX9675Rz things? Those look nice.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:00 AM

Thanks, Pinky. Didn't see your response until after I posted mine.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:12 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sunchild:
[B]Thanks, Pinky.
Old 12-27-2000, 12:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My Sony has the flip down face.

There's quite a bit of space between the HU and the door, so there's not problem with the face closed. One cavaet: If you have the door and face open and you turn the ignition off the face will close after a few seconds. If you then close the door, and forget to open it when you return, the face will try to open when you turn the ignition on. DOn't know what will happen. Maybe it senses the resistance and closes again, maybe it melts down and sets fire to the S and insurance won't cover it because it was caused by an aftermarket stereo. Dunno, it's never happened to me.

As for inputs for MD and MP3 players, Sony make a junction box that allows you to still connect a stacker, but also have an AUX in. It uses 2 RCA inputs so you'd need a 3.5mm to RCA cable and you could plug in any device with Line or Headphone level output. I use mine with a Neo 35 MP3 player.
Old 12-27-2000, 12:51 PM

Nice. It looks like a go, then. I'm buying from Crutchfield since I have an insanely huge store credit due from them.
(Sorry, Pinky).

I think I'll get that Clarion. It has three sets of rca plugs, and I don't have a "stacker" (yet), so I should be ok.

Thanks again, all.
Old 12-27-2000, 12:58 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sunchild:
[B]Nice.
Old 12-27-2000, 01:00 PM

Hey Sunchild,
I've got the Clarion RMX855DZ installed. It's a minidisc headunit that Pinky installed. It fits fine. The radio door will have to be open when the HU is flipped down.

Are you around tomorrow for a drink, btw?

Quick Reply: That #*!&@# radio door...