S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

**Shocks and Springs**

Old 12-06-2003, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what munckee said is exactly what is was trying to say. I want less stiff springs so the roads are not more pronounced which mean i need firm or soft springs(imma get coilovers). Would shocks do the same as well as dampers? and if they do the same or one does it better than another which is more important to change for the quality im trying to grasp. So im like thinking maybe since ppl say the oem springs suck i would change the coilover and spring and keep the shocks and dampers if they were still good parts and vice versa
Old 12-06-2003, 02:43 PM

Ok, my understanding is that you find the stock ride too harsh for your liking. Based on my limited understanding of suspension tuning, the easiest way to remedy this would be to find SOFTER springs, not stiffer. The problem with this, however, is that aftermarket springs are generally made stiffer than OEM because most people who switch them are looking for a change in that direction. In addition, as you lower the car (on stock struts), you need to make the springs stiffer to avoid hitting the bump stops.

Your next option would be to move to something like the Koni struts and tune them to full soft. If you don't want to lower the car in the process, stick to the stock springs. These will probably help your situation to an extent, but I can't comment on whether they'd "solve" the issue or not as I've never ridden in an s2k equipped with Koni's.

Contrary to previous posts, I believe that coilovers are exactly what you DON'T want. Most of them are stiffer than the stock setup. Not to mention that they cost a fortune.

You also need to consider how these changes will effect your handling. If you make things too soft, then you're going to increase body roll and make handling mushier.

A couple of other solutions that might be worth trying before you dump a ton of money: have you checked your tire pressures? It's possible that they are way overfilled, making your ride harsher. Try playing with the pressures a bit to see what suits you.

You might also try switching to the softer sway bars found in the '02-03 s2k's. I believe they're ~30% softer and may help some. Now they won't make a huge difference in the "bumpy feel", but will help with a bit softer ride overall.

I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm making any blatant mistakes in my evaluation, and as I said, I have pretty limited expertise in this area. But I hope that helps a bit.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JL9000
I think you should get a 350Z.
But if you insist on keeping the car then....
[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
shocks over springs for sure.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by munckee
You might also try switching to the softer sway bars found in the '02-03 s2k's.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:04 PM

i understand now what is now at hand. springs wont really have an affect on my ride quality but and since oem stocks suck switching them to koni would be a good idea. The car would be at the same stance not lowered with new koni shocks rite, and would dampers do anything major or minor to the ride
Old 12-06-2003, 07:54 PM

I've been looking at www.tirerack.com for S2000 tires...has anyone tried an ALL-SEASON tires on the S2ks? If so, did you like/dislike difference...suggest a particular brand?
Old 12-06-2003, 08:19 PM

I just put some Espelir Active Super Downs on MY02. It has made a huge difference, steering has become even firmer, don't seem to feel every bump ( eventhough I didn't mind), handles better, and has decreased my fender well gap down to 1.5 ". Best mod I've done next to the exhaust.

Oh by the way just running the stock rims and tires.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:42 PM

Another option is to use seat cushions. No really, I'm serious! By far the cheapest mod for modifying suspension feel is to modify how cushy (or firm) your seating is.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by GChambers

Very well said. The only thing that I will disagree with is that the springs are not as responsible for the firm ride as the shocks. Stiffer springs tend to help control body movement. They really don't affect the ride quality much unless you go VERY STIFF.
Interesting. I was under the impression that it was the opposite of this scenario. Can you tell me more about your setup? I've been debating between koni's on stock springs (on the .5" lower perch), koni's with kg/mm sport springs, and kg/mm sport springs on stock struts.

Ideally I want a firmer ride with around .5-1" drop. The less money spent the better, but I want to do it right (and I don't want to shell out for coilovers). Any thoughts or recommendations? How do you like the koni's? How adjustable are they? How is the handling on them? Do you have any other suspension changes?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Banned

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...+shocks+kg%2Fmm
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...+shocks+kg%2Fmm

These threads may help you a bit and explain what you want to know. I am 100% pleased with my set up now. This is the best mod I have ever done to a car. The entire set up cost me about $1000.00 after I paid someone to do the install for me.

Quick Reply: **Shocks and Springs**