S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

**Shocks and Springs**

Old 12-06-2003, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Shocks and Springs**

Everyone. I plan on buying shocks or springs but im not quite sure. I plan on buying springs because the stock s2000 springs are pretty rough on roads like u can feel when u go over a tiny bump. I wanted to get some feedback on which brand of springs are the most reliable, wont lower my car as low as it is stock, and i guess what makes the ride a good ride so that u dont feel every little nook and cranny(isnt this refered to as stiff springs?). Shocks im not quite sure, do we need them to be replaced? in order for a smooth ride do i go with shocks, springs, or both, and what brand???
thanks for your help guys/gals
Old 12-06-2003, 08:16 AM

I think you should get a 350Z.

To improve ride, you can upgrade the dampers.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:23 AM

Old 12-06-2003, 09:29 AM

if youw ant just shock's alone Koni's make good shocks that are adjustable. you can set them to a soft ride. other wise if you want coilover almost all the major brands, buddyclub, tein, zeal and so on are very very adjustable. you can set them to your likings.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:11 AM

Um, it sounds like you're wanting less stiff springs. Unless I'm mistaken, a stiffer spring will make the bumps in the road more pronounced, but will also improve handling.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:26 AM

If you have the bank account to support coilovers, and want a smooth ride, you may want to check out the Tein Type CS. CS stand for Comfort Spec. The springs are softer than most coilover set-ups, and the dampeners are 16 way adjustable (soft to firm). As a bonus, with a coilover you can adjust your ride height to match your custom wheels and lower profile tires (if you planned to do this in the future).

Also, if you have the stock S0-2 tires, they are pretty rigid, and the older they get the stiffer the sidewall becomes. I went to an 18" wheel and S0-3 tires, and even with the lower profile tire, the ride is not as harsh as the stock 16" S0-2's.

If you decide to go with the Teins, and you don't mind driving 1.5 hours, John at Autosport Addiction in Stockton, CA quoted me $1450 plus $160 for install on the Type CS, which is a really good price, and they do great work!

If you want to go shocks and springs, Koni Yellow (adjustable) mated with the Kg/mm springs have gotten a pretty good review by board members, but if your concerned about ride quality, I would get the Super Sports not the Race.

Good Luck!
Old 12-06-2003, 11:23 AM

I just replaced my stock S-02 tires with Yokohama ES100's and the car rides MUCH better! But...The trade off is a little less dry grip.

Markk
Old 12-06-2003, 12:28 PM

shocks over springs for sure. Koni's are perfect, and they have them through tirerack.com. The stock shox really suck.

If you want coil overs groundcontrol is the best bang for your buck by far. You get to choose your spring rates/shocks and set it up REAL nice to YOUR liking and needs.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:14 PM

My .02 says wait until Feb.-Mar. when Tein releases the FLEX kit for our cars. It should still provide a comfy street ride quality along with a little more aggressiveness than the CS kit that they offer now for street comfort.
Del
Old 12-06-2003, 01:47 PM

shocks over springs for sure. Koni's are perfect, and they have them through tirerack.com. The stock shox really suck.

If you want coil overs groundcontrol is the best bang for your buck by far. You get to choose your spring rates/shocks and set it up REAL nice to YOUR liking and needs.

Quick Reply: **Shocks and Springs**