S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

***Help! Bumper plug question....?***

Old 09-02-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Help! Bumper plug question....?***

I just tried to put the bumper plugs onto my car, but the bracket ("screw-holder") that the bumper plug goes into, fell off and is now in my bumper. i just bought this car about 3 wks ago and i have two options. i can either glue the bumper plug onto the bumper, or hopefully i can bring it back to the dealership and have them fix the bracket. i'm worried that the bumper won't fit the way it fits now (ie, when you remove something from you car and put it back on, it doesn't fit the same).

any suggestions? i would take the bumper off and do it myself, but i don't know how to do it, and am not really handy at car stuff....

any help would be appreciated!

thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's a "bumper plug"?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...I lost a sidemarker clip in my MY2000 years ago. I just chalked it up to bad luck, although I had a new sidemarker to put on there, so I don't know.

I have been conditioned to not trust the dealer for ANYTHING. I hope you get help man.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:40 PM

the bumper plug is a plug that's the color of your car that fits into the screw holes that hold the front lincense plate.....
Old 09-02-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeewLay,Sep 2 2005, 07:40 PM
the bumper plug is a plug that's the color of your car that fits into the screw holes that hold the front lincense plate.....
Oh! I have front plates....
Old 09-02-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The only way to get that plug bracket is to take the bumper off. If you wait too long it'll rattle its way out of the car and it'll be gone for good.
If you don't want to take the bumper off and don't care about the bracket, then do this:
Get some thin 3M film and make a couple of holes in it to push the plug into. Use a thin layer of clear silicone seal on the underside of the plug and glue it to the 3M film. Once cured and it's stuck on there real good, cut the film to the shape of the plug. Peel off the backing and install it over the holes. This way, if you ever want to remove them, it's easier to pull off 3M film than it is to get rid of all the glue you plan to use to hole them on.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:54 PM

xviper,

what 3m film are you talking about?

thanks!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the same stuff they make the ClearBra, etc, out of. They use it to cover the frontal surfaces to protect the car from rock chips and bugs.
It's official name is 3M Scotcal Film. It also goes by "Xpel", Invisible Bra, Stongard. All you need is a small leftover piece.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:32 AM

xviper,
i went onto 3m's webpage and don't see it. you got a link?

seriously, this is driving me crazy! just got the car 3 weeks ago!!!!
Old 09-03-2005, 05:02 AM

xviper's approach is the best, by far.

But "best" isn't always necessary -- sometimes "good enough" works, too.

I cured precisely the same problem with small dabs of glue (not superglue, though -- I used the stuff that smells like acetone and claims to stick to anything. I suggest something that is gooey and sets quickly -- the holes are bigger than the plugs and you'll need to hold them in place to make them set straight.). If I ever have to take the plugs off, it'll be a bitch, I'm certain. But that's not in the plan.

Also, I haven't had any issues with the threads or brackets or whatever fell off -- haven't heard them rattle or anything. I don't even know if they're still in there. HPH

Quick Reply: ***Help! Bumper plug question....?***