S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Z4 vs S2000

Old 05-19-2005, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z4 vs S2000

All of my encounters so far had been brief, disjointed runs, where one of us had to make a turn so soon, too much traffic, etc. And many times I wasn't lucky enough to go against a car that mattered anyway. Always seems like when I do see a car I'd like race, whether I get beaten or not (cause I know there's many faster cars out there and I just don't care if I get creamed), it's never the right circumstances.

So yesterday I'm on a parkway with a 50mph speed limit, stopped in the right had lane at a light, and a Z4 pulled beside me. I'd been close but never had the chance to race one. I'm no sprite, but he was older than me and had his daughter in the car. So I wasn't sure if he wanted a go at it, but I sensed he was interested.

The light turned green, we both pulled through the intersection at a fairly slow pace. At around 15 mph, and with the Z4 about a half car ahead, I sensed he was going to stab it, so I decided to. It was the right call because we both hit it at about the same time.

It all happened so fast and I was concentrating on my shifts (which fortunately went well), but I do recall that I was passing him while in 2nd gear. After my shift to 3rd I had pulled two car lengths past him (my top was down and I could easily glance back over my shoulder). I think I was doing around 55 in 3rd when I started to ease up a little; never got past 60. He pulled up fast behind me after I had slowed to 35 to take a right at the next light, so apparently, being in the left lane at the prior light, he thought he could take me before the next light. He was right on my ass when we went around the turn, so maybe he was pissed. It's supposed to be fun, win or lose, right?

Not the fastest or longest run, just short and sweet. And, unless he was modded, he was at a disadvantage with the added weight of his daughter and my fairly modded car. But it felt good anyway.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:00 AM

nice run
Old 05-19-2005, 06:18 AM

Nice run. Most certainly a 2.5 liter
Old 05-19-2005, 06:47 AM

Maybe it was. I just figured he was stock but with the larger engine and had a disadvantage with his weight and my mods.

Anyone know how a 3.0 liter 6 (not sure if that's the size of the larger engine) would do against an 04 with SC+AC, 4.57's, lightened flywheel, and Mugen header? Just curious so I can get a better perspective on the race.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:32 AM

the 3.0 got its ass handed to it by the s2k on the track and in performace in general in a recent article.

The 1/4 numbers are close with the S about .3 seconds faster.

I think that the Z4 would be faster with a lesser driver as the extra low end power could help for a poor launch.

If you were both rolling it could very well have been a 3.0, especially if he had a second person in the car.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:57 AM

Thanks; makes sense. It would be nice to think it was a 3.0, for future reference and just because it makes me fell better about the race.

And I really wasn't too worried at the light, especially since I'm not aware of many people modding their Z4's. Maybe they do and it's more common than I think, but I haven't seen any yet.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like when you took off at the light at a moderate roll he figured he would be able to pass you and get into the right lane to make his turn.

You assumed he wanted to run but to him you just accelerated so he couldn't pass....

Perfect example of miscomunication.....

Z4's with Dad and daughter shouldn't be a challenge..
Old 05-19-2005, 09:42 AM

That may be, but there is no question he got on it hard, which tells me, whether or not he wanted to go straight or ahead of me into my lane, that he was racing. He certainly was revving high through his gears until about 50mph.

And, after pulling out slower than my cars would, we got on it at almost exactly the same time, as if we were both waiting to see who acted first. Maybe there was miscommunication on the type of race, but it was a race no less. And better than anything I've had a chance to experience against another car since owning the S.

What was really satisfying is that my house is right around the corner. A nice little rush before getting home (although my girlfriend wasn't too happy about the story).
Old 05-19-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it was 3.0

especially after seeing the vid of a stock S vs. S w/ 4.57 gears and ur SC too!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:36 AM

Yeah, I saw that vid. Not to open that debate again, but, even though I noticed a very nice acceleration gain over stock with 4.57 gears (no SC at that point), it wasn't nearly as dramatic as adding the SC, which made the most difference of any mod I've made to date. I doubt I would've pulled two cars on the Z4 with just a gear change.

Quick Reply: Z4 vs S2000