S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Why are mustangs so greatly hated?

Old 12-05-2001, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by elanderholm

you know what is even funnier..the jetta is about 4 from the bottom....i can't believe volkswagen can sell a piece of crap like that....crazy...i guess people like the way they look....people are dumb
I have friends who owned Jetta & Golfs... they do have various small problems... mostly
interior rattles which does get really annoying... but generally the car is solidly build and
materials are good inside and out (except some plastic hoses found in engine bay)...
To me, they represent good value for German cars....
Old 12-05-2001, 11:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JT-KGY
[B]

I have friends who owned Jetta & Golfs... they do have various small problems... mostly
Old 12-08-2001, 07:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There's no reason to hate Mustangs at all, and no reason to hate most drivers of any particular car, BUT it is disappointing to see the name "Cobra" used by any car company -- it should have been retired when Carroll Shelby stopped producing the original AC Cobras. Now that was a car.
Old 12-08-2001, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate is way to strong a word, but I definately dislike the current mustangs (Cobra's not included). Having driven several V8 convertables I was very disappointed with the boat-like drive. All were automatics, and they accelerated slower than my Saturn LS1!

At the track my dislike grew even more as their drivers were constantly passing against stated rules, to the point of being publicly ejected for the day. Very obnoxious drivers...but I do realize that they do not represent the average owner (I hope).

Not to meantion that they would then power by me at on the long straights. Obviously the stick shift variety accelerate much better
Old 12-09-2001, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by eyescream
It's the drivers in Mustang......not Mustang.....
They think they r all that...
That's so true, it's like guys who drive raised trucks, can't say hate, but man my feeling come close... being a non-white, it's different, just had too many bad/racial experiences with white Americans driving Mustangs/raised trucks...
Old 12-09-2001, 03:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shoyu Burner
[B]IMHO, my 2 cents:

At a biological level, this dislike results from our human decision-making mechanism.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by DJSang

Most of what you're saying makes perfect sense, however, gross generalizations begin to be made until a very out of whack conclusion is formed. People hate mustangs for different reasons, and it does not always have to do with identity. I think S2000 is a far superior car than the mustang, and I think that not based on a simple superiority complex, but just look at quality, technology, worksmanship, pride in that worksmanship, safety, comfort, just everything.

Mustangs do have a long tradition, but so do Honda's roadsters, and I did not want to be part of a shabby, mostly single race culture, car, and plus it's just plain ugly. I hate talking about race because it shouldn't matter, but to me it does. Have you gone to a classics car show? Or, a mustang car show? How would an Asian American like me fit in, not very well...
yah, if you went to a muscle car show some people there might not like you cuz you were asain. I have a friend who is half vietnamese and half korean....the most racism she has ever experienced is from other asians....so lets not get into this who is more racist bull shit. Koreans don't like her cuz she's half vietnamese and vice versa....all cultures have their problems with racism. You grouping people who choose to drive a certain car automatically with racists is very racist. The superiority complex seems to lie with you not with the mustang owners who supposedly hate you. Maybe some mustang owners would hate you for being asain...I don't know... but you have made it obvious the way you feel about white people who drive mustangs.....
Old 12-09-2001, 11:43 PM

Whoah, don't get the wrong idea, I don't like the car and I don't much like how the mustang culture is mostly single raced, but I said nothing about not liking white people. You read way too much into what I said, and regarding having a superiority complex, I admit, I do have one, but it is not a racial superiority complex. (Being a bio major, every time I'm in class, I'm amazed at how complex human beings are) Discrimination and racism are similar, but a half viet/korean being discriminated against is not racism, it is discrimination, and it probably isn't until people know she is half that they discriminate/hate, not outright, up front like being a different "race," and not a different culture

It's almost uncanny how many white Americans will never admit to some of the stuff that they have done, and blame others for doing the same, using the two wrongs make a right argument.

I don't hate all mustang owners, I just have a bit of pain deep inside for the way many of them have treated me for looking different, even though I'm American. You have pain from people treating your friend a certain way, but then again, it wasn't you personally, and you didn't grow up with it. This is why a few of my friends hate mustangs also.

Please look at this through my eyes, that is all I ask...
Old 12-10-2001, 02:09 AM

no offense but this is a dumb post.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by integrate
no offense but this is a dumb post.

Quick Reply: Why are mustangs so greatly hated?