S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Why are mustangs so greatly hated?

Old 12-02-2001, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys,
I enjoyed your feed back, I'm glad to hear that there are alot of you who do not stereotype all Ford drivers. Like some of you have stated, it depends on what you drive. If you drive a Ford, Civics and Camaro's flip you off and think you suck. If you drive a Honda, Mustang drivers do the same. Pretty messed up isn't it? I guess I just haven't noticed Mustang drivers being such pricks. But now that you mention it, there is a kid in town who owns a 2000 V6 Mustang and he thinks quite a bit of himself. He even flipped me off one time, I guess because our stangs are the same color and he thought he should be the only one with a yellow Mustang. The punk didn't even know what a Cobra was, at least until I showed him when we both pulled up to a light together. It's a shame, it seems like it is the punk kids (who don't know what fast is), that are ruining the reputation of the rest of us car enthusiasts. I agree with all of you, regardless what the other guy is driving, if he comes off as a punk he needs to be shut down. That being said, I love the S2000 and respect all of you guys a great deal, I just ask that you please return me the favor.
Thank you,
Underdog

BTW Aus2k,
You forgot my favorite one:
Found On Reservation Dump
Old 12-02-2001, 08:18 PM

Underdog.... Most Mustang drivers I know are very cool people. At the supermarket this weekend a Cobra guy drove over to my car and said he really liked the S2K. He was a really cool guy. We chatted for a whle and we both respected each other's car. There will always be the few bad apples in every car group. I don't think too many people here hate the Mustang at all, we are just a very competitive bunch. The import vs. domestic argument will infinitely remain.

I actually have a friend who has a 99 Mustang GT with a Vortech S/C'ed with approx 450 hp at the wheels. He was tired of losing to me, so he put on the S/C. Now he pulls on me like I'm standing still.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:06 PM

MUSTANG = FORD(cheap horsepower)
FORD = Crappy cars
MUSTANG COBRAS = Always on recalls
FORD = NO resale value!!!

Everytime there is a recall by an auto manufacturer, you know it's gotta be FORD
Why???
Old 12-02-2001, 11:39 PM

What's with all this flipping off craziness? I've never been flipped off on the road by someone just looking at my car, maybe a couple times for doing some not so safe driving, but never without provoking. I seem to get along fine with every kind of owner of every kind of sports car fine. Occassionally there's a comment made such as "rice, japcrap, american piece of sh!t", but it's always been just part of friendly trash talk between racers. I don't get How could you possibly judge character and personality from a car? What about someone like me, who owns a '99 steeda mustang GT, and just recently purchased an s2000....am I bad or good? Factis you won't know that until you've known me... Aznrocket your statement is just garbage and everything about it is wrong
Old 12-03-2001, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by peterpan
MUSTANG = FORD(cheap horsepower)
FORD = Crappy cars
MUSTANG COBRAS = Always on recalls
FORD = NO resale value!!!

Everytime there is a recall by an auto manufacturer, you know it's gotta be FORD
Why???
Give it up man, before I start coming up with acronyms about the S2000's unreliability and give these poor Mustang owners some ammo against fools like you!
Old 12-03-2001, 04:33 AM

IMHO, my 2 cents:

At a biological level, this dislike results from our human decision-making mechanism. When making choices, we judge and weigh our options. Once we decide against something, we are reluctant to give it any more consideration. We must dismiss these discarded things otherwise we would be in a constant state of indecision.

At the conscious level it's an emotional issue.
In the small picture, it's a guy thing. Which is why the girls don't drive by and give anybody the bird for no reason. A lot of young males who are car enthusiasts link their choice of automobile to their ego/image/pride/self-esteem. So they will dog on everything else to feed their own self-image. Might be just as much subconscious as it is a conscious choice. Thus, a highly emotional matter as well. Which in turn leads to people shooting their mouths off.

In the big picture, this revolves around the pack mentality. We try to associate with others that share our ideas and opinions or those we understand, and disassociate with the rest. And in the latter case, we criticize these differing opinions in order to justify our own choices. I think it is based on a fear that we might somehow be changed, or demean ourselves.
Basically, we don't want to be equals. We all want our opinions to be right, so in that sense we must dismiss all other opinions as 'wrong', and we vigorously defend ourselves to this end.

With maturity, this superiority complex is supposed to go away, but sadly this isn't necessarily the case. Which leads to all the crap going on in the world.

So to finally answer your question, some people don't like mustangs because it is an enthusiasts car with a long tradition that they haven chosen not to be a part of. They must now defend this decision thru bashing and flaming, or risk losing their own self-identity.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:14 PM

Go to http://www.auto.com/autonews/cwirh17_20000517.htm

S2000 is ranked 17th place and where is the mustang???
123rd place!

Which car is more reliable???
you don't have to be a rocket scientist genius to figure that out
Old 12-03-2001, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Underdog

BTW Aus2k,
You forgot my favorite one:
Found On Reservation Dump
lol , good to see you can have a joke too...

It's a shame, it seems like it is the punk kids (who don't know what fast is), that are ruining the reputation of the rest of us car enthusiasts.

I agree with this, at my school, kids will comment on the S2000, some repect it and also admire alot of other nice cars, but there are also those people, and i would say a fair majority that just dont know what they're talking about...Fortunately i have been luckly to ride in some very nice cars, Nice Japanese imports like Skyline GTR's and Various Nitrous Cars..They might not be the fastest, but they're are damn quick, and that goes for the S2000 too.

Some kids wil go on about how they drive their Lancer 1.8L 4-Cylinder Small Car and it's so quick, and it hammers etc...No Idea, i would guess they do the Quarter in over 20seconds...

Anyway i have to go now...

Aus2k,
Old 12-04-2001, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak for others but only myself. I don't hate mustangs because I don't and have never owned one. If I did I would certainly hate them.

I've driven 2 late model GTs, one convertible (1998) , one coupe (2000). The coupe was lightly modded, the convertible stock. These are two of the WORST cars I have ever driven. Like armored personnel carriers. Impressive amount of torque (like an armored personnel carrier) and after driving my S2000 I couldn't get over the sub-6000 RPM redline. Both were absolute total crap. shakes, rattles, lousy seats, brakes, yucky awful cars. They were not faster than my S2000, either of them. My destain for both of these two tanks cannot be described in words.

It's also amusing that the coupe driver was boasting about how he was doing 170 on I-5 earlier in the evening but due to complicated circumstances later I ended up borrowing it. The speedo only goes to 150
Old 12-04-2001, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by peterpan
Go to http://www.auto.com/autonews/cwirh17_20000517.htm

S2000 is ranked 17th place and where is the mustang???
123rd place!

Which car is more reliable???
you don't have to be a rocket scientist genius to figure that out
you know what is even funnier..the jetta is about 4 from the bottom....i can't believe volkswagen can sell a piece of crap like that....crazy...i guess people like the way they look....people are dumb

Quick Reply: Why are mustangs so greatly hated?