S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Why are mustangs so greatly hated?

Old 12-01-2001, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are mustangs so greatly hated?

Please, I am not trying to start a flame war.
I was just curious why so many here have a strong passionate hate for mustangs. I have seen quite a few threads where an S2000 owner is reporting how he whooped up on a mustang. Not that I doubt this, on the contrary, I believe every word. But this is often followed by a post stating, "good job, way to keep those mustang guys down." Now if you haven't noticed I do own a mustang cobra, but what difference should this make, I am an automotive enthusiast like so many of you. I happen to think the S2000 is one of the greatest cars you can buy for 30,000, and I seem to be more impressed by them all the time (this is why I'm a member at this site). I also belong to a cobra forum where everyone I have chatted with there is equally impressed with the S2000. I guess I just don't understand where the hatred comes in. The stock mustang is in no way in the same class as the S2000. The GT on the other hand is a little bit more of a contender (99-01). I think a race between these two cars could go either way depending on driver and all the other usual variables. Now I do understand that some mustang drivers do have an attitude problem, but that goes for anybody, regardless what they drive.( I've had more run-ins with civic drivers than anybody, it seems they put a sticker on thier car and think they just added 40 horsepower) this does get irritating and I can see where some of you are coming from. So please answer this thread responsibly, I would like well thought out educated answers. Please I don't want "because they suck" or "because they are slow", Be honest, and think about what you say before you put your foot in your mouth. From one auto-enthusiast to another.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:42 AM

It's not Mustangs. It's FORD, I don't like their products.

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily
FORD = Found On the Road Dead
etc.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:49 AM

i like anything thats under the svt line of ford except the focus
Old 12-01-2001, 06:34 AM

You will find people on all boards that feel the need to "prove" their car is better than the next. I would'nt say the majority of us hate Mustangs.

I have had the opportunity to drive a Cobra and early Cobra R. Sweet rides.
Old 12-01-2001, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the drivers in Mustang......not Mustang.....
They think they r all that...
Old 12-01-2001, 08:08 AM

Its not the car to most people its the cocky rednecks who think a 4 cylinder is trash . I have friends with mustangs who respect imports so i dont mind him or his mustang, But its the poeple always thinkin that imports arent worth shit until they get smoked by one Then they would say they misshifted or some sorry exuse because no way there big muscle head v8 lost to a finley tuned peice of art that we call a honda vtec motor
Old 12-01-2001, 09:23 AM

I don't hate the mustangs but I just don't like their style too much, kinda that generic ford typical everyone has one style. But I don't deny that they're pretty quick cars. Especially the new Cobra R, it's definitely fast but just not my style. I'm more of a Euro or Jap import kinda guy.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:54 AM

This kind of crap happens no matter what car you have. There is always hatred for some reason. Its the same thing with prejudice/racism. People sterotype. If your Black, then you must be some crack dealing gangster. If your Mexican, then you must have 20 brotheres and work on a farm. Its just a bunch of BS really.

But, the other side is that there are people like you who can look past what the person is driving and see that we are really just 2 car enthusiasts.

I hate it when fellow Subaru owners start making fun of Hondas. Don't get me started on that...
Old 12-01-2001, 10:24 AM
Former Moderator

I usually go ou to the illegal street races on Fri and Sat nights. To be honest I usually hang out with the domestic crowd. I think alot of the Mustang talk is because our cars are so close in performance (in a staight line anyway). I personally don't feel like I have something to prove every time I drive by somebody unlike most of the Civics and Integras out there. I don't have anything against Mustangs really. It's more of a friendly competition thing for me. I will post here sometimes about a Mustang kill but thats only because I'm happy i beat a V8 in an i4. Not because I hate Rustang....oops....Mustangs BTW my buddy has a 98 Cobra. He hands me my ass on a regular basis
Old 12-01-2001, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is because Mustangs are a performance-value big-engine car. Too many street-racer kids own them and drive as expected. Many of us are up for the challenge but don't go around 'starting' it. There are tons of 5.0 models around. The equivalent Camaro is more expensive. That's one reason it didn't survive (stopping production) while the Mustang continues selling well.

The root of the most passionate dislike is probably an import-vs-domestic debate.

I used to have a 66 Mustang. I like Mustangs, they taste great when you eat 'em.

Quick Reply: Why are mustangs so greatly hated?