S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Why I Hate Vettes, By Wesmaster...

Old 03-06-2002, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I Hate Vettes, By Wesmaster...

Ok, I'm not sure if I hate Vette owners, or just all middle-aged men who are over-confident and cocky. I refuse to decide which it is...the mystery is too much fun.

So I'm on the way home from dinner, crusing on the highway. I spot a C4 moving across lanes ahead of me, and decide to move up towards him. There's enough traffic that I know nothing is gonna happen for a while. I end up behind this guy...and we're in the left-hand lane. He's going the speed limit ( ) with no cars in front of him. I just stayed behind him, waiting for him to either go or change lanes. I notice that he likes to use all of his lane. I mean, why stay in the middle of the lane when you can actually weave from dotted line to dotted line? He keeps this up for a while...until we come upon another car in our lane.

He now proceeds to stomp the gas, weave into the middle lane, pass this car, and whip back into left-hand lane...all in one motion. I don't even down-shift, but I follow him, and slide back in behind him...doing the speed limit, again. He does this "Watch me, I'm fast when I want to be" act 2-3 times. I do the "Watch me, I'm still right behind you without even trying" act 2-3 times. Traffic opened up ahead of us for a little ways, and he moves into the middle lane, and let's me pass. I speed up to my comfortable cruising speed, slightly above the speed limit. As I passed him I hovered my foot over the clutch just in case he dropped on me. Nothing. I kept going and watched my rear view to see what he did. Nothing. He's 20-30 car-lenghts back in a few minutes, and I forget about him.

About 5 minutes later, I see his lights coming up behind me. He gets all up on my butt. There's a car in front of me so I'm just chillin'. The car in front of me moves, and I see open lane. I check back to make sure the guy is still there, and ready. I downshift into 4th at about 85. I go to 1/2 WOT, making sure that he's ready to try to follow me...then I jam on it. I run out 4th, run out 5th, and he's 4-5 carlengths behind - trying to keep up. I slow down back to my cruising speed. I move around some traffic and the Vette doesn't follow. Once again he's out of my rear view and I forget about him.

Later, I come upon some traffic. and slow down. I notice a car coming up quickly behind me. As he gets closer I can see it's the Vette. The guy pulls up next to me and matches speed. I look over and he's yelling something, but all I can hear is Static-X blaring from my stereo. I turn the stereo down and yell, "What!?" He yells something, and I can't hear him at all. I can tell by the look on his face that he's not saying "Man I like your car!" Then, he makes the international hand gesture for "mullah". Whatever. I make it back, and laugh. I hear him yell, "Show me! Show it to me!" I just bust up laughing...mainly because my wallet is completely empty. He kept talking mad smack, and I just laughed at him - visibly while looking at him. We both had traffic in front of us, so it's not like I could rev and drop on him. I just kept laughing at the guy every time he said something. All that did is irritate him.

He wasn't paying much attention to what was in front of him so he quickly got stuck behind a semi and couldn't follow me as my lane moved on. I never saw him after that. So dear sir, I know you're out there. I'm sorry that your wife divorced you. I'm sorry that your mid-life crisis isn't going as well as you planned. And mostly, I'm sorry that you could only afford a C4.

Disclaimer: No, I don't actually hate all Vettes.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:24 AM

HAHA. Man I love your stories you know that. You should get into writing books. Maybe you could make some money. What about I do not know.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice story Wes....

Hey Glen (or whoever), chime in here, I got a question for you....

What vettes run what 1/4 miles? Someone was trying to tell me some vettes in the late 70's or early 80's run 15's stock..... is that true? What vettes are actually close to the S2000's high 13, low 14 1/4 mile time??
Old 03-07-2002, 06:37 AM

From what I've seen a stock C4 would be a decent match for the stock S2000.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:45 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wisconsin S2k
[B]Nice story Wes....

Hey Glen (or whoever), chime in here, I got a question for you....

What vettes run what 1/4 miles?
Old 03-07-2002, 06:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by glen5839
[B]

70's and 80's vettes are probably in the 15's yes.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:07 AM

I heard someone say "LS4" once, is there such a thing, or maybe he meant LT4?
Old 03-07-2002, 07:17 AM

no such thing

LT1, LT4, LT5, LS1, LS6

those are the latest V8's from GM with the LS1 and LS6 engines being the latest (GenIII blocks).
Old 03-07-2002, 08:04 AM

Wes I agree with you 100%, but most of the vett guys in Houston are cool. Damn, you for reminding me I can't find my Static-X cd. Love racing C4s with no mods or few, killing them with a SHO is funny as hell.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by shoracer
Wes I agree with you 100%, but most of the vett guys in Houston are cool.
Yeah, I know, just had to make the post more exciting. I've had two run-ins with C4 punks that were cussing me out in 2 weeks, so I'm somewhat bitter. I just think they look at the car, and say "surely that little roadster can't be that fast". <shrug> Ignorance is bliss.

Quick Reply: Why I Hate Vettes, By Wesmaster...