S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

What Permutation of Rational Thought...

Old 10-01-2001, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just replying to the outrageous thread topic

"Is the Honda S2000 fastest car ever?"

obviously not
Old 10-01-2001, 04:42 PM

I'm not "dissing" the S2000. I love the car just responding to if its the fastest.
Someone talked about suping up a camaro or vette...yuck!!!!
If I'm going to spend money on a sports car I want something that had some thought put into it. porsche, ferrari, honda (acura)have all designed sports cars with engineering excellence. dont even compare these fine autos with vettes or camaros. the american solution to developing a sports car is just stuffing a chassis with the biggest engine possible.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by max_payne
[B]made the S2000 the fastest car ever?
The Honda s2000 is a great car, but the lack of torque really dimishes its favorability. Trust me I've owned or test driven Porsches, the NSX, and the S2000. For sure it can accelerate and handling is pretty good, but half the fun in sports cars comes from the torque...that incredible feeling of being pushed back in your seat as you rocket past 100mph!
Many people claim the S2000 is the best bang for the buck. I disagree. You can find a 94-95 Toyota Supra Turbo with reasonable miles for around 22K from the Autotrader and then with a mere $2000 (downpipe, exhaust, turbo timer) you can turn an already powerful 320hp car into a 400-450hp beast with equivalent amount of torque. The handling on the Supra is amazing as well.
This new beast of yours is not only drivable every day, but will toast any non-modified S2000, M3s (yep, even the new one), M5, or Porsches out there. Heck you can go against the Modena or Viper! All for around 25K!!! Now thats bang for your buck. The word is getting out though and I've noticed prices going higher.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by max_payne

obviously not
I think you misspelled "The S2000 is the fastest car known to man...." And instead of replying, you actually started a second thread. HTH.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:21 PM

obviously not
did you happen to read the thread?
Old 10-02-2001, 11:55 AM

obviously not
did you read the thread...or just the topic??
Old 10-02-2001, 11:58 AM

I'm not "dissing" the S2000. I love the car just responding to if its the fastest.
Someone talked about suping up a camaro or vette...yuck!!!!
If I'm going to spend money on a sports car I want something that had some thought put into it. porsche, ferrari, honda (acura)have all designed sports cars with engineering excellence. dont even compare these fine autos with vettes or camaros. the american solution to developing a sports car is just stuffing a chassis with the biggest engine possible.
dude, not only are you annoying you are freaking stupid. A vette doesn't compare to a porsche..wtf?? where you been since the Z06 has been out...driving a civic would be my guess....

yeah, no thought went into the new vette...the engine was co-developed with Lotus, it can pull over a G in the skid pad, run the 1/4 in right around 12.0, 0-60 in 4 secs, eats the 911 turbo on most tracks, has a super tight chassis, and all that for 50k..show me one Honda, Porsche, or Ferrari that does anything even close to that? (and when is say "that" i mean all that ...even the part about the price!!) Make it a new car too...that would be nice...so it is a fair comparison...not ... " YO YO, my boy has civic yo..that runs 10's yo..yo yo!! " ....GO AWAY and take steve c and the other trolls with you....arghh....

when will this madness end......
Old 10-02-2001, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by elanderholm

yeah, no thought went into the new vette...the engine was co-developed with Lotus, it can pull over a G in the skid pad, run the 1/4 in right around 12.0, 0-60 in 4 secs, eats the 911 turbo on most tracks,
Hmmmm...you must be referring to one of the American mag test reports. Benchracing is always funny. The Z06 hardly "eats" the 996TT on most tracks.

As you know the driver makes the biggest difference but if you had actually run a Z06 vs. a 996TT on a track you would understand that the Z06 cars tend to have brake fade problems as a session progresses, are slower, especially between 60-130, etc., etc.

Great cars. Lots of fun to drive with them. All of the owners that I have met have been cool folks.

However, to claim that the Z06 "eats" the 911 Turbo is specious.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:19 PM

Agreed, the Z06 is a phenomenal bargain for the money. I drove a 2002 the other day, who can resist the financing that GM is offering in addition to which I get the GM family discount. Unfortunately for GM, it still wasn't incentive enough for me to trade in the S2000, at least not now that it's turbocharged. A 911 Turbo (or whatever late model iteration there of) is an amazing all around car. My guess is that a Z06 will have a hard time keeping up with a Porsche on any kind of tight track where it's horsepower won't make up for other short comings. I'm not knocking the Z06 but surely you can't expect it to compete with a car that has been winning races for almost 40 years. Keep in mind that GM has a much broader market focus than Porsche does. Personally, I thought the Z06 felt heavy, had a terrible gear box and has the usual 'cheap feeling' GM interior. On top of it all, they put 'run crap' tires on the thing.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck
[B]My guess is that a Z06 will have a hard time keeping up with a Porsche on any kind of tight track where it's horsepower won't make up for other short comings.

Quick Reply: What Permutation of Rational Thought...