S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Viper gts gets lucky...

Old 04-17-2002, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was headed to school last night...

I pulled onto 59N and see this viper about 8 orso lengths ahead of me, so I close in for a better look . When I was about 2 back from him, he jumps over a couple lanes and takes off thru traffic.

I figured oh well, just wanted to get a closer look. Apparently the guy in the viper was headed the same direction as me, cause he ended up cutting back into my lane just in front of me. We were entering the interchange between 59N and 610N, both in the right lane of the 2 lane ramp.

I assume he sees me now, and wanted to show his muscle... he drops the hammer, comes up on traffic and tries to whip around it; pulls into the left lane, goin prolly bout 80 orso, and what does he see but a line of stopped cars about 40 feet from him . He stomps on the brakes... (at thispoint I know there is gonna be a NASTY WRECK, and slow way down)

He lays about 30 feet of rubber trying to stop, and is right on the last car in line, then he cut the wheel and pulls in front of me, fishtailing about 5 times. He missed the wall by this much ||. Finally he regains control and stops...

I wasn't even involved in his near wreck experience, but it sure got my adrenaline pumping. I couldn't help but grin . It was a really nice save (of his life, a sweet car, and prolly about the next 4 or 5 cars in line).

Anyways we exit westheimer and go our separate ways. I wanted to give him a thumbs up or something, but never got a chance to pull along side.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:50 AM

Doesn't sound to me like a "really nice" anything! The things some people will do to look good.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:59 PM

Okay, so let me get this straight...You said he was going 80mph or so and he changed into a lane with stopped cars about 40 feet away. Is that right??
The 70-0 braking distance on a GTS is 172ft impending lockup, and usually those test numbers are not achievable by ordinary drivers. So I'm just wondering how the heck did he manage to stop from 80mph to a stand still at a mere 40 feet!!?? If he did, I'd like to know what kind of brakes he got. I'd want one too, so I'd never have to rear end somebody due to insufficient braking
Old 04-17-2002, 05:04 PM

Sounds like the guy did a "really nice" job at making himself look like an idiot. If this guy bought his Viper new, it goes to prove that money does not equal intelligence.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:26 PM

What did the Viper look like? Let us in Houston Know and we can give him sh%t next time we see him. Phrashant was it you?
Old 04-20-2002, 11:25 PM

What's the color of that Viper?
Old 04-21-2002, 06:51 PM
SinD

And everyone worries about people not knowing how to Drive S2K's?? Humph! I'm more worried about that poor defensless Viper I think he needs a good home with an owner that can drive :::ahemMEahem::::
Old 04-21-2002, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by SinD
And everyone worries about people not knowing how to Drive S2K's?? Humph! I'm more worried about that poor defensless Viper I think he needs a good home with an owner that can drive :::ahemMEahem::::
I'm ready to adop one.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:44 PM

i can also supply a nice home for one.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by nevert00fast
Okay, so let me get this straight...You said he was going 80mph or so and he changed into a lane with stopped cars about 40 feet away. Is that right??
The 70-0 braking distance on a GTS is 172ft impending lockup, and usually those test numbers are not achievable by ordinary drivers. So I'm just wondering how the heck did he manage to stop from 80mph to a stand still at a mere 40 feet!!?? If he did, I'd like to know what kind of brakes he got. I'd want one too, so I'd never have to rear end somebody due to insufficient braking
Read the post again and you will see he skidded for about 30 feet and then pulled into his lane, fishtailing while trying to bring the car under control.

Quick Reply: Viper gts gets lucky...