S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Upgraded SC'd SLK vs. da S

Old 07-13-2002, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my way back home from taking studio pictures with my girlfriend, I end up on a stop light with no one on the right or left lane (I was in the middle). A few moments later I see that a fixed up SLK with 18 inch Brabus rims cruises up to the left lane and stops at the light with me. I noticed this guy was going to make a left at the street before, but I guess he wanted to run me. I seen this guy before, too. He goes all around Frisco driving really fast (just like me ). I once asked what he has on the car and he says that he has an upgraded SC that pushes 240 hp. Thinking now would be a great time to embarass him, I look over and give him a nod, acknowledging him to the run ahead.

I never launch my car anymore (only for cars that I know will launch on me hard), so when the light turned green I slipped my clutch at 3K. He was ahead for a car length and I was just waiting patiently for VTEC to engage. 4K . . .okay when is 5800 coming . . . 5K . . .yawn . . . at last 6K . . .let the fun begin . Throughout the time it took for me to get to VTEC, the SLK already had a nice lead on me (about 1 1/2 cars); nevertheless, when VTEC hit, it was all over for him. At the end of 1st, I was at his bumper. 2nd gear flies by and my front bumper is ahead of his. Running out 3rd and I just basically rape him. A nice 3 car lenghts at 85+ mph and you have yourself a happy S owner . At the next stoplight I give him my usually thumbs-up , but he just acknowledged it with a nod. I then told him that he had nice rims, but he didn't say anything; guess he didn't hear me. Oh well, I always wanted to run this guy because he was always cocky with his ride. I shut it down, then I shut him up.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:33 AM

haha, nice.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an SLK230 with H&S pulley, GIAC ECU modification, Remus exhaust, and K&N airfilter and I still don't think I had 240 hp. With a pulley you are probably looking at 210 (even though pulley manufaturers claim 230-240 hp). When the S2K's first came out I raced 3 of them (won 2, lost 1 but that was before everybody learned how to drive them). A stock SLK230 runs high 6's-7 in 0-60, and low 15's in the 1/4. I ran consistent mid-high 14's. To get a SLK230 to S2K level performance would be very difficult. Nice kill though. About the only SLK that can run with a S2K is the AMG SLK 32 (but that would kill a stock S2K, but for roughly 2X the money). The SLK230 (unless very modded), and the SLK320 are no match.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:59 AM

I've owned a S2000 before, and it'd kill any SLK (other than the rare AMG) even if you launch from 1000rpm =). Only time I've won against a s2k in my SLKs was a really terrible driver who was shifting way too early (and slowly).
Old 07-15-2002, 12:46 PM

Yeah, SLKs are slow. Since he was flossin' a pulley upgrade, I thought it would be a good race. I guessed wrong. It sure was fun seeing his face; I bet he thought he was a contender .
Old 07-15-2002, 03:27 PM

I have an uncle that works at Daimler-Chrysler and actually looked at the SLK230 assuming (a) I could get a smokin' deal and (b) that I could bump up boost and have a nice ride with a retractable hardtop. Even with an employee deal I was looking at more $ than the S and then I saw the nightmare I'd have to go through to bump up the boost. No thanks.

Happy S owner,

Jimbo
Old 07-16-2002, 09:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fanman
[B]I had an SLK230 with H&S pulley, GIAC ECU modification, Remus exhaust, and K&N airfilter and I still don't think I had 240 hp.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mid 14's was from my car with all the mods. Stock it is a low 15 car, with my car (exhaust, pulley, chip, K&N), I ran mid 14's. It shaved about a consistent .5 sec off. That is probably what that guy your friend was racing is running.

What does the Type R run ? 174 whp (from a car that has 195 hp stock at the crank that would be less than 10% driveline loss) seems a little high, has he done something to it ?
Old 07-17-2002, 01:19 PM

Yeah watch out for the '32s. They are very quick and very underestimated by some people. I wish people wouldn't be so cocky and then lose. Oh well, good kill anyways.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:44 PM

GoFast, are you on mbnz.org SLK forums?

Quick Reply: Upgraded SC'd SLK vs. da S