S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Ticket for WATCHING Street Races

Old 03-04-2003, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket for WATCHING Street Races

I have heard of many stories of people getting spectator tickets for watching street racing. Can someone shed some light on this for me??? How much do the ticket usually cost and is there any problems getting one besides paying it up??? Thanks
Old 03-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Banned

Depends on the municipality...never heard of anything like this in Texas. I'm sure if anyone had them it would be Houston, but they don't.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:11 PM

Happens all the time in LA.

I had a few close calls myself. I had one instance where the cop went, "inni, minni, minnie, moe - tag your it!" and gave that person a ticket. Cop was lazy and the crowd was big. The ticket gets thrown out of court 98% of the time if you have no prior tickets that relates to street racing.

I would'n loose ANY sleep over it. At best, it is a minor infraction that might carry a $100 fine.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:10 PM

Yea, here in california they get crazy every now and then. I remember a few years back there were some big races street races in ontario and the cops rolled up with a few buses and arrested several hundred people.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Banned

I wish Wes or one of the Houston guys would post a link to the news articles about them arresting people for trespassing, since they apparently don't have spectator tickets...

Now they have a few multi-million dollar lawsuits on their hands.

Blake
Old 03-05-2003, 04:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in wisconsin they give out "loitering" tickets for those watching.

then again, they hardly ever ticket anyone at all. most times they drive through just to bust us up.... and in fact, sometimes the cops leave before everyone else has left anyways. lol
Old 03-05-2003, 05:19 AM

In Vegas they write down your plate number and send you a ticket in the mail, may impound your car and suspend your lisence. Sucks don't it?
Old 03-05-2003, 05:51 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I think any of these tickets could be beaten. Would they also issue tickets if you saw someone robbing a store? Witnessing a crime is not, to my knowledge, a crime in and of itself. Talk about ridiculous. I wouldn't worry at all.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Due to a law passed last year, in Florida it is a 2nd degree misdemeanor to participate in any manner in a street race. I could not tell you if spectating is being considered by the cops/courts as participation. The statute states:

a person may not in any manner participate in, coordinate, facilitate, or collect moneys at any location for any such race; ride as a passenger in; or purposefully cause the movement of traffic to slow or stop for, any such race, competition, contest, test, or exhibition (316.191 FS)

The penalties are very stiff. For the 1st offense: court appearance; minimum $250 fine; max $500; revocation of license for 1 year. 2nd offence: $500-$1000 fine and lose license for 2 years.

If the cop determines you were engaged in a street race, they arrest you and impound your car as well.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by negcamber
[B]Due to a law passed last year, in Florida it is a 2nd degree misdemeanor to participate in any manner in a street race.

Quick Reply: Ticket for WATCHING Street Races