S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Testing out a new intake

Old 04-10-2003, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A fellow S2000 owner got a new PRM intake (like his 3rd different one), so we had to test it out the old fashion way, since there's no dyno available at 12am .

Another S2000 (AEM intake) came along also. So we headed out to our destination. The S2000 with the PRM had a passenger. So obviously my car (stock intake) and the car with the AEM intake pulled on the S2000 with the passenger pretty easily.

So we had to make it even. Stopped at a place and dropped the passenger off . From my angle and from the speeds we were posting, I didn't see the other two cars pull on me. I could be wrong, b/c I wasn't behind . Flame on!!! I think the newly installed Mugen wing slowed him down...

Hitting 5th gear while the road curves is pretty scary and yes, stupid...

BTW, the car with the PRM intake used to pull on me.

"Sure looks pretty boss"
Old 04-11-2003, 01:22 AM

So you're saying a CAI wont' make a difference right? Why do you think they made it!

Just kidding, just kidding....honestly I think the advantage with a CAI can easily be canceled out by a better driver. I don't think a CAI will put 4-5 car lengths on a stock s2k either, according to some members. I believe it'll probably shave .1 sec off your 1/4.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha...I knew it.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:29 AM

I think a CAI helps out a car. I used to have one in my old car and I could somewhat feel a difference when I took it off. It sounded nice also, but I didn't miss hydrolocking the engine when I hit a puddle.

Kumar, I got a race for you. After I whip up on ur car, there's a kid with a white single turbo supra that would be a good match for you. He's the kid that used to have that red BPU supra.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Banned

I KNOW the AEM/INJEN CAI intake will put 3 carlengths on a stock S2000. Did it repeatedly. He admits it freely as well.

Blake
Old 04-11-2003, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you guys just do the pulls through one gear to see.

Like starting at 4th at about 40, just stand on it. Thats more of a dyno-ish measurment, since it cancels out shifting, and driver expertise.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:51 AM

We did runs from a 2nd gear punch.

Wow, 3 car lengths on a stock S2000 with an AEM/Injen intake. Maybe the car with the AEM intake has a stronger motor. Did you do runs before the intake? I've raced these guys many times. Pretty much the same results. When the car with the PRM intake had the MG Racing carbon fiber intake (the one that sucks in the air at the bottom of the car), it was about the same too. He took it off and put on the stock intake and it's about the same results too.

3 cars lengths is quite a big difference. That's almost supercharge territory.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:47 PM

best test is a 3rd gear roll from 40...not to fast to make a difference, and not to slow/high of a gear to bog out for a sec....i did this with Wis S2K a few times when he was stock, and i had the PRM....it did make quite a difference. Then he got the 4IGS2000 intake and a V-AFC....now hes ahead all the time
Old 04-11-2003, 06:25 PM

that was almost confusing.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Banned

The PRM I have a decent idea is not nearly as good as the Injen/AEM, since it doesn't get any of the ram air effect.

And no, that sure as hell is not supercharger territory. 3 car lengths at 100mph is about .3 of a second. Far less than supercharger territory.

I raced the guy with the stock S2000 from about 20 or 30. Up to 60 we were dead even, then from 60-100 or so I had pulled three cars. I raced another s2000 with an Injen intake, and we were dead even. So my engine wasn't stonger than his, and I doubt there are two "extra" strong engines in the same area. Not to mention, if my engine were stronger, I would have pulled through all the gears.

The Injen/AEM show about 5 HP on the dyno, which doesn't show how much it gets from the extra air at a high speed.

Blake