S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Street speed contest ticket :(

Old 12-09-2002, 03:58 PM
N8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Replying to scs2000's last post)

I was with a good friend (riding shotgun in his 300zx) in a small college town in WI last spring. It was late at night during Spring Break and NO ONE was around. He took a quick corner in 1st gear (but the tires didn't squeal!), revved it out and left it in second for the approaching stop sign. Just through the intersection a cop pulled out behind us, pulled us over, and wrote us a ticket for 'Unsafe and Imprudent' speed and cited us for going 44mph in a 25mph - using 'estimation'.

We were only doing 33 or 34mph at the most - so we took it to court. Neither ticket stuck - the relevant point here is that the cop said that the engine in the Z was very loud - so she knew that we were speeding. Well, at that speed in second gear with a performance exhaust - my friend's car is quite loud...so it's not tough to damage the cop's credibility if that logic is used.

Good luck fighting your ticket.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:12 PM

N8R
Thanks for your tip, I will use your loud exhaust argument.

With my case, this is what the Cop said. Point #1: He saw my car and the other car were changing lane at the same time. To him, it means we were racing. Couldn't be a coincident that we were changing lane? Point #2: He said that I was going so fast that he almost could not catch up. I was driving fast around 55-60 mph but not at 88mph when he pulled us over. He was either in the parking lot or at the corner of the intersection when he saw two loud exhaust cars were driving fast so he followed and pulled us over. I was just messing around with this older 300Z. I reved almost the end of 2nd gear and slow down as I shifted in 3rd. Could someone helps me to come up with a good argument?
Old 12-18-2002, 01:50 PM

Just for info. CHP officers when they certify on radar have to do 100 visual estimations and they have to be within 5 MPH of what the radar says, so when you ask how the hell did he figure it out, well it's called practice makes perfect.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:55 PM

Hey misternapps the way I see it traffic cops don't suck you do because you got caught. You would have a point if you never got stopped because that would mean that you were just that good, but you aren't. Look at the statistics in the past three years of death involved in some sort of speed contest and you will see why the big focus.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn, I feel like I've just gotten done watching one of those defensive driving films. I am going to have to slow down a bit. I've been driving like a road warrior for the past 17K miles without any tickets. I need to just quit while I'm ahead, since I can't afford the kind of fines you guys are talking about!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Station
[B]
The ticket I am currently fighting was also radar.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:37 PM

It is true get a lawyer ther will know how to handle it in court by making up a good story and using the information that you give him. But of all places Cali to get a ticket, the cops have a hardon for imports ever since the movie "The Fast and the Furious" came out and all those kids get into wrecks and have unsafe driving habits that keep imports and their drivers no matter who they are a bad rep from the get go. So just be carful and check out this web site...http://www.007radardetectors.com/...might help next time if the cops use radar. But the estimate thing is BS good place to start and if all else fails go after the cop for discrimination and sterotyping, or harassment.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:24 PM

Is it just California that allows you to contest your ticket without having to show your face? aka thru the mail?
Old 12-20-2002, 11:35 PM
N8R

Station...congrats!!! I am so impressed. I don't want a ticket, but I will follow your model when I get my next one...!
Old 12-22-2002, 09:05 PM

That night when the Cop pulled me over, he did something that were kind of bothered me. He said I was racing and I kept on telling him that I was not racing. He got upset and both of his hands were reaching for his gun. His hands never did touch the gun though. Both of my hands were on the steering wheel at all time so I knew that I did not make any move that cause him to reach for his gun. He did intimidated me with that action. Can I use this in court against him? Also, I gave him my driver license.
My birth date is in there, why did he ask me how old am I? Is it because I am asian and I look young so he thought that I am not the person in the driver license? Can I use this against him for discrimination?

Quick Reply: Street speed contest ticket :(