S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Street speed contest ticket :(

Old 11-23-2002, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street speed contest ticket :(

After years of street racing, I finally got a speed contest ticket at 88mph in a 45 zone. I was just messing around with an older 300Z and was not in full racing mode when I got pulled over. The officer only estimated how fast I was going and did not use radar. Is there anyway I could fight for this ticket or at least get the 88mph down? I will not participate in street racing for a very long time. Anyone knows about much this ticket going to be?
Old 11-23-2002, 08:15 PM

I just got through all of the bullshit from one of these tickets

2 points on my license
$1100
Had to enroll in the HAM program (visit a hospital and morgue and listen to some lectures about reckless/drunk driving)

It's a nightmare, I'd get a lawyer.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:30 PM

I agree, lawyer is the best way once you get penalized for that high of mph in such a low mph zone. Of course, him not using radar could obviously be used, but at 88, it's pretty obvious you were speeding indeed. Lawyers most always knock the penalties down. It'll cost you in the short run to get one, but in the long run, it may well be worth it (insurance-wise).
Old 11-24-2002, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Atleast you didn't get your car impounded. I went into court myself and spoke to the commissioner. He dropped it from a misdemeanor down to an infraction.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:52 AM

How fast were you guys going? On highway or in street?
Old 11-24-2002, 12:01 PM

Without radar, how in hell did he determine it was 88 mph?
Old 11-24-2002, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cop made a visual estimation of 80+ MPH. He was driving up the opposite side of the road when we passed him and he busted a U-turn. We were in a 50 MPH zone. He had no proof of our speed except for his Visual. Our clutches were pushed in when we passed him too so he didnt hear our engines thats for sure.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:44 AM

VTEC Racer

Did you try to fight for the ticket or you just pay the fine? Like Russ mentioned, how the hell did the cop determined the speed with out radar? I am thinking about using Ticket Assassin's to fight the ticket.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:20 AM

This happened to me as well. I was racing some camaro... (err..*cough* camaro v6 *cough*). Thankfully because it was a v6 camaro I put a car length on it quickly and shut it down early,at only ~10mph over the limit. I don't know where the cop was but after a few more lights down the road he pulled us over. Did NOT get my speed on radar (I hope you didn't admit to speeding or give him a number), and gave me a ticket for contest of speed.

Got a lawyer... initial meeting lawyer says that the fine is a 1-2 years license loss (plus fine which I can't remember at this time) and most insurance companies will not cover you with a racing ticket in your record.

I can't use the search or I would point you to my thread, but to make a long story short, because the cop never got me on radar and I never said I was going much over 5mph over I got it knocked down to wreckless opperation with a traffic school option. So in total it cost me $500 for the lawyer, $100 for the ticket, and because of traffic school, no points on my license. In other words, get a lawyer. A good one who is respected by judge and prosecutor.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by Russ
Without radar, how in hell did he determine it was 88 mph?
He probably saw the Flux Capacitor flashing

Quick Reply: Street speed contest ticket :(