S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Stock S2000 smokes Stock Talon

Old 10-14-2002, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, this thread is freaking me out. My "other car" is a 1st gen DSM Eclipse GSX. Since I drive the S 2000 and the Eclipse pretty much interchangeably I am amazed to read all this controversy. I obviously have never raced them against each other (Roman style perhaps?) but subjectively I think the GSX can walk the S to 60 from a dead stop. It might be a bit closer from the rolll. After 80, however, the S is gone, so I guess as always it's all in the launch. If the S is still in the race at 60 it will prevail at 100. IMHO.

The time of the year is coming however when the GSX comes into its own. A well-driven GSX with minor mods is virtually unbeatable on any wet surface.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Everest

The time of the year is coming however when the GSX comes into its own. A well-driven GSX with minor mods is virtually unbeatable on any wet surface.
Yeah, a "close to stock" AWD dsm is awesome in rain, but as the mods (read: power) increase, wet traction decreases sharply.

BTW Everest, two excellent choices in vehicles. Is your GSX modded? Are you on any DSM forums?
Old 10-14-2002, 01:31 PM

Just a few clarification to the newbies in this thread before it gets out of hand (it might be too late for that):

Rich 4 S2000 is a troll and he has no idea what he's talking about. Ignore him and he'll go away.

Wisconsin S2K is one of the few people that can actually drive the S2K well and get good times. He's also very well aware of his car's abilities but enjoys trolling other boards and writing up funny stories about his encounters on the street.

This whole thread is a response to a different "Stock Talon smokes Stock S2000" thread from the Toronto street racing board:
http://pub70.ezboard.com/ftorontostreetrac...picID=551.topic
If some of the posts look unreasonable or cocky, it's because those posters are imitating or ridiculing the posts from that original thread. There's a lot of sarcasm going around, and if taken out of context this thread can be a pretty bad representative of the s2ki population.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

errrrm zoran i saw one race that i don't no all the details about and u claim i dont no what im talking about??? Grow up my son n stoptryin to pick fights all i have said on this whole website is that i have seen a race between an s and a talo and that i have been in a well tuned s!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Rich 4 S2000
errrrm zoran i saw one race that i don't no all the details about and u claim i dont no what im talking about??? Grow up my son n stoptryin to pick fights all i have said on this whole website is that i have seen a race between an s and a talo and that i have been in a well tuned s!!!
No, you said you saw the S run the 1/4 in 10 seconds, which sounds like utter and complete bullshit.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:25 PM

This may sound like a stupid question, but what the hell is a DSM?
Old 10-15-2002, 04:35 PM

Diamond Star Motors, commonly used to refer to Eagle Talons, Mitsubishi Eclipses, Plymouth Lasers, and such. Basically all the same car, just slightly different fascia, badging, and interior options.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:58 PM

Very good 99GT. Most people don't know WTF a DSM is.

Heres a brief history:

Diamond Star Motors was the official name of an official partnership between Mitsu and CryCo. They cooperated on several earlier projects, including the Colt, for which Mitsu provided the power as well as the Starion/Conquest twins, and later the 3KGT/Stealth twins.

They then formed an official partnership in DSM, which produced cars in Normal Illinois. The Eclipse, Talon, and Laser were all produced there, each sharing the same platform and powertrain options. The Laser was discontinued in 94. The remaining Talon and Eclipse were Completely redesigned in 95, which we call the 2G, or 2nd Gens. In 98 Mitsu bought the rights to the Talon from CryCo, and discontinued Talon production in 98 to attempt to boost sales of the 99 Eclipse, knowing the 3G (MY2000+) Eclipse was around the proverbial corner. Though DSM technically no longer exists, the Mitsu/Cryco partnership is still in place, as they still build the 3G Eclipses and the Chrysler Sebring at the Normal Il plant.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:52 PM

Rich 4 S2000 just caused me to have a seizure. I hope he's happy. Uh oh. Here comes another one.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sloowgt y u havin a seizure? I dunn y evryone thinks m bullshittin cos i aint and i dunno y n e one would, its just a website

Quick Reply: Stock S2000 smokes Stock Talon