S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Stock S2000 smokes Stock Talon

Old 10-06-2002, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, so my curiosity was somewhat peaked and I wanted to see just HOW fast a STOCK AWD talon was. I went cruising a bit and found only one talon on Hwy 100, but it wasn't even a turbo.... I asked my friends if they knew anyone that had a talon. After a bit of asking around, my friend Derek said he knew a guy who had one.

He called his friend, and they showed up with the friend's brother (the friend's brother actually owned the talon). His friend didn't know a whole lot about my car, but he felt he could beat me. I asked him if he had any mods (other than the exhaust I could see). He said no, not yet. He was looking to get an eclipse GSX, but for the time being this was his ride. ((EDIT: he also had K&N filter..... oooooooo))

I told him I wanted to video tape it. In between all the whining and b*tching, he basically said he wouldn't race if I video taped it. Okay, unless he's a wanted felon, I don't see the problem, but whatever. (do i really need video evidence to prove I beat a stock talon?? ) I even offered to let him have the tape if he beat me, so he'd have evidence of taking down an S2000. No dice.

Alright, whatever. I said we'll race twice. Derek's friend started the race for us. We both revved and dumped. AWD is king off the line, and there's no debating that. He outlaunched me pretty damn good. However, by 2nd gear I was FLYING past him. By 100mph, we had to count the buslengths.

After that, he told me he didn't shift right. Mis shift I ask? No, he didn't shift right.... Whatever the F that means.

We raced again. Again he outlaunched me. Again I blew by him. Again, you would have to count the buslengths to 100mph. Afterwards, we talked for an hour about cars, which is always fun. And he now knows what an S2000 is and what a well driven one can do.

Stock talon beating an S2000? Sure... if the S2000 shifts at 5000rpm.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't raced one of these in the S, but I walked one with a boost controller in my '99 stang GT, with 3 people in my car. His response afterwards was, "oh you like racing 4 cylinders huh?"
Old 10-06-2002, 11:22 AM

Wisconsin your like the son I always wanted.

lol
Old 10-06-2002, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
[B]Haven't raced one of these in the S, but I walked one with a boost controller in my '99 stang GT, with 3 people in my car.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:02 PM

Finally we can put shut up these damn AWD Talon people!! GREAT KILL Wisconsin although you one because you had a "SIX CYLINDER" haha....
Old 10-06-2002, 12:46 PM

Thank you, Wisconsin! That post was starting to get to me! I've been on the prowl for one too!
Old 10-06-2002, 04:02 PM

Stock DSM's are a strange sort in the power department. A lot of times the older ones will be very slow for no reason at all. I drove a lot of them before i bought mine, and strangely, the highest mileage most beaten up car was the quickest of them all. There is no rhym or reason to it. I found that most of them are pretty slow.

Some of these idiots who think that their stock DSM is king of the streets just because its AWD are retarded.

Good kill.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:40 PM

Gentlemen, I've been quietly lurking about, but I feel I must add my $.02 now.

I'll make no excuses for the guy's on the "Toronto Street Racing" forum. They are idiots.

Stock for stock, equally driven, the S2K has an easy advantage over any DSM. A well driven Stock AWD DSM will run no better than high 14's, whereas a stock S2K can run much faster in the right hands.

However, what some of you seem to ignore is tha simple and inexpensive modifications to the DSM wll produce lots of power. Unfortunatley, the biggest problem with the S2K is the lack of aftermarket support, due in part to its relative "newness" as well as it's high state of tune in factor trim. This is not the case with DSM's as the factory 4G63 is quite capable, as many have take stock long blocks well past the 400HP mark. (believe it or not, it's true) The fact is, DSM's can be made VERY fast with little money, and while they may not have the appeal, or allure that your s2K has, if you happen across a well modified example on the street or at the track, you'll likely be seeing taillights.

www.dsmtimes.org
Old 10-06-2002, 08:31 PM

The 1st gen Talon/eclipse is pretty much the most economical performance I can think of. Easy as hell to get those things moving, and that awd helps a ton.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by 90GSX
Gentlemen, I've been quietly lurking about, but I feel I must add my $.02 now.

I'll make no excuses for the guy's on the "Toronto Street Racing" forum. They are idiots.

Stock for stock, equally driven, the S2K has an easy advantage over any DSM. A well driven Stock AWD DSM will run no better than high 14's, whereas a stock S2K can run much faster in the right hands.

However, what some of you seem to ignore is tha simple and inexpensive modifications to the DSM wll produce lots of power. Unfortunatley, the biggest problem with the S2K is the lack of aftermarket support, due in part to its relative "newness" as well as it's high state of tune in factor trim. This is not the case with DSM's as the factory 4G63 is quite capable, as many have take stock long blocks well past the 400HP mark. (believe it or not, it's true) The fact is, DSM's can be made VERY fast with little money, and while they may not have the appeal, or allure that your s2K has, if you happen across a well modified example on the street or at the track, you'll likely be seeing taillights.

www.dsmtimes.org
lol, dude you don't have to say the same thing in 2 different posts. and we know the potential of a modded turbo DSM. we aren't dolts like the guys on the toronto forum.

Quick Reply: Stock S2000 smokes Stock Talon