S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

SS Kill Story

Old 08-22-2002, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It almost sounds like a SS owner posted this topic.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:06 AM

Ok... I can't sit back anylonger and listen to this horse-hockey...

A link of interest for this forum:
http://www.tennesspeed.net/forums/showthre...=&threadid=2414

Originally posted by cthree
jimr,

It should be noted that there are half a dozen S2000's running sub 2:12s at Thunderhill this June and it was very hot! Lap times indicate how a particular car and driver did on a particular day but that doesn't indicate how a particular model of car will perform. The best time at TH this year was our own krazik running a 2:08 (I think). Even I ran better than a 2:17 with brand new RA1 tires that were slippery as hell.
Law of physics state the higher the temp of the track (hot temps, sun), the sticker the tire, no?
Originally posted by cthree
That aside, the SS is a very fast car, especially in a straight line at any speed. A well driven stock S2000 can keep up on most road courses with a similarly well driven SS but not all. Some of the S2000's cornering speed advantage is given up by the exit accelleration of the SS, especially on a track with long straights.
Bone stock, maybe... Put me behind the driver seat of that bone stock, and it may be a different story. It all comes down to that "who will push their car the hardest". You have to admit, several S2000 owners aren't going to squeel their stickies (not street tires, but race tires) to shave off a few miliseconds, in risk of spinning out around that 90mph curve up ahead (Road Atlanta).

Originally posted by nastinupe1
Of course, we know that this is becasue the lack of torque, but revving the car to 8500 RPMs on EVERY take off to get to the mere 153 lbs/ ft of torque is just not realistic.
See below...
Originally posted by STL
From http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html :
"It is better to make torque at high rpm than at low rpm, because you can take advantage of *gearing*."
There's upsides and downsides to that quote. But you'll need a close ratio tranny in ordered to keep max tq/hp to the ground. Compare what I just said to the Viper spec T56 tranny. The gear ratios are FAR from what is considered "close ratio". 1st gear ends at 52mph, 5th ends around 190mph. Still got a 6th gear. Gear that down to 6th maxing around 205mph, and you have a deadly machine.

Don't tell me it's possible to gear your S2000 to go 200mph (with turbo/nos to push it that high) and still road race.

And let's not forget what most of us use our car for. Street, daily commuters. Hell, my car is an "only" driver (only vehicle I own). It's nice to have over 700hp on tap (estimated). Not so in the rain.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PokS2k
[B]Looks like someone told on us
Old 08-22-2002, 06:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eduncan911
[B]Ok... I can't sit back anylonger and listen to this horse-hockey...

And Z06 Killer, I'd love to take a crack at you.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z06-KILLR
[B]

That is a nice Mustang you got there....all my buddies have SVT Cobras (the 01's) and a couple of them are trading for 03's...nice cars.....can anyone host a race of a "slightly modded Z" against a SC Cobra?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:06 AM

[B]Law of physics state the higher the temp of the track (hot temps, sun), the sticker the tire, no?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:47 AM

[B]
I can't wait until the 03 Cobra guys around here start modifying their car (pulley, new tune, no cats), cause it gets them up to almost 500rwhp.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z06-KILLR
[B]

Oh boy....fast is in the eyes of a beholder....

I could spend a whole 10 minutes writing about all that I have done to my Z but to put in plain and simple it is basically a 410rwhp car on pump gas and @ 15lbs of boost.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:50 AM

Damn.. I totally got off subject and didn't make my point. Working 12+ hour days for months on end will tend to force you yo be quick in the post.

I agree with you Mystic_350 that most posts turn into a pissing match. Sawwy.

My original thought was to back SupermanSS up (the SS that raced the S2000 on this post). His car isn't running good at all. 100% bone stock, plus an MP3 CD system. He does have custom center exit exhaust (good sound), but I don't it does much for power.

The car's having serious issues (exhaust gaskets leaking, ticking sound under the hood, running really rough = i.e. miss). Still under warranty. I think he got a car built on a Monday.

Just wanted to point out the car is basically in stock trim, with issues (didn't notice the trail of black smoke out the back?).

The S2000 I drove handled excellent. And yes, you GOT to keep the rpms up (>6000rpms) for that thing to give any type of grunt, and it can hang with an SVT Cobra, SS Camaro down low in some twisties. But give either V8 room to accellerate to 70 to 80mph and it's over by a long shot.

I loved upping the rev limit on my Cobra to 8k. Man, that 32V engine can sing.

Eric
Old 08-22-2002, 09:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STL
[B]Someone whose sole goal in posting, usually fictitious stories,
Old 08-22-2002, 10:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by distortion
[B]So you lost a race.. who cares, that guy is slower than several thousands of other people.

Quick Reply: SS Kill Story