S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

SS Kill Story

Old 08-21-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fine, I'll change my tune

Oh great S2000, how holy art thou?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

My only response is to why it's so bad that you have to shift the car. The IS300, GS300, and the Boxster are all eaten up by the S in a straight line or in the twisties (only the Boxster giving us fits). No one can ever sit here and say I have any S2000 bias, because I have the same view point as you about the S2000 just being a car. I totally agree with you there. I even drive it to the MALL. HORRORS.

I think you get "flamed" because you bought something when it seems you didn't know a whole lot about it. I have driven 4 cylinders my whole life and they all suck with the A/C on, the S2000 does a better job, but not great. And like somebody said, the torque curve is fairly flat. So you don't spend too much time away from the peak point. Still not like a V8 or a V6/I6. And I don't think you'll see a 6 for the S2000. Will ruin the 50/50 balance and you start to blend into the exotic NSX market.

Ok, one more thing. I think your a tad off on the attention meter. When people are asking me if I'm driving a Porsche, that says something. The car gets as many or more head turns then my buddies bright yellow 2001 Vette. But that's my experience, we all have different ones.

I am surprised that you were surprised that the premier "economy" muscle car smoked you at any speed. My buddy has a worked LT1, we "race" all the time. It's just tough calling it a race now.

Take it easy, and enjoy what your car can do, not what it can't.

ERIK
Old 08-21-2002, 12:58 PM

to erik

You are right about the fact that I didn't really know much about the S when I bought it, but that was really from the fact that I didn't have much of a choice when I purchased my car. There were only 3 used ones in the city that I lived in and all three dealers where very funny about even letting me test drive the car. One even asked to do a credit check first. And even when I did test drive the car, they made it seem like I didn't need to VTEC the car or doing anything drastic. I was so excited about being in the cockpit of the car that I wasn't really thinking about the lack of bass or the lack of torque. I was just smiling. So I guess that I should have done more homework with the car, but the reviews always made the car seem to wonderful so I never really questioned it. The guy that killed me as well as made the post on this board made the comment that a caviler has more torque than our car. I just don't undertstand why people on here don't see a problem with that? But I am through now for real... unless someone makes a statement that I feel like I should answer to.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Z06-KILLR
SS's are pretty fast...I usually can only beat them by a few cars....that is of course when they are running 100shot....the stock ones don't stand a chance
Just Curious, how fast is your Z? and what have you done to it?
Old 08-21-2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by jefftse

I think it said 12.4 @ 117 in his signature. Couple comments on this since someone else brought it up... that's a good amount of mph for that ET. I'm sure I'll get a "traction limited" reply, but I'm just curious why the ET isn't lower with that kind of HP/mph? Also, a bit dillusional on the street racing (and a bit uneducated). Most LS1s running a 125 shot (that's where the uneducated part comes in, I don't know of anyone running "a 100 shot" as most street guys running the NAAAHHSSS use 125 jets) are soundly in the 11s. I guess if you took a bone stock LS1 and ran a 125 shot it might only be a mid 12s car, but even then I'm not sure where the few car lengths comes into play. Oh well, not my concern so I shouldn't have said that much anyway.

Greg, funny comment!! Guess I've got it all because I've got gobbs of torque and I have to hold my sh*t up when I take a crap otherwise it dips in the water (eeewww).

Why can't we all just get along!?!?

Chris
1997 Z28 (broke, slow, noisy, paid for, and I love it)
Old 08-21-2002, 01:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The car doesn't have much torque, yes, but that's why it has a lot of RPM. Torque isn't the end all be all. But you have to like to shift the car. I do, I think that's where the fun is. It doesn't sound like you do as much. You would rather be in a gear, and just hit the pedal. That's fine too, just a different characteristic that every four cylinder really can't do. I don't know a 4 cylinder that doesn't have forced induction where you can just hit the gas at almost any RPM in any gear.

No biggie. Take it easy. Not everything is for everyone.

ERIK
Old 08-21-2002, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. I think this should be in Street Encounters. Enough tolling for my taste.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by jefftse

Oh boy....fast is in the eyes of a beholder....

My Z is NOT a 1/4 beast....I usually try to race 1/2..... due to the lack of traction on 1st and most of 2nd. My best time has been a 12.4 and my best trap has been at 118+mph....this car usually shines after the 1/4 mile.

I could spend a whole 10 minutes writing about all that I have done to my Z but to put in plain and simple it is basically a 410rwhp car on pump gas and @ 15lbs of boost. I have raced a SS with 100 shot and beat him fair and square by a couple of cars....I was not pulling and he was not gaining. He ran out of air by 140....the Z kept up.

This is temporary, she is going down in October for a transplant...should be a 600rwhp by Spring 2003.

Angel
Old 08-21-2002, 04:03 PM

Z06 Killar, you r gonna need mods to put the power to the ground!! Weight and traction is yo worst enemy!
Old 08-21-2002, 04:33 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nastinupe1
I know that I have to trade one for the other, but of course it would be nice to have both a strong engine as well as great handling.
You can -- just not for $30 grand!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nastinupe1
[B]My main gripe with Honda is that they could have made the engine of the S stronger without sacrificing too much weight gain.

Quick Reply: SS Kill Story