S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

SS Kill Story

Old 08-21-2002, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would I "boast" about a race I lost?
Old 08-21-2002, 08:20 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally posted by nastinupe1
Why would I "boast" about a race I lost?
I didn't say you were boasting. What I said was that it should be in 'Street Encounters'. Not all posts there are boasts of kills. I also understand that you are unhappy with some of the aspects (ie. Torque) but i think that we already understand that from other posts.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, from the number of times in the multiple threads that you've complained about the car I would guess that you enjoy it.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:45 AM

Personally, I think that you guys are too defensive of the S2000. I have said it before and I will say it again.

The S2000 is just a freakin machine. It's just a car. nothing more, nothing less. I did not buy this car to go to Lugna Seca, I bought it as a mode of transportation. I wanted a convertible, I wanted something that was quick. I was not really concerned about room becasue I live by myself. Overall, this car is great. The best thing I love about it is the fact that many S2000 owners are so anal that they never drive their car, which makes mine rare and many people (mostly female) don't know what the hell it is when they see it. I don't really complain about the gear grinding or the lack of a clock or any of the other things that many people have read on this board. My main complaint has, and always will be the lack of torque that this car has. When I am driving with the aircondition on with a passenger, this car does not feel like a sports car. And no, I am not talking about when I am doing 85 on the freeway, I am talking about on the street when I want to accelerate from 15 to 45. You guys can flame me all day, but that will not add anymore torque to my S. Think about all the people who spent $5000 over sticker for this car. Do you really think that they got what they paid for? This car is not a porsche. When you pay $45,000 for a porsche with the same performance, you are paying for the name and the exotic factor. The S is a freakin Honda. Known for the civic and the Accord. Porsche is a German car company with a very very rich history. My dad had 2, and the attention you get in a porsche is far greater than what you get in an S. If I paid $45,000 for a Boxster with a mere 217 hp, I would not feel bad, becasue one, it's a porsche, and two it still has 192 lb/ ft of torque, which makes the car "jump" when you put your foot on the pedal. Many "critics" have consider the looks of our car "uninspiring" or "plain". So hummm, lets see... we have a name plate that is not exotic, we have the weakest engine out of the following cars: BMW M3, Boxster S and SLK AMG. We have the lamest interior. We have a "boring" exterior. The only categorey we are winning in is realibility. Even the S2000's paint job is inferior to any of these cars. And like I said, I am not taking my car to a freakin race track to make myself feel better. The Audi TT is less powerful, but has more torque and the interior is way cooler. Why do you think that dealers won't pay us but about $23,000 for a used S right now. People don't want them anymore! They are starting to realize that the car was over hyped.

If I wanted a car for the track that I could strip down and hit the curves in I would say that the S2000 is perfect. But for an everyday car, it has too many negatives to be praised the way you guys praise it. You guys are living in a bubble that was formed in October of 1999. And I hate to bust it, but the S is not what many people expected it to be. Almost everyone that I have spoke with that has driven an S has the same comment. "It does not have the power that I thought that it had?" Of course, we know that this is becasue the lack of torque, but revving the car to 8500 RPMs on EVERY take off to get to the mere 153 lbs/ ft of torque is just not realistic.

So why did I buy the S you ask, I got a great deal on a used on and a $100,000 mile warranty with 5.9% APR.

I just wish I can be there the day you guys read about the all new S2500 with an I6 and get in line to buy one.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:45 AM

nastinupe1...now i'm not too sure..but i'm pretty sure that the s2k has a clock on the cd display...unless for some odd reason yours or the my00's don't. anyway, you make good points about honda, but the thing is no matter what any car company does, the consumer is always gonna want more. if they made an I6 s2000 then what would stop you or any one of us from bitching about them not macking a v8 s2000??
Old 08-21-2002, 08:59 AM

Nownor, thank you for not flaming. I don't think that I would desire a V8. I believe that an I6 would be enough. When I drive other I6's like the GS300 or the IS300 or the Boxster, I am sastified. I don't see the Mustang folks or Corvette people begging for a V10 either. A roadster should be light, and I don't expect a car like the S2000 to have a muscle car engine. And I don't mind revving the engine. I do it every single time I drive. But I just don't do it every second I drive, and that's the difference. If I am driving for 30 minutes, there is no doubt that I will get the engine up to 8000 RPMs, but who wants to do it for every single take off... just to get the power out of the car. I rather feel the power at 4500 RPMs and if I want excess, I can push it up to 8500 RPMs. I made a comment the other day that if the max torque is 153 at 7500 RPMs (don't quote me on that) then what is the torque at 4000 RPMs, where we spend most of the time driving? It must be around 115 or so. So when you are crusing on the freeway at 4500 RPMs you are feeling about 125 lb/ ft of torque. That is why you MUST downshift to speed up. That's why Honda could not make an automatic for this car. The automatic would suck up gas from shifting every time you wanted to change your speed. 153 lb/ ft of torque is not that bad when it is at a lower RPM, but to have it in the 7000's is rediculous. It's not that high in the first place, and no one drives at 7000 RPM's on a constant basis. So why didn't Honda give the torque rating of the car at 4000 RPMs? Because they didn't want to post a torque rating of 115 lbs/ft, thats why.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:01 AM

Member (Premium)

nastinupe/nastinupe1,

I don't think anyone is being defensive. All I did was sugg. this thread go to 'street encounters'. Dan then said it may not belong there.

I think that we all know how you feel about the car. Is there a reason that you post the same thing multiple times. I don't think that there is anything new in your post that wasn't in others you posted (I think one was when you said you should have bought a vette and the other was when another car took you).

I don't think people are defensive. Just tired of the whining.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:06 AM

Ok, I'll stop
Old 08-21-2002, 09:08 AM

Boy those Mullet comments are so hilarious. Just as funny as the ol classic ricer tune " I will race ya in the twisties y0"!! haha.

Johnny it was a good run it could have been worse if my car was running right. I like the S2ks but I don't like the attitude that comes along with them but I am sure its like that in any sport car realm. You guys that cry about the twisties I have a guy in my car club who will take his WS6 out and chase you around all day long...may just pass you too. Once or twice. Do some research on the cars before you spout off the mullet jokes or the white trash jokes. I am in the process of getting my car into road racing shape from a buddy who is heavy into Imports. Future plans for my car include full suspension work(already have the springs and shocks done) and a single turbo from LS1 motorsports that on a stock LS1 created over 550 RWHP and 687 RWTQ...I think that's enough to reel you guys in "in the twisties" don't ya think....

You guys bash each other more than us Domestic guys do...jeez don't eat your own here guys... Good run Johnny.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:29 AM

Member (Premium)

Looks like someone told on us

Quick Reply: SS Kill Story