S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

smoked a Z28 yesterday ...

Old 12-10-2001, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoked a Z28 yesterday ...

Had a great little victory yesterday. Pulled up to a stop sign next to a Camaro Z28 with a guy and his girlfriend inside. Wasn't really planning to race, but then thought, "why not?". From the stop, he pulled away easily, but the minute my VTEC kicked in ... I gained on him and beat him to the next stop sign. Once again, we were lined up to go ... and this time, he was revving his engine, wanting to beat me (probably looking over going, "no way am I going to let this chick beat me in front of my girlfriend again!").

I didn't want to drop the clutch or anything drastic - not being a very practiced street racer, but figured I'd see what happened now that he was prepared. This time, he was burning rubber off the line, and we were pretty even as I came up through 1st gear, but once again VTEC carried me past him - fast - and I passed him, pulled in front of him, and made it to the next stop sign at least 3 car lengths ahead. What a thrill!
Old 12-10-2001, 08:46 AM

dayhum! Out of curiosity, was it a newer Camaro or the older style? What all do you have done to your S?
Old 12-10-2001, 08:57 AM

I'd say it was probably a 97 or 98 Camaro. The S2000 is stock, MY2000.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:20 AM

Although they pail in comparison to the LS1's, LT1 Camaro's are no slouches by any stretch of the imagination. They typically run low 14's in stock trim. So in other words, GOOD KILL!!
Old 12-10-2001, 09:41 AM

97's are LT1's and 98's are LS1's

So it was an LT1?

Good Kill
Old 12-10-2001, 09:53 AM

Don't know which it was, I'm definitely not a Camaro connoisseur.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:07 AM

I love seeing women in s2k's...never encountered one that drag raced yet though good kill......also for future reference I suggest even as you gain experience with the manual transmission and street racing that you NEVER rev high and just sidestep/drop the clutch. That's just disturbing
Old 12-10-2001, 11:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
[B]I love seeing women in s2k's...never encountered one that drag raced yet though
Old 12-10-2001, 12:48 PM

dude, that's twice today i've read a post by you saying that we shouldn't drop the clutch at high rpms.

have you ever driven a broken-in S2000? if not, you should, 'cause dropping it from a high rpm is the only way to "street race". it's not like a mustang where we drop from three thousand rpm and have trouble getting traction. from my experience, i have a problem getting too much traction (at least until eight thousand rpm drops).
Old 12-10-2001, 01:14 PM

If that's the only way to "street race" then I'm not gonna be doing much street racing. The car wasn't made to withstand anything like that. It's a well-engineered high-tech machine NOT designed with crazy, clutch-dropping, drag racing like that in mind. I don't know why this is so highly advocated here, but it's not that hard to still get great E/Ts by using an aggressive feather technique. I have not driven a fully broken in s2000 no, but what's that got to do with it? I've never even heard of people doing such things to their fine automobiles. It's like people treat the s2k like it's some sort of rice rocket, it's not, it's a highly-tuned machine with lots of technology and prestige. Doesn't matter if this is the fastest way to launch, why would you treat a prestigious car with such disdain? Besides we're not talkin like 1 second in the 1/4 mile you're saving here...more like .1 - .2 and that amount of time saved just isn't worth ripping the bottom end and the drivetrain to shreds to me. To you it may be worth getting that extra "jump" which is fine by me man, but it disturbs me that new owners come here looking for good advice and everyone tells them to rev it up and let the clutch just slam back and hook like that. Unheard of. The s2000 I think needs to be treated with more care and fine driving, not this roughhouse drag racing attitude. This is just my personal opinion, and i'm frankly surprised more people around here don't share it. Seems like everyone around here is ready to just drop the clutch out...and maybe their drivetrains too? Once again this is only my opinion, and i'm not condeming what you do. I just think it's crazy, but i mean who the hell am i anyways?

Quick Reply: smoked a Z28 yesterday ...