S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Smoked a 'Stang - Literally!

Old 11-24-2002, 08:02 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Smoked a 'Stang - Literally!

I was coming down Nichols Canyon last night from Mulholland, and heard a loud car coming up from behind me. The thing sounded like a NASCAR or something. I accelerated away and then let him catch up to me at the next stop sign. It was a heavily modified Mustang.

The guy was revving on me from behind, so I took off. The road is a narrow downhill with lots of moderate turns, and a couple of speed bumps in the lower section. I continued to pull away from the muscle car the entire time. The S2000 rules the canyons!

When I got to the bottom, I stopped at the light and the Mustang guy came down and pulled past me to make a right turn. I gave him a wave and he responded with a reluctant nod. It looked like his two friends in the car were ribbing him good.

As he past, I smelled burning brakes. I immediately checked my parking brake, but it was down. I looked at his car and saw black smoke pouring off of the front brakes. I couldn't resist, so I yelled- "YOUR BRAKES ARE ON FIRE!!!" The driver glanced at the smoke, and then just drove off. The guy in the back seat must have heard me because he turned around and looked at me, and his eyes were popping out! As the car drove away, he looked just like this-

Man, I was laughing so hard!

BTW, I do not publicly support street racing.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:20 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Nice.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent....... BWAHAHAHAHA!
Old 11-25-2002, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha !!!Gotta love it!
Old 11-26-2002, 08:41 PM

That is classic. LMAO.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I noticed for awhile there were stang buffs coming to this site and talking B.S.
Can you go to there site and rub it in for us S2000 owners =)
Old 12-04-2002, 02:46 PM

awesome story, I love when people try and pace me through corners.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:27 PM

um would u like a medal. everybody knows that s2000s have better brakes then a mustang.

if u had hit a straight long enough, he would have passed u like cake if it was heavily modified as u said.

btw, howd u know it was heavily modified. an o/r h pipe and a set of flowmasters isn't heavily modded in my book
Old 12-04-2002, 05:37 PM

Oh brother... If the guy smoked his breaks that bad, he was obviously over-driving his car in a feeble attempt to keep up. Not many people here care if a car can go fast in a straight line; any monkey can floor it and shift. There was no straight, he got embarassed in front of his friends, eos.

I wish people could just take a humorous story at face value and not feel the need to get defensive.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:23 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

quadcammer-

I don't know for sure that the Mustang was "heavily" modified. It looked like a new model, but it was very loud, and had the typical high-lift cam sound when he pulled up behind me. When he was revving on me, his car sounded like it should definitely blow away my car in the 1/4 mile, (or in any straight line).

I thought the story was funny, because the guy was challenging me in the canyons. I agree with you that everyone should know that a Mustang is not going to out-brake, or out-handle an S2000. If he would have challenged me in a straight line, he wouldn't have been eating crow, and there would be no story. However, I would not be stupid enough to think that I should win that race.

His brakes were smoking so bad, I have to believe that he was probably inexperienced, and was riding his brakes the whole way down the canyon, while he was also on the throttle. -Pete

PS: No medal necessary, it was entirely my pleasure!

Quick Reply: Smoked a 'Stang - Literally!