S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

SLK32 AMG Vs. My C5

Old 04-30-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After hanging out for awhile at Barnes&Noble on Hillcroft/Westheimer last Sat. night with the Vette/Viper/Supra crews, I left and start to cruise down toward the Galleria. Right before we got to the Galleria, my girlfriend pointed out a gorgeous silver SLK32 AMG ahead of us, to the right of our lane. And being such a nice boyfriend , I gave my car a little more gas to catch up with the other car so she can check it out.

I guess the other driver (pretty young kid too......just like me ) must have heard my car coming up fast behind him ("kinda" hard to creep up on people with a V8, running catless ) because he started to speed up also. The next light turned red so I caught up to him at the stop. I have got to admit, that it is one very sweet looking car. But it is just little too feminime for a guy to be driving it. Anyways.......when the light turned green we both took off slowly but a few minutes later he decided to play around with me. ****I think he's trying to impress his lady**** So I was like cool, you want to play, huh? Let's play. Obviously he had no idea what he's up against.

As usual, traffic was horrible on Westheimer. It was bumper-to-bumper traffic so I told him let's get on the 610 freeway for a few runs. And to my surprise, he agrees to it (and my GF didn't even stop me, that was the first). Anyways, I know for sure that I would have no problem walking him on motor only. But then I decided to murder him instead of just walking (remember, he has his lady to impress. So do I heheeh). So I flip on the switch and open up the bottle, arm the nitrous. Bottle pressure looks good (1300PSI ) and fuel pressure is OK.

The road was wide open as soon as we pass up on a few cars. We did a total of 3 runs, same result each time. I must have put at least 10-15 cars in front of him each run (approxmiately 40mph-110mph). I think he must have been a little embarassed/upset, so he decided to run me from dead stop . Cool....no problem. We both exited the freeway (Beechnut Exit), did a u-turn and line up side by side. (Enough fun on the nawesssss, so the bottle has been closed). On the first run from dead stop, he whopped my ass pretty bad because I forgot to turn off traction control and my car wasn't going anywhere (very hard to do so when computer cuts off all the fuel). Shame on me. But hey, a win is a win. You won't hear any excuses out of my mouth. At the next stop, we line up again (of course my TC is off this time). We both floored it when the light turned green, his car held up quite well through the 1st gear. But by the 2nd gear, it shows that his car was no match for my modded C5. And by the end 3rd gear, he was nowhere near. I slowed down afterward and complemented on how nice and quick his car is. We waved, gave each other a thumb up and parted our own ways. Regardless of the results above, we both had a blast. That's what I call a Win-Win situation.

In conclusion, I am VERY impress on how quickly that little car is capable of taking off. And honestly, I think it would have no problem blowing the S2K's door off. And do I not mean it as an insult to the S2K folks here, but rather as a heads-up just in case you decide to play with one on the street, especially from dead-stop. Even to other stock C5 owners out there, if you're not careful taking from a dead-stop run, this car will definitely going to own you.

And at last, for those that have no clue on SLK32 AMG, below are the specs off the MercedesBenz website.

Cheers
-Tuan

[B]
Engine AMG-built intercooled supercharged 3,199-cc SOHC 18-valve V-6. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Reinforced crankshaft and valvetrain. Alloy Heads. Lightweight camshafts.

Net power 349 hp @ 6,100 rpm

Net torque 332 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm

Compression ratio 9.0:1

Fuel requirement Premium unleaded, 91 pump octane.

Fuel and ignition system ME 2.7 engine management. Integrated sequential multipoint fuel injection and phased twin-spark ignition with individual cylinder control of fuel spray, spark timing phase, and antiknock. Two spark plugs per cylinder, 100,000-mile spark plug intervals. Electronically controlled throttle.

Intake system Intercooled helical high-pressure supercharger with electromechanical clutch.

Transmission AMG-enhanced driver-adaptive electronic 5-speed automatic. Touch Shift allows driver to manually downshift and allow upshifts by nudging the shift lever left or right from the Drive position. SpeedShift
Old 04-30-2002, 02:13 PM

same motor as the C32 I believe.

SLK32s. Yes, they're fast Good for low 13s.

btw, I hate your sig...I don't even want to know if that's Supra's a TT.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude that's one of the best street encounter write ups yet except for the typo 'embarassed' you spelled 'embrace' Nevertheless you were truthful with the outcome and I wonder if the SLK32 knew you were running NOS?
Old 04-30-2002, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever try running him with the bottle off. I think that would have been much more interesting. Thye fastest I have seen on that car is a 13.06 run. That would be very close to a well driven, stock C5.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:52 PM

Yeah, a stock S2000 is no match for one of those. Of course you can almost buy two S2000s for the price of one SLK32 AMG.

An interesting race would be between an SLK32 AMG and a new M Roadster. I think it would also be close between a stock C5 and the SLK32.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by wantone
Dude that's one of the best street encounter write ups yet except for the typo 'embarassed' you spelled 'embrace'
Thanks for the correction! It's fixed now.

Originally posted by wantone
Nevertheless you were truthful with the outcome and I wonder if the SLK32 knew you were running NOS?
Nope, he had no clue. When we got off the freeway, the first question he asked was "Is that a Z06?". I smiled at him..."Nahhh....It's just a regular C5" It just happens to be a heavily modded one, that's all. But I should have been a little more honest and tell him that it is not a Z06, "IT'S A Z06 EATER"
Old 04-30-2002, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fanman
[B]Did you ever try running him with the bottle off.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
I think it would also be close between a stock C5 and the SLK32.
If the C5 is an automatic then it would be really close. The gear in automatic C5 is 2.73:1 versus 3.07:1 on SLK32 AMG.

-Tuan
Old 04-30-2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by leanhtuan
But it is just little too feminime for a guy to be driving it.
Dammit =). I hear that quite often unfortuantely. The nice thing about the car is it does attract a lot of female attention. Too bad I'm married... (to a chick!)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by leanhtuan
[B]The road was wide open as soon as we pass up on a few cars.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the a SC S2000 would be a good match for the SLK 32 AMG as well. Sweet cars though, love the mechanical hardtop.

Quick Reply: SLK32 AMG Vs. My C5