S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

sky redline

Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ace123,Apr 8 2009, 08:55 PM
Oh, that's true--I didn't remember that.

I really just hate waiting for boost. It really ruined the fun of the test drive for me when I took a Sly Redline out. One of the first things I did was get on the freeway in top gear and step on it. It went like a Miata while the boost built and then suddenly it pressed me back into my seat and took off. I hate the wait.

On the torqueless S2000 you have to shift to get it, but the power is there as soon as you can put it in gear. I feel powerless waiting for boost, but I feel like I'm the problem when I don't shift fast enough.
ever driven any other boosted cars? a lot of them you get the same feeling in
Old 04-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ace123,Apr 8 2009, 05:55 PM
Oh, that's true--I didn't remember that.

I really just hate waiting for boost. It really ruined the fun of the test drive for me when I took a Sly Redline out. One of the first things I did was get on the freeway in top gear and step on it. It went like a Miata while the boost built and then suddenly it pressed me back into my seat and took off. I hate the wait.

On the torqueless S2000 you have to shift to get it, but the power is there as soon as you can put it in gear. I feel powerless waiting for boost, but I feel like I'm the problem when I don't shift fast enough.
there is virtually no turbo-lag in the new turbo ecotecs. GM did a good job eliminating most of it. My friend just bought the new 09 ss/tc cobalt and it pulls hard with ZERO lag. And im pretty sure the sky redline has pretty much the same motor lol
Old 04-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingEmotions,Apr 16 2009, 05:50 PM
ever driven any other boosted cars? a lot of them you get the same feeling in
Yeah, and in the last few years I've always felt the same--I don't think it's nearly as much fun as the same P/W NA.

I used to own a crummy turbo car--a Mercury Capri XR2. It had a 1.6L 4 banger, boosted to an eye-popping 7psi for about 130hp. It was a bloated and inferior Miata competitor, and it was a great cheap college beater. I think the boost built quickly though as the turbo was super small on that car, so waiting for the boost to build in my buddy's Evo or in the Sky felt like it took forever, relatively speaking.

I'm not sure if I'd just forgotten about the boost lag or if I've for some reason started to really not like it in the last few years. When I took the Sky Redline (MT) for a drive, one of the first things I did was got it on the freeway with the top up so I wouldn't be biased because the top was off and that was fun. Then in top gear, I floored it and waited to see what happened. It felt like a no-torque Miata at first and then the 'roids kicked in and it really moved. But I couldn't help but remember how weak it felt at first.

Maybe it's a funny control-type thing for me--I don't feel as in control of the car if the power changes so much as the boost builds. It seems odd now that I'm typing about it. Oh, and I absolutely HATED the sound of the stock exhaust.

But anyways, at my buddy's request, I took a used S2000 out for a spin, and it wasn't even on my radar because the car had been out since 2000--I forgot about them years before. But when I drove it, it just felt right--much more my type of car I guess. I just liked everything about it. I bought a new one about a week later. I wished it would have had 300hp instead of 240, but I'll have to wait to get a supercharger for that (not a turbo!), and until then I really enjoy it as is.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your turbo reasoning is odd. Unless you go with a roots SC, waiting for SC boost is way worse than turbo lag on even a large turbo on an S2000.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kart,Apr 18 2009, 08:28 AM
Your turbo reasoning is odd. Unless you go with a roots SC, waiting for SC boost is way worse than turbo lag on even a large turbo on an S2000.
I know, it is odd!

But on the S/C, I didn't know that. If and when I can get the money together, I'd better go drive one before I buy--thanks!