S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2K Vs WRX

Old 11-22-2004 | 05:16 PM

Default S2K Vs WRX

My boy Adam came by my house last month with his new WRX (Not an STI) . Of corse i asked him if he wanted to run it but he said he wanted to brake it in first.
So last week we finnaly ran it from a dead stop....I dropped my car perfectly at 6,500RPMs and I shot off the line infront of him...I was Ahead of him until I hit third (I shift at 8,300) he passed me and when I hit forth but I agained and just passed him about 25 feet after our quater mile mark.

My car is a Spa 2001 and is completely stock

His mods racing Exhaust

Note this is his second AWD car so he knows how to launch and drive AWD

All in all it was a good race both of us are pretty decent drivers...
He said he shifted good and I think I shifted the pretty good awell...But we were both saprised when I got him off the line...

Anybody else have a commnet for better shifting or launching?...Should I have beaten him?????
Old 11-22-2004 | 06:18 PM

you should have walked him. his only chance is to take a big lead on you from the start, and hold you at bay the rest of the 1/4 mile. there's no reason he should have passeed you.

you have 9000rpm so use it. dont short shift at 8300
Old 11-22-2004 | 06:43 PM

yea there is no way he should of ever passed you
Old 11-22-2004 | 06:55 PM

Dont take this the wrong way i'm not trying to insult your friend but i dont think he's a good a driver as you're saying. If he can't take you off the line w/ a wrx then it's obivious to me he doesn't know how to launch properly.
Old 11-22-2004 | 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ForNgoods,Nov 23 2004, 01:55 PM
Dont take this the wrong way i'm not trying to insult your friend but i dont think he's a good a driver as you're saying. If he can't take you off the line w/ a wrx then it's obivious to me he doesn't know how to launch properly.

As for the race, a WRX won't pass you...especially when racing past the 1/4 mile. They can only get you on the launch, and hope to hold you off until the 1320 mark. Also, I'll reiterate...you should be shifting at 9000rpms...
Old 11-22-2004 | 07:26 PM

Thanks for the advice...I will use that...Yeah I was saprised like I said about me taking him off the line and kind of saprised about him winning....But Next time I race him I will shift at 9000 how about the launch should I Launch at 7 or 75 or keep it at 65?

Not to make excuses but I think I migh have a couple of bent vavles or Loss of compression because In the past few months I have notice a little loss of power in VTEC Because I am giulty of over reving from time to time thats why I started shifting at 83
Old 11-22-2004 | 08:46 PM

your engine cuts your fuel before you'd really do any damage. so you're not really "over" revving. unless of course you shift into a gear at too high a speed... (like into 2nd at 70mph) that could cause some damage.

when's the last time you changed your oil? low oil pressure can cause your vtec to "hiccup" if there's not enough pressure to engage the high cam profile rockers.

as for launching it depends on the conditions. i've launched as low as 4000rpm and nailed 2.1 60' times. you want just enough wheel spin to give you a good jump off the line. so maybe the first second or two at MOST should be wheel spin. and when the tires hook up and stop spinning, you should be just around 6000-6500rpm or so.
Old 11-22-2004 | 09:45 PM

Do you drop out of VTEC when you shift at 8300?
Old 11-23-2004 | 02:36 AM

yeah he probably does
Old 11-24-2004 | 01:13 AM

Well it is good to know thats I might not be causing the damamge I though I was because I don`t ever remembering my fuel cutting out.But then again it could have happend...I change my Oil about every 3k...Also I am Due for my 30k Mile Vavle Adjustment so that should be all help out a little bit I think....

V-Ant Nah I don`t drop out of V-Tec I am acutally at about 7grand after I shift....(And I have beaten a decent amount of cars driving that way)

I read that the car doesn`t make any HP after 8300 anyway so I figured intead of taking the chance of over reving I should just shift there...Because I`ll be in my next gear faster and would have already made my Max HP.....I don`t mean to sound like a know it all but it made scense to me when I though about it so I started doing it....

Quick Reply: S2K Vs WRX