S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2k Vs S2k Vs Civic Hatch!!

Old 01-31-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2k Vs S2k Vs Civic Hatch!!

Well, tonight was a good night. It started off with a few laps on Highway, a Z28 that would not go away, me, Leo, and my buddy who has a Civic Hatch SI with some decent work done.

We made the laps, and at the end of the second lap, Leo and the hatch decide to race at one of the designate areas (2 race max before cops are there). Leo calls me up and asks me to come back there, so i get there just as they are finishing the race, and surprisingly, the hatch kept up pretty good for what it is.....but its still not an "S".....

Next, Leo wants to race me.....(note....Leo and his passenger weigh 330 lbs, and his car is stock, with Toyo All Seasons on the rear, I have a PRM intake, my hardtop, and me and my passenger weigh 480 lbs....so together witht the top, about 520 lbs give or take, and my BALD S0-2's) So we line up, and the civic owner flags us.....both of us are me at about 4k and Leo...who knows...then the flag drops...we're off....i had Leo by about 1-1.5 cars in the launch and pulled him to about 50, then he started catching up....by 80 when we shut down (ran out of road ) he was about 3/4 - 1 car behind.....

So, technically i won, but if anyone here knows Leo....he didnt take it very well.....I tried to explain that i had more weight, and still pulled on him but he would not accept it.....he kept saying "but i was catching up....i was catching up!" i told him i understood, but that i had more weight...when we got that through his head, he blamed his tires......Full tread all seasons on wet ground, compared to my bald S0-2's on wet ground...."i couldn't hook up"....he says..."you launched too high" i reply....

Anyways, he finally admitted to losing, but put me on his "Spring Kill List" and i told him id be happy to do it any time....

It was a fun night, and i will admit, Leo was catching up, and had i not had that extra almost 200 lbs i probably would have kept pulling. Does the intake really make that much of a diff?

Oh well, just thought i'd share my night....

Drive safe, and lots!
John
Old 02-01-2003, 01:37 AM

I'm guessing he got a bad launch since you said he had him by 1.5 cars at the launch.

If you had a better launch, then it's normal that you pulled on him till about 50, until he started to catch up. Sounds like he was actually faster because of the weight.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:44 AM

Does the intake really make that much of a diff?
I personally think so. My brother and I did some trial runs. 5 with me (aem cai) and a passenger v. my brother (solo and stock). We did 5 with me (solo) and him with the same passenger. Then we did 4 runs with both of us solo.

With a passenger, I lost 3 and won 2 races (25-80). Next without a passenger and him with a passenger I beat him 4 out of 5 times. The one loss was a misshift. In the trials with neither of us with a passneger I won three and he won one. Of course these tests aren't perfect. But interestingly even with a passenger I beat him a couple of times. He is a better driver than me. When he had the passenger it was no contest. Right off the bat I would put a car on him everytime except for the time i grinded and missed second. Conclusion: it makes a difference. Not a huge difference but enough to notice empiracally.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:26 AM

he had a good launch, i just hooked up sooner because of the extra weight. He was next to me in the first second, but his tires kept spinning, wile i gripped right away.....
Old 02-01-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Johnny, me and you should do some roll on runs BEFORE and AFTER I get my intake on. Maybe like a good 50mph 3rd gear roll to 90mph. And see how much a difference it makes.

Before you got your intake, me and you would be dead even to 90mph in a 3rd gear roll.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:57 AM

sure....bring your car out tonight....c'mon...its nice....TOP DOWN BABY!!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

?? I didn't think it was that nice out? I thougth there's snow all over and shtuff.

I'll see how the public roads are. Where are you working today?
Old 02-01-2003, 09:45 AM

US Cellular in Waukesha.....off 164...i finish at 8 tonight, gonna run home for some dinner, then ill be out around 9 or maybe a little earlier....come on....top down....tooop dooooown!
Old 02-01-2003, 10:24 PM

Well, went out cruising tonight again, very very busy on the strip!

Got a few races in with the civic hatch, very close to the S, but i still beat him!

Anyways, we went for a lap (top down, 23* out...yeah!) and got a few good races with some rice, and pretty much beat everyone....on the last leg of the lap...heading north on the strip, and some morons in an integra and a RSX come flyin by as we turn into Pallas parking lot where we hang out....right after that about 8 squads, and a sherrif go bookin down the street behind that group of cars....

I left Pallas about 10 min later to go home, and was heading north on the strip towards my route home. I come over the hill that goes over the Interstate and see 2 squads and a paddy wagon up ahead, and as i get closer i realize a civic in that group hit another car.....I get up there, and 2 of the 3 lanes are closed, so i get in the open lane and drive by slowly and the civic was UNDER the rear end of a 4 door Saturn!!!!

the strange thing is that it was in the middle of the road, not at an interseection! So im assuming that the saturn either pulled out or brake checked the civic, but the rear end of it was about 4.5 feet up in the air....it was pretty crazy.

oh well, some people cant drive....especially in Wisconsin!