S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2k vs Mystery Civic

Old 07-01-2002, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2k vs Mystery Civic

So I'm cruising the I-15 sweepers north of Temecula, bringing my brother home to LA.

It was a beautiful Friday evening, not yet dark, and the golden hills lit brilliantly by the just setting sun.

Traffic was moderate, and I wasn't exactly looking for trouble, but then I never really am.

Moving along, I notice a white civic moving through traffic, though not aggressively, just negotiating slower cars. I noticed the super fast blinkers and wondered if I was gonna have a chance to show "rice boy" power over show.

I hit a gap in traffic, and slowed down to 70 to allow the gap to widen. If the civic wanted a chance to jump this was our chance to really let loose. The closest car up ahead was about a mile away, wonder if he'll go, a look to the rear view to see where he's at- he's out of the traffic... oh shit he's on it!

I immediately jumped to third gear and punched it. Typically, when I see a car 8 lengths back jump and I have a chance to match, I can hold them off. I was amazed to see him go on by, leaving me like a Miata accelerating hard from 30 in 4th gear. :

I'm not about to give up on it though, and pushed hard through 4th, gaining on him ever so slightly. At 125, I'm still gaining and at his rear bumper now, and notice a Semi that was way up ahead at the start in the slow lane, so I change lanes (in the middle of a sweeper) to the outside in order to give the civic some emergency lee-way. That lane change was by no means easy- I saw myself skipping on the freeway reflectors, flipping off the road, but I wanted to give that civic a chance to clear the semi by more than a few feet.

Anyway, at 132, I passed him. My brother said that as we passed him (by no means a dominating event) the driver shrugged and signaled that he had no more.

We slowed down after the race was decided, and hollered across the lane, congratulating, etc. Turns out the guy put a GSR motor in that civic! It was clear by the attitude of the car when it was passing me that he wasn't used to losing.

Very cool guy, and no rice, not even an exhaust tip the size of Florida, just a mean engine and fast blinkers!

So any of you S2ks out by Murrieta who see a white civic tooling around, don't take this guy lightly!
Old 07-01-2002, 09:11 PM

yeah you drop a nice b18c1(i think) into a civic and youve got a potential monster! good race though, im glad the guy was cool. oh by the way did your bro enjoy it?
Old 07-02-2002, 05:50 AM

Yeah, he loved it. Definatly a speed freak too.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:55 AM

Wait til you see mine
Old 07-02-2002, 11:37 AM

yep, those hybrids are quick. You should come to a hybrid meet sometime and check out all the different motor swaps.