S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2K vs. Mach 1 Mustang

Old 08-15-2004 | 03:09 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Default S2K vs. Mach 1 Mustang

My friend is visiting me out of town and i told him i would give him a ride in the S2K. Sure enough, I see a mustang going the opposite direction of me, making a right turn onto the same road that I was going to make a left on. He takes his right turn really slow so that i can catch up when my left turn light turns green. And so the chase begins...

The way the local road is designed is sort of like a freeway onramp. Its three lanes wide with a center divider splitting both sides of traffic. The road also has no intersections, so its pretty safe to speed on. Mind you guys, I haven't gotten into a "race" on the street since i had my integra in the good old days. I was pretty excited.

By the time i catch up to him at the end of the on ramp, i'm too fast to stay in first gear. I'm stuck in low rpm in second gear, damn it! Waiting to see what he is going to do, i suddenly hear him punch it. How do i know this? Oh the good old american muscle sound menacing through his exhaust. Man it sounds good...Oops, getting off track. So while i'm waiting for my vtec to hit i'm like this: . I'm thinking that he is long gone and that there is no more race. 1....2....3....4...car lengths build up ontop of the 2 car lengths back that i already started from. 6000 rpm hits and i hear the sweet sound of vtec, protruding like an elephant out of my V2 intake. Ah yes, my savior . As the RPM climbs, he stops pulling away from me. I wind down third gear and i can see the gap becoming smaller. 4th gear and I am reeling him in real hard. I was thinking that he was giving up, but thanks to his exhaust, I knew he was still at full throttle. My passenger could confirm it as well. He switches lanes cause i am now on his ass, and we come neck and neck. We both decide to shut it down as we got pretty deep into the triple digits. Well yeah, i don't know if you can call that a race, but it definitely was a street encounter!

Afterwards, i talked to the guy at the next stop light. He asked me if i wanted to take it from a stop at the intersection. Worried about blowing my diff, already worn clutch, and surrounding traffic, i tell him that i never launch my car (which is true). Its all good. I compliment his car and he compliments mine. We both give each other thumbs up and peace signs and go off on our own ways. Its always nice knowing that there ARE cool domestic owners out there.

Now i know nothing about the mach 1 mustang, but it sure gave me a hell of a race. It seemed pretty fast though. The fact that i had my top down and an extra passenger made me feel a little more confident about the straight line capabillity of my car (just as long as i go above 100, ha).
Old 08-15-2004 | 06:31 AM

Is your S2000 blown? I'm assuming it is because a Mach 1 is capable of low 13's in the quarter.
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:12 AM

Low 13's even high 12's at traps that indicate from any speed they are going to run away and hide from S2000's.
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:43 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Really? Hrmm...Maybe he was just wearing the badge then cause i know i was pulling him in 4th gear.

Just looked up the specs on edmunds, and i can see that theres a substantial difference between the GT and the mach 1. However, not a difference i can see to put the mach 1 even close to high 12s. High 12s is SVT territory.
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:15 AM

He probably figured the race was over and let off, then saw you coming and got back into it.. Very hard to make up that lost momentum... And yes, they are capable of low 13's, but I don't know about high 12's without some mods (at least slicks)... MM&FF counldn't get better than a 13.4, and they usually have the fastest times..
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Yeah after further research, i figured thats what happend as well. But hey, it was fun. I have a new found respect for the mach 1 mustang. I always thought it was the same as a GT with some aesthetic differences. Wrong I was!
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by StinkyTofu,Aug 15 2004, 11:28 AM
I always thought it was the same as a GT with some aesthetic differences.
You weren't that far off except for the cobra motor and 3.55 gears.. BTW, have you ever had stinky tofu?? tastes like dog shit..
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:36 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by cravnpup,Aug 15 2004, 10:34 AM
You weren't that far off except for the cobra motor and 3.55 gears.. BTW, have you ever had stinky tofu?? tastes like dog shit..
Haha, had some when i was a little kid in Chicago at china town. It smells like dog shit, but it taste OK to me .
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:43 AM

High 12s is SVT territory.
Yes but a 2003+ Cobra will trap in the 110-114mph range where as the Mach 1 is more like 107ish mph.
Old 08-15-2004 | 05:40 PM
Banned

I've heard that Mach 1 runs high 12's to low 13's, but I've never seen any run close to that, in person or publications. 13.7 was the fastest I've seen.

Quick Reply: S2K vs. Mach 1 Mustang