S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

s2k VS M z3

Old 08-06-2002, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2k VS M z3

Hey.... it's me again....
if u guys remember me.... i'm the guy... who raced with 98 M3 few weeks ago...
today...i raced with his sister...who has... M z3. we didn't race from stop.....
we were racing through twisty road... I was kind of keeping up to her rear bumper...
She is much much better driver than i'm.. After each turns, M z3 takes off first because it has much more torqu than ours so i had hard time to keep the distance within 2 car length...
At the light we both stoped.... i was right next to her.... It was race from dead stop...
I knew If i don't lunch my car, i would lose. However.. It was first time me trying lunch my car.
i put my first gear in... and steped cluch half way in, same with accelerator, keeping my rpm around 5k.
As soon as light turned green... i pushed accelerator more in and let go the cluch....
guess what happend? my car didn't really lunch, it was moving slowy forward...with my rpm @ 9k..
first i thought tire was spining...hard and my car wasn't moving..so i changed my gear into 2nd....
still same problem... so i pushed my cluch all the way in.... than my rpm came back to normal....
but after that happend...we just went to my friend house... and...let the car cool down...
i noticed burning smell from....my engine area....
What's that burning smell? and... can anyone tell me how to lunch my car?
i'm sure...way i try to lunch my car was wrong....i'm so dumb...
Old 08-06-2002, 05:14 AM

Lunch?
Mmmmm, lunch....
Old 08-06-2002, 05:43 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

That burning smell was you clutch. to learn how to 'lunch' search on launch
Old 08-06-2002, 08:33 AM

that makes me sad
Old 08-06-2002, 08:49 AM

You have to let go of the clutch quickly, all at once!!!!!!! If you let it go slowly, clutch will slip and burn......bad smell......and car going no where....
Old 08-06-2002, 10:53 AM

Good Kill!

Personally I would never abuse my clutch by feathering it to get a good launch. I would rather spin and lay off the gas than ride my clutch.

Just drive around normally for a few days and it will glaze off, then you'll be fine.

My S4 had at least 30-50 6,000rpm AWD clutch drops and the clutch after 14k miles performed like new.

Dumping the clutch is actually healthier than riding it.

Dont do that again!
Old 08-06-2002, 11:25 AM

yeah, you definitely burned up your clutch. when you left the clutch half in, you were burning it the whole time. when you let go....well, it was just burning much worse! personally, i just dump the clutch (6k rpm and let go of the clutch all at once). most ppl dump the clutch at around 7k, but 6k seems to be good for me on most surfaces. good luck! dont' practice for a bit, so you can let your clutch revive!
Old 08-06-2002, 12:28 PM

For some reason I was picturing the handicapped kid from Malcolm in the Middle speaking as I read through that post
Old 08-06-2002, 09:19 PM

to get a proper launch(lunch for you eheh), you gotta let go of the clutch quickly same time flooring the accelerator...

-(as i sit in my room wandering... dam i cant beleive i didnt show up for work today )
Old 08-06-2002, 09:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by s2kvancouver
and steped cluch half way in
This is bad, very bad. With the clutch at this position, you are already "simmering" it while you are revving. It does not have the distance needed to engage it abruptly so when you did let it go, you "cooked" it. It needs to start off on the floor just before you take your foot off it as fast as you can (as fast if not faster than the clutch spring itself can lift it). Unless you get it right real soon, you should quit while you are ahead. Doing clutch drops on this car is already bad enough when done correctly. Doing it wrong will only cost you money much, much sooner.

Quick Reply: s2k VS M z3