S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2K + exhaust vs. stock WRX

Old 07-28-2002 | 04:19 AM

Default S2K + exhaust vs. stock WRX

On the way to work I raced a new WRX. It appeared to be completely stock apart from a body kit. I was driving at the speed limit when the WRX passed me with a shit eating grin on his face thinking to himself that I would have no chance against him.

When the highway opened up I catch up to him and we race from 75mph right in the sweetest spot of 3rd gear. He gets on it first and I catch up in no time and walk his arse badly by the time I hit about 110. And I had a passenger too.

Next run he comes flying up behind me. I immediately get on the power and pull away quite easily even though he was trying to draft me.

I shut down at 110 and let him pass me I give him the thumbs up but get no response.
Old 07-28-2002 | 01:04 PM

haha, most WRX I've noticed are quite mature about what their car can and can't do, but you get the occasional shit eaters... haha
Old 07-28-2002 | 01:51 PM

most of the wrx owners i come across are jerks or think they are hot sh*t. even when i had a impreza 2.5 rs i got dirty looks from them thinking they were better then me because they got a turbo. just yesterday i was cruising around in seaside and i seen a wrx. we stopped next to each other going opposite ways and i was looking at his car and he says like a d*ck "run me then". thinking he is all mighty. i was like "what the f***. im not saying all the people who own these cars are like this, i might have just got all the bad apples. i have meet some nice ones to but not many. not tring to start something with the subaru guys, but that is just how it has been. sorry to offend anybody and again i am not saying all.
Old 07-28-2002 | 09:46 PM

I give 2k prop for its amazing technology and its power/weight ratio, but modded WRX is something you should be careful with. I've seen many stock looking WRX that are modded. Whenever I see a 2k driving by, I stare at it for its awesome styling and performance, but a 2k owner may think I'm giving him a dirty look... ???
Old 07-28-2002 | 09:54 PM

personally, MOST (definitely not all) of the wrx owners i've met were d*cks! they give me the nasty, arrogant stare. i really hate that! *sigh*

very few were cool owners. most just think they possess the best car on the planet...which is cool, as long as they don't actively compare their ride to mine....and blatantly make it a point to tell it to me. oh well....

i'm sure there are very cool owners i have yet to meet, but so far, most are arrogant teenagers.

i want to meet a cool one, b/c i'd like to get a ride and check it out! =)
Old 07-28-2002 | 10:10 PM

WRX w/ a MBC (16.5 psi) and uppipe/turboback exhaust system will run either very low 5s or high 4s 0-60mph (C&D got 5.4 from a stock WRX). I've ridden many cars and WRX has been a car with the most amazing launch. You gotta to ride in a WRX to believe. AWD launch is simply amazing.... 1.8s 30'

MBC makes a huge difference in performance as it allows a full boost (13-14psi) in 1st and 2nd gear as compare to stock WRX's 7-8 psi.
Old 07-29-2002 | 09:47 AM

Just to chime in-- we have a lot of WRX/Impreza folks at the local Auto-X every 3 weeks... They do VERY well at the AutoX (often beating the S2Ks). All are nice guys.

Now-- I think the thing to note here is that "most" (stereotype) of them are younger guys. (21-25yrs old). That may contribute to some of the attitude you receive with our little "ricer burner Hondas".

But, along with youth often comes cockyness... So, just take it with a grain of salt.

-- Aaron
p.s. Steve, I'll still own you!
Old 07-29-2002 | 11:47 AM

Most of them are not d@cks as stated.....the WRX is a fun ride, just let them have their fun, becase the evo will be in the States next year Then watch out for some c@cky drivers.
Old 07-29-2002 | 12:01 PM

Everytime I see a WRX, it's passing me in the opposite direction. Usually we'll just check out each others' cars and be on our way. I haven't had any encounters with @sshole WRX owners, but theirs cocky owners of both WRX's and S2K's - it just depends on the driver. I'd love to test drive a WRX one day. Last time I saw one race was at the illegals: WRX (brand new with no plates, looked to be bone stock) raced an Integra (don't know what model or year) and the WRX had an amazing launch. Seriously, this guy must've perfected launching the WRX because he lunged forward so quickly (no wheel spin). However, since it's all-wheel drive, it must be very easy to launch, compared to the S2K at least. And yes, with just a few mods, you can turn a WRX into a beast - factory turbo cars are no joke.
Old 07-29-2002 | 02:00 PM

but modded WRX is something you should be careful with
Off the line, maybe. From a roll, the WRX better watch out. No offense, but the fourth gear in the WRX doesn't exactly strike fear in me.
WRX w/ a MBC (16.5 psi) and uppipe/turboback exhaust system will run either very low 5s or high 4s 0-60mph (C&D got 5.4 from a stock WRX). I've ridden many cars and WRX has been a car with the most amazing launch. You gotta to ride in a WRX to believe. AWD launch is simply amazing.... 1.8s 30'
Maybe, but that only tells half the story. Any car with AWD and a stick can get decent 0-60 times. Most of the heavily modded WRXs at ClubWRX are only hitting mid 13s to upper 13s with traps in the high 90s. Even the guys upgrading to VF34 turbos are only high 12s to low 13s.

Jimbo

Quick Reply: S2K + exhaust vs. stock WRX