S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2000 vs Ford Lightning

Old 06-19-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Jun 18 2006, 08:12 PM
Stop with the ricer races to 140 against speed limited cars!

Stock S will have a difficult time with a Lightning.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but is there really a winner in a very close street race?
ricer race? the **** is that
Old 06-19-2006, 09:25 PM

cool vid..yea..looked like a lightning..but was a real short race from what it looked like..
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Picturepro,Jun 19 2006, 01:04 AM
always race in Vtech and top up... I have lost a few over the past year with top down

, jp with ya.

But ANYWAYS, I'm not quite sure how it will turn out. All I can say is, keep the top up and hope he has no mods .
Old 06-19-2006, 11:44 PM

I've owned both cars at one point and it is almost impossible that stock vs. stock an S2k will win. Just ran one recently (stock vs. stock) and outcome is pretty much same after three tries. 2nd gear at 47-48mph rolls, you will get a jump (1 car or so) up until almost the end of third, the lightning will constantly pulls. Whatever you do, don't roll without vtec, I tried once and result is horrible.

Lightning speedometer said 140mph and it'll get there a hell lot faster than the S.

It more like a GT-40 with a bed since it has the same engine that came in the GT-40.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eluded,Jun 18 2006, 08:00 PM
The S goes 140?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:08 AM

I respect that truck very much...I've seen quite a few that were pretty quick.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:10 AM

I wanted to buy one before I got my RSX but I didn't really want two FI'ed
Old 06-23-2006, 03:05 PM

Just adding my 2 cent's...That was my video someone just posted a few post's ago, and let me tell you that is NOT the usual outcome with a lightning!

That Lightning was mildly modded!! Upgraded pullie, Full Exhaust, Intake, Chiped ECU...and if I remember correctly (he was an old friend) he had some fuel upgrades also. He said it was a low 12 second Truck...btw...

I've had a few other encounters with some Lightning's, closer to stock...And my 2 cents are that they are very much beatable by a near stock S2000...

A while back I was coming home from a Heat game when a pretty cool older guy pull's along side me in his Lightning at a red light, and say's "Nice car"...I was like thanks man, and a second or two after that the light turned green...Now I was not expecting anything at the moment, but the guy just punches it right away...well as soon as I could I punched it also...(rolling out of 1st gear at like 5 mph) Obviously I was no where near my powerband and by the time VTEC even turned on he was probally 4-5 lengths ahead of me, but I knew it wasen't a fair race, and I had another oppertunity to get one ahead as he cought the very next red light...So this time I pull up next to him but expecting...

Well the light stayed red for a hot minute...This guy look's over at me and say's "Yo son, you gotta learn to keep those Honda's in the High RPM's!!" (LMAO, I got a huge kick out of that one!) I was like, "oh really? what do you know about Honda's" He then laugh's, and starts saying how he use to built them, raced them, blown them up, and then rebuilt them again, over and over again, and I know american muscle is the way to go!"......(he said he use to own a jap. shop) Supprised, I was like ok sweet, atleast this guy know's something, unlike half the racer's out there that don't even know how to blot-on an Intake...anyway's the light we were sitting at turn's green and im about to give this guy the full monty of my S2000's power....I rev up to like 8200rpm's and when the light turns green I launched the hell out of my S...were off!!

Right out the hole I inch up about a half a car and stayed that way all through 1st...I shifted pretty quick into 2nd and he made up probaly 2 feet...me still a fender up all through 2nd...I shift to third taking her all the way to 9200 and he doesn't budge an inch...through 3rd I start to gain inches back on him and shift into 4th with about 1/2 a car lead...all the way through 4th to about 120mph I held him off to the exact distance I had right from the begining...1/2 a car! We both let off and give a thumb's up as were slowing down...he's tring to say something to me but I couldn't hear due to the wind noise (my top was down) so I pull into a gas station and he follow's...He get's out like all mad at me or something, asking what I have done to my little Honda...I was like only I/E, and a VAFC...he's not buying it and say's there's no way a 240hp honda could beat his Lightning...I asked him if he had any mod's and he replies kinda like a homo..."Yeahhh, she's got some work done to her...a little chip action here, and some intake action there"! I was like cool, and told him next time try not to tell me how to drive my car...especially when it just beat your's!! And I got back in my car and drove off a happy Honda owner!

Lightning's are beatable, you just have to drive it like you stole it!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I raced a black lightning last night in San Diego. He flew by me and reved so I followed suit. He was modded with at least an exhaust, which sounded really sick.

Anyways we went from a roll from about 60+. I jumped a 1/2-1 a car right away and stayed that way up untill about 120. He was slowly inching up but we hit a turn in the road with some traffic so I slowed down. I think he would have stopped inching and I would have pulled some more the faster we went.

After the race He then pulled on to the shoulder. Maybe something went wrong ??. I had the top up and have intake and exhaust plus passanger.

You can beat stockish lightnings from a roll but maybe not from a dig. They seem to put down some good 1/4 mile times with a driver.