S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2000 vs E46M3 (not standing start)

Old 12-24-2001, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frayed,

My track time was in a 95, although I have driven a 97 for about an hour in the canyons. 97 felt a bit stronger, but it wasn't overtly quicker according to my ever imprecise butt dyno, perhaps it weighed more? Then again, most 3.2s only put down, what, 10-12 more hp than the 3.0s, right?

UL
Old 12-24-2001, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The final comment I have to make is for those who keep saying the S2000 is tapped out. Give it a rest.
I could not agree with this anymore. People need to realize that this car is by no means tapped out, and the F20 has way more potential than people think. Wait for JDM companies such as JC and Toda to start really working on it, which they're just starting, and we'll see the true potential. As for comparing suspension mods the m3 loses because it's a heavier car. Give the 2,750 lb s2000 a set of toda racing coilovers, mugen swaybars, and a spoon x-brace and it's bye-byeee on the track. I think the E36 is great for what it is, BMW likes to make cars that are comfy and luxurious and have storage room, but can still kick some ass in the performance categories. The s2000 however was designed to have no cargo room, no storage, no back seat because it's designed to feel like a race car, not like a luxury car that still kicks ass. Both are sweet don't get me wrong, but it's comparing an almost pure race car to a luxury german car that's heavier but still kicks ass. I also know an NSX would walk all over an E46 M3 on any kind of road with *proper* drivers in both cars. In a straight line it's obviously a close comparison as both cars run low 13s stock, but on the track the NSX straight dominates.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by frayed
[B]
Like I said above, even though I'm not a 'magazine racer', I'd like to have a reference to just one magazine article comparing the two.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:04 PM

And when I was talking about magazines showing the S2000 to be superior, I was using numbers from tests that they did. All though the tests wern't conducted at the same time, I only compared numbers of the two cars from the same magazine. Since I don't have an E36 M3 to test my self (my friends got one, but he's afraid to even use the breaks hard on that car), this is my only way of determining which car is the better performing, and all magazines have shown the S2000 to have better numbers.
Old 12-25-2001, 12:52 AM

Speaking of my friend with the M3, I don't you if you read my post in another thread, but I raced him twice from a stop. 1-3 gear, I could barely pull 1 car length, but once I got into fourth gear, I started to pull hard. This is his second M3. His first one lost control on a turn and flipped.
Old 12-25-2001, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by S2k_fever

Do you even know me? How do you know what I have driven and how much I know. I'm sure he knows alot but the numbers don't lie. The s200 and E36 are very close in terms of performance. He just took my comment about posers a little too personally. Hey I say it like it is and that's the way it is here in Los Angeles, that's all. Most BMW owners here have no clue as to what performance is all about and think their car is the best thing on earth. Like I said I have friends who own BMW's.
Let's all have a merry Christmas and enjoy our cars.
Hmm... you're right I dont know you but I do know that you didn't read his post... and since all your
claims are from magazines (again in this post) instead from your own experience tells me that maybe
you dont own and track both cars.. You called BMW owner posers, what does other BMW owners
supposed to think?
And I'm in LA too (went to USC as well) and know a couple BMW owners... they all seems to be pretty
cool (the one i know), maybe it's just your friends..
Old 12-25-2001, 10:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KleeftonSi
[B]

Turbo, when are we gonna finally run man? LOL
Old 12-25-2001, 02:27 PM

I have a unique perspective when it comes to the e46 M3. I owned 1 of the first 50 to arrive int USA. I ordered it 1 1/2 years before its release. I bought it strictly as a investment and quickly turned it over for a nice $5,000.00 profit less than a month later. I enjoyed the car immensley but can honestly say it does not bring a grin to my face as much as hearing that s2000 vtec sound, plus at $20,00.00 more it is just noy worth the extra moey!!
Old 12-25-2001, 03:55 PM

Hey maddogtx,

Try and have an intelligent car discussion without being a complete _____ (you fill in the blank)
Old 12-25-2001, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by M3KVB
I have a unique perspective when it comes to the e46 M3. I owned 1 of the first 50 to arrive int USA. I ordered it 1 1/2 years before its release. I bought it strictly as a investment and quickly turned it over for a nice $5,000.00 profit less than a month later. I enjoyed the car immensley but can honestly say it does not bring a grin to my face as much as hearing that s2000 vtec sound, plus at $20,00.00 more it is just noy worth the extra moey!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: S2000 vs E46M3 (not standing start)