S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2000 vs E46M3 (not standing start)

Old 12-24-2001, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2k_fever
[B]

FYI I've driven a lot of sports cars as I have many close friends with expensive tastes.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sev
[B]I don't know about the others but I am having a discussion, I am not into throwing rocks...

I just disagree with the fact that just because a car is easier to drive at the limit by the average person, it is a better sports car. I would rather take the car with the higher limits and learn how to control it...

Anyways, I wish I could own both an S2k AND an E36 or E46 M3, it would be a perfect duo......

Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:01 AM

true, that's why there's the NSX for more power.
Frayed, you completely took this the wrong way. You referred to a course with straight line speed. You said that the S2000 cannot compete in those conditions, therefore, I referred to the NSX because of it's more horsepower. I referred to the NSX because it is also a Honda, the big brother of the S2000. The NSX is faster than the S2000 so that is why I called upon the NSX because of it's faster straight line speed compared to the S2000.

I hope this clears things up.

The S2k is more nimble. For sure. It's a force on the autocross circuit, laying waste to the competition in SCCA. I know of a half a dozen M3 guys that compete at the national level that are chomping at the bit next year, when the s2000 gets moved up a class. However, nimble low speed handling on an auto-x does not translate into domination on a high speed road course. To be sure, the S2000 is awesome on a road course, but I'd pick an M3 any day.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:38 AM
Former Moderator

for those that are having a discussion...good for you, keep it up. I think the people I'm talking about know who they are. Sev, from what I've read from you, you seem very honest, intelligent, and unbiased. I can't help but laugh at some of the comments made on this post though thats all.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus (appropriate this eve), some of you are on horses so high, I'm having trouble seeing you for the clouds!

I love the E36 motors, nice and torquey and feels as though the rev limiter should be set a lot higher, great performance gains available too. Handling wise, I read all the magazine articles and told myself I needed to get one of these cars. But when I finally had a chance to spend a few hundred miles in one, including time at the track, I said no. The E36 is immensely stable, but the price of that stability is a distinct unwillingness to change direction. I also felt that the M3 had a bit too much understeer in it as delivered, nor was I particularly impressed by the steering feel. Really didn't say any more to me than the S2000 did.

Of course, my tastes are different than many people's. I find the S2000's handling to be excellent and its behavior on the racetrack simply incredible. I have no problem drifting my S2000 at 90 mph or throwing it hard into a blind off-camber corner. The car simply does what I tell it to and if I tell it to do the wrong thing, it will. Garbage in, garbage out so to speak. BTW, I also find the S2000 too heavy, so the E36 M3 seems positively piggish to me in mass (can't imagine the E46). And yes, I am pretty good at the track and have had plenty of professional training, so maybe I'm the exception - take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The final comment I have to make is for those who keep saying the S2000 is tapped out. Give it a rest. When the car has been around for 6-7 years, lets compare then, shall we? The handling and the hp are not tapped out by any means. One only need look at the performance of suspension modified S2000's in various racing venues already. HP wise will take a bit longer if you want to stay NA, but we're getting there.

UL
Old 12-24-2001, 04:02 PM

I have no difficulty believing the story; I also find it amusing that BMW owners get upset because the S2000 didn't loose badly enough and don't seem willing to admit driver ability and balls are 50% of any street race.

For me, Honda had delivered an amazing convertible that can compete, stock, with coupes costing 2x (or more) as much. Can it win? I don't know, or care...but I do enjoy the surprise of people at the track who have never seen a S2000 preform before
Old 12-24-2001, 04:36 PM

Is the e46 the old style, i am not to familiar but if it is i will like to say they are not that fast. One sat afternoon i met on the nj turnpike a bunch of Bmw sort of like a group hanging out white 330 blue 325 yellow m (2002) and two black m's( old boddy style ) one a four door, so i stand next to them and they seem to want to have a little fun, so me and one the four door m's got to it we both down shift and stay at same speed at about 60 ( for us that is third gear ) ready to jump into vtec he takes off first i follow right within 1 sec and by the time i shifted to fourth i was ahead at it ended about 120 when i went to 5th gear, i thought he probably did something wrong but then we tried it again and again, same result, on the last one thought the yellow beemer was right behind me and wow that thing jumped like a cat and was right on my side maybe near my rear wheel, but traffic ahead got congested, with a little more time he could have passed me, pulled away out of sight i doubt it though. These guys were from MA i have mass plates too but i live both in NYC and MA, they were really cool about it, at the toll i told the one in the new m(yellow 02) that i wish i had enought money to afford one of those, amazingly he said the same thing he wants to have both the m and the s !
Old 12-24-2001, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TurboVtk
[B]Is the e46 the old style, i am not to familiar but if it is i will like to say they are not that fast.
Old 12-24-2001, 05:22 PM

Hey UL, good buddy,

Good to hear from you. We've traded replies a couple of times, and think it's great to talk with someone with track experience that does not insist on magazine racing.

Anyway, which M3 did you drive? A 95 or 96+?

The answer to that is highly relevant to the 'discussion.'

Jeff
Old 12-24-2001, 06:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JT-KGY
[B]

I for one would certainly take his opinions about

Quick Reply: S2000 vs E46M3 (not standing start)