S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2000 vs E46M3 (not standing start)

Old 12-23-2001, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from an E36 BMW to the S2k, then back to a BMW, the S2k's steering feel isn't that great. Don't confuse quickness with communicative steering. You must have read only the positive reviews of the S2k, as some publications noted numb steering. Some folks agree:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...t=numb+steering

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...t=numb+steering

An NSX disposing of an E46 M3? Their 0-60 and 1/4 times are almost identical.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kadeshpa
[B]
And finally, I'm not sure which press you're quoting, but the s2k has had glowing reviews regarding its total handling package.
Old 12-23-2001, 02:29 PM
Former Moderator

I'll say it one more time...argueing on the internet is like running in the special olympics...even if you win you're still retarded. drop it guys, neither side is going to give in.
Old 12-23-2001, 02:40 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kadeshpa
[B]

You're having delusions of grandeur.
Old 12-23-2001, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and I thought a few of the S2K owners were a bit fanatical about their cars! Very funny thread
Old 12-23-2001, 02:46 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E30M3
[B]Some points:

* If you want to compare only other convertibles to the S2k, maybe you should make it only designed-as-convertibles with two seats.
Old 12-23-2001, 05:15 PM

I just enjoyed a nice dinner, have a belly full of wine, and am in a good mood. I just thought I'd throw this in for good measure. Everyone have a great holiday!

------------------------------------

BMW ///M3.

A flawless handler.

BMW's ///M3 is one of the least-expensive cars in this group. It's also the tallest and narrowest car and has the most-usable rear seat. Its first-place finish proves that superb handling does not require exotic-car packaging or exotic-car prices.

The ///M3's cockpit works naturally. The driver's seat offers a commanding view of the road and the hood's corners. Hands fall instinctively to the steering wheel and shifter, as do feet to the pedals. An adjustable steering wheel would have been nice, as well as more lateral support, but these issues didn't get in the way of our adoration.

The ///M3 possesses uncanny roadgoing ability. This is the most-agile car here. The steering eagerly bites into corners and is alive with feel. "Constantly talking to my fingers," wrote Csere. It latches onto a line in corners as if on a mission from God. Webster: "Rolls gracefully into curves at a constant rate and goes right where you point it."

The ///M3 covers for you. The suspension shrugs off bumps, swells, and off-camber depressions without upsetting the line. Not once did any driver cross it up. Smith: "Overcooked a corner, and the BMW's forgiving nature made it interesting rather than scary." Even at the hairy edge of traction, the ///M3 is accepting of further driver input, which builds tremendous confidence. Unlike the Acura NSX, the Dodge Viper, or even the Ferrari F355, you feel free to explore the ///M3's limits without fear that something awful awaits if you miscalculate.

The ///M3 is like one of those mules that pull tour duty in the Grand Canyon, year after year: It isn't capable of a misstep. This car lets you seek out its limits quicker and more confidently than any of the other cars here. If that doesn't make for a winning handler, we don't know what does.

.... So, what's the best-handling car at any price? ...It's an eight-horn salute to the BMW ///M3 as "the best-handling car."

----------------------------

and to all a good night!
Old 12-23-2001, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical poser BMW owners! Know too many of them here in Cali. They put their tails between their legs when they see a faster car but have mouths as open as grand canyon when it comes to something similar in performance.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:04 PM

Poser?

Have you had your precious S2000 out on a road course? Have you driven an E36 M3? My guess is no and no.

BTW, the quote I posted was from Car and Driver, Sept 1997.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:22 PM

Handling is NOT big skid pad and slalom figues. Some great handling cars have mediocre limits. You have to be able to consistently control the beast and not feel terrified about it such that you find yourself backing off. You shouldn't have a heart attack if you hit a normal mid corner bump. Steering feel is super duper important. That is not an S2K strength according to the press BTW.
I find this to be way off, especially after driving the s2000 the way I do, at the limit. I've never had anything but confidence over bumps or flooring it in VTEC over bumps in a hard turn(boy that LSD is badass!). I hate it when people compare new car prices to used cars prices. I'd take an new s2k over a new E36 anyday....and a brand new s2k over a used E36 is a no-brainer for me. To each their own, but I like the feel of being in a race car that the s2000 produces, it's the closest thing to a sport bike on four wheels. The E36 is nice, but it's still meant with smooth rides and luxury in mind. The s2000 is pure race car, and once you start upgrading the suspension it's game over on the road course.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs E46M3 (not standing start)