S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2000 vs Camaro Z28 (310 HP)

Old 05-29-2001, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My S2000 is completely stock, thinking of a SC but thats another story. Soooo, i was on forest ave in Northern New Jersey, Just riding around, when i see a Z28 infront of me. I start to play around with him, get on his ass, flash my lights. (as you see, this was a VERYYY boring day.) This is only a one lane street, so i couldn't pass him. Then he guns it infront of me. I couldn't do anything but follow, waiting for him to turn. YESSS he turns into a 4 lane street. I stay back for a second, then downshift to 2nd and floor it. He waits till were about even and guns it. He got me off the start good, But my old friend VTEC stopped by around 6RPM and i flew by him. The funny thing was that when i passed, around 70-80mph, he shifted and spun the tires at 80mph!!!!!, now thats power. You think its over but it ain't. I slow down for him too catch up. Not alot of races in NJ, so i gotta milk each one dry. He's behind me now, and guns it, he passes me AGAIN. DAMN, We have no low end!!!!!. But as always,i blaze past him again with ease as i feel the VTEC push me against my seat.What a great feeling!!!! So then, i turn to go to my friends house, he follows, we get out of the car, I'm thinking hes gonna kick my ass for winning, but it turns out the guys cool, and it amazed me when he said he has 310HP with his exhaust and some bolt ons. I was thinking how can a 240Hp car beat a 310HP car?? Is it because my car weighs as much as his engine lol or what. I mean i'm pretty good in stick but not that good to kill this car. The guy didn't seem that bad either. Well thats my story and i'm sticking to it!!! lol
Old 05-29-2001, 07:55 PM

well, you will get this a lot on this thread so let me start...

he either was play with you or it wasn't a LS1.

-Shing
Old 05-29-2001, 08:04 PM

No, it was a definitly a LS1, I don't think the guy would lie to me about that. I really don't think he was playing with me. When we stopped to talk, he said he tried hard, and was very surprised at the outcome, just like i was. As long as I won!! MUHAHAH
Old 05-29-2001, 08:33 PM

he said 310hp w/ bolt ons and exhuast.. so its likely it was a LT-1.. a new LS1 is 310 stock. if it was a LS1 he must be a bad driver or you have a freak car like skitz.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by ace039
No, it was a definitly a LS1, I don't think the guy would lie to me about that. When we stopped to talk, he said he tried hard, and was very surprised at the outcome, just like i was.
um if it was an ls1 you wouldve lost, and if it was he must not know how to drive a stick, you sure it wasnt a rs with z28 badges?
Old 05-29-2001, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally I'd be the first to call BS, but I just had my first experience with an LS1 in my S2k this weekend. From 20-80 mph he barely gained on me (less than half a car) and I had a large passenger in the car (I do have a mugen header).

I'm not saying the LS1 cars are slower than an S2K. I've seen way too many stock examples running mid/low 13's which I know my car won't run. But...it appears that the 6-spds need plenty of driving skill just as our cars do. The autos will tromp us on the launch and then hold us off. The 6-spd can launch almost as well and then will pull even harder at speed, but only with a good driver. It appears that there are some bad 6-spd LS1 drivers out there just like there are bad S2K drivers out there. I've heard similar stories from a lot of pretty credible people about hanging with or even holding off an LS1 F-body through third gear. Doesn't jive from a power perspective, but it has now happened to me, so I have to think it can happen.

UL
Old 05-30-2001, 12:06 AM

Hey UL,

Where did you meet up with this guy?? Where you still in town, or out enjoying the 3 day weekend.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]Normally I'd be the first to call BS, but I just had my first experience with an LS1 in my S2k this weekend.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:43 AM

Nah, I was in town, just down in Long Beach. I was working with my friend to lay up some fiberglass prototype parts for the car and we stopped to go get dinner. The LS1 tried us on the way out and coming back a guy in a 540 tried us. We pulled pretty hard on him once we realized he was racing.

I told my friend that I got more races in 15 minutes in Long Beach than I do in 3 months where I live.

UL
Old 05-30-2001, 10:34 AM

Yeah, tell me about it. Not too many people want to race down in the South Bay.

How'd you do against the 540???

The funny thing is, I went down to In and Out burger on Lomita and Crenshaw on a Friday night and all these young ricer guys hang out there. I think a lot of them go off somewhere to street race. I remember in my younger days, going off to some places in Gardena to street race. Guess the tradition lives on.
Old 05-30-2001, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I get ricers hitting me up in my CRX all the time. Some kid in a new Civic coupe, lowered with an exhaust was revving on me. I looked at him like "you're kidding" and he punched it. I kept surging up ahead, getting off the gas till he caught up, and then surging ahead again. he didn't seem to get the picture.

The 540 really wasn't a big deal. I was behind him at a light and he launched pretty hard. I was rolling out at idle and said "oh yeah?" and punched it. He got about 2 lengths before I got into it and hhit VTEC and by the top of second gear I was at his back bumper. Side by side I would have creamed him. Probably was an automatic.

UL

Quick Reply: S2000 vs Camaro Z28 (310 HP)