S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2000 vs....

Old 07-21-2002, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's Saturday afternoon, around 3:30 or so. I'm heading back to my apartment after a long drive, and I'm now in Westwood Village, making my way through the town. A pair of men in a Z3 kept looking at me and smiling and trying to get my attention (no, not good attention), so I abruptly flipped a hard left at the next street. Now I notice a ~2000 model Carrera with its top down, and 2 mid-20s looking guys sitting in it, driving pretty aggressively. I make a right on Gayley, right behind them.(I have to go this way anyway) I accelerate up to 50 or so, trying to read the oncoming turn as best I could. I'm in the left lane.

Dirt on the road, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, and continuing ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE TURN. I SLAM on the brake and throw it into 2nd gear and force the clutch to slow me down. I look ahead and see CONCRETE BARRIERS gradually overlapping the right lane. I'm now doing about 30. I am in the left lane and I've got to stay there. There is only one lane ahead, with 2 for oncoming traffic. I see oncoming traffic about 40 feet away about to come around the turn, not aware that I'm going too fast for this turn with dirt on the road. I have never drifted before, but I didn't feel comfortable gassing the turn with god knows what at my nose while I'm in the middle of the turn. The turn begins.

I let off the brake, but not the clutch. My car is veering to the opposite lane of traffic, so I just hit the brake and pulled to the right. The car starts going into understeer, and I suddenly come face to face with the barrier at 30 miles an hour. I slam on the brake and swing my head behind me, the car now going completely backwards, spinning closer to the barrier. It's too late to do anything. The left front side of the car SLAMS into the wall. I continue hit the brakes, still going backwards, but I am decelerating. I try to avoid another impact but the rear end slams into the same barrier and the car coasts backward and comes to a stop right at the end of the wall.

I put my hazards on. The 2 guys in the Porsche asked if I was okay. I was fine. I took a deep breath and got out of the car. Just looked like a few large scuffs on the front and rear bumpers and left fenders. Then I noticed the left front wheel. The tire was scraped, the wheel was scraped, and the brake rotor was CRACKED into 2 pieces! A huge chunk, probably about 1/3 of the rotor itself, was sitting there, ready to fall out in between the spokes on the rim. I couldn't believe my eyes. When the tow truck driver pulled the car forward, the piece of rotor fell out, still steaming hot. A cop joined the scene, he was very cool about it. He called the tow truck himself.

My Integra and I are now getting to know each other again. I miss the S already.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry dude

just hope u get it back soon
Old 07-21-2002, 10:36 PM

atleast your ok. you will get your S back in no time... do you have any pics of the S?
Old 07-22-2002, 04:25 AM

Sorry to hear about your mishap dude.

I have had a similar experience.

I side swiped a concrete barrier.

I smashed the shit out of one of my brake discs too. It's hanging on my wall as a souvenir
Old 07-22-2002, 11:25 AM

whoa! sounds like an experience! well, you're fine and your S will be soon enough (hopefully!!!). it was just some bad luck, nothing more. glad it wasn't worse...

good luck with the repairs...

damn that dirt!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2002, 04:01 PM

Hey Lee do go to UCLA cause i know what streets you are talking about and plus i always see a silver s2k wondering if that is you
Old 07-28-2002, 08:27 PM

sorry to hear that
Old 07-31-2002, 08:54 AM

Have your alignment checked thoroughly (have them dial in the UK specs?!). I'm saying this since the suspension arms are somewhat delicate and quite easily bend.

The financial damage hurts, but do not forget: -You are ok. Thats the most important thing.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:32 PM

Well 16 days later and the car will be back soon.

The rotor obviously needed to be replaced, as well as the wheel, suspension (Don't know the full details about this yet), and the scrapes on the bumpers need to be fixed at a body shop. The holdup was all thanks to a back-orderered bolt which finally got here.

I live very close to UCLA... I drive a Black/Black, and I've seen quite a few S2000s show up here in the last few weeks. The silver one is usually parked about a block away from me.