S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S vs. Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Old 05-12-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S vs. Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Hey guys,
I don't consider myself a racer, but i have been known to get on it when the urge comes along. I was just crusing down the toll way, and this black GTP comes up tailgating me. I politely keep pace, until I can move to the right lane. He passes and I follow in behind him at a safe distance. He then moves over to the right lane and paces me. I actually ignore him for a while. Eventually, I look over, and we give each other a what's up nod. I think he wants to go. I say what the heck. I know nothing of his car, but who cares yeah? We are going about 70 already. I drop it to 3rd, and punch it. Dude, the sound is sweeet....WAAAAAHHHHHH!!! I didn't know where he was until I could see him in the rear view mirror. I guess I pulled him pretty hard.

can these cars (GTP) be modded to be really fast? I was just curious. Anyways, my first REAL race I guess. Hopefully not too many in the future, but it was fun
Old 05-12-2003, 08:55 AM
d2d

My inlaws have one, and when the father is driving it, and I'm in my S, we play around quite a bit. Always highway runs, and I always beat it soundly. I've heard they can be modded, new belt or pulley on the supercharger or something.

GTP has some kick though, hell of a grocery-getter/people mover.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:57 AM

for GTP to match up to S, they'd need to replace that supercharger, I doubt the stock thing can flow enough to make good power just by getting smaller puley, those units have a very limited effective range, at some point it will increase boost alright, but will not increase power (I know sounds odd, but look in MM&FF issue on Kenne Bell working on 03 Cobra)
Old 05-12-2003, 10:39 AM

Good kill, I don't think they're anything special if they're stock. However, like any F/I car they can be made fast(er) relatively easy. Here's a link I pulled off of a WRX forum.

http://intense-racing.com/GTP/TurboGP.html
Old 05-12-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

for GTP to match up to S, they'd need to replace that supercharger, I doubt the stock thing can flow enough to make good power just by getting smaller puley, those units have a very limited effective range, at some point it will increase boost alright, but will not increase power
You better hope you don't meet up with a modded GTP because you will eat those words. My friend has a 97 that he has put quite a bit of work in to, still with the STOCK supercharger, and it can definitely take me without a problem. We aren't talking about getting smacked around or anything. I'm only losing by about a car length or so but those things still have some damn good power to them. He has intake, exhaust, smaller pulley, gatorback belt?, fuel pressure regulator, thermostat and some other various goodies. Definitely a nice grocery getter.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:55 PM

sounds like I was kind of lucky to not have my arse handed to me. heheheh. I knew there had to be a bunch of potential in that car.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Banned

Nah, a stock GTP is nothing compared to an S, even though an S is 2L i4 NA and a GTP is 3.xL V6 supercharged. Cool, heh?
Old 05-12-2003, 05:16 PM

good kill tom
Old 05-12-2003, 06:07 PM

Wow you got that race in, sorry Tom I don't want to steal your thunder, but I got raped by a viper today. This isn't the new body style just the previous with brand new plates. Good thing I had my video camera in the passenger seat. Although I didn't video tape the race I was able to talk to him at a light before I started taping him from behind. I told him he would rape me, and he asked me what kind of engine is under, "I4", he said "dayumm". Light turns green, and I pace him and video tape him just spirit driving. I turned and he gave me the thumbs up.

Also to add, on the way home a test demo of the Cayenne S was in my view mirror, I quickly whip out the camera and start taping. The salesmen looks over and gives me the thumbs up. So many cars in one day, w00t!

I'll transfer it to my pc when i figure how to.

-Trung
Old 05-12-2003, 06:56 PM

Hehehehe... What do you think (of the new avatar)?

As for the van... I take it to the Beltway every now and then, so if you ever see a gray Nissan Quest with an A&M sticker on the rear windshield, watch out!

Quick Reply: S vs. Pontiac Grand Prix GTP