S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S vs 5.0 Stang

Old 03-22-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S vs 5.0 Stang

Minded my own biz as I was sitting at a light when all of a sudden a old 5.0 stang came and stopped right next to me on the left side, we made our left turn which leads to a quite hwy. I got caught behind a car which also entered the ramp from the oncoming lane and his lane was clear, he took one look at me then guns it up the ramp. I knew fosure that he was going to wait while he was on the hwy, got onto the hwy and switched lane to cut that slow car that was in front. He was on the left lane so I'd switched back to the right, right as we'd evened up that he guns it. I was like , no beep beep beep bang? He'd slowed down again and as I'd approached I'd downed it to 3rd, waited for him to gun it again and he does. Right as he'd gunned it I floored it, he'd inched ahead cuz he'd took off first but then as I floored it that I'd pulled right off the bat. At the end of 3rd and he's not gaining, had about 3 cars on him. Shifted to 4th and right when I'd shifted to 5th that I'd had roughly about 10+ cars on him. That 5.0 was LOUD, even had a gauge on the hood which was on the drivers side. We'd took an exit and got caught as a light behind some traffics, talked for a bit and he'd said it's mostly stock but I knew it wasn't. By the sound of it and the way it took off from a light that it was clearly not stock, said that it was going to be superchared in a few weeks and that the next outcome won't be the same. If I can pull that hard on him, do you guys think that even if he'd went supercharge that he can pull on me? I know them 5.0 can be scary fast, lucky for me this one wasn't. Oh and it was indeed a manual, thought I was gonna get toasted by the way he'd took off but then it was totally the opposite. God damn, I love my S .
Old 03-22-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They can be strong out of the hole. But the suffer from a very weak top end. A simple catback will make the thing sound like a monster so he very well could've only had minor exhaust work.

It's hard to say what it will do even with a supercharger. I mean the "newest" foxbodies are still 13 years old. Who knows what kind of shape the engine is in. If i were gonna build up an old fox, i'd buy a crate motor and start from there .
Old 03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice kill.

After my 5.0 kill tonight, damn, I love my S too.

But I loved it before then.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense to civic owners but it was like racing a base model civic, that thing didn't even pull hard at all. Matter of fact I think a SI civic can beat it, raced a few and they gave more fight then that 5.0 stang. Alot of show offs but when it came time to go that he had nothing, kind of surprised me when I'd pulled that hard on him. First thing the guy said when we'd talked was "You got a nice ride there", then "you must be supercharged right?". Told him that I only have basic bolt on which doesn't do much but then who will believe that unless they own or really know the S anyhow? I could tell that that thing had alot of torque from how he'd took off at the light, it must of dragged him to the rear seats .
Old 03-23-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fox stangs will run high 14's stock. I don't think a base civic can touch that. However, from a roll who knows. The 5.0's aren't made to be highway racers, they are drag cars pure and simple. They have a terrible top end but have a boat load of low end TQ. You can make them track beasts with mods but stock, they are just plane OLD. I've owned 3 fox body stangs and one of them would've stomped any stock/near stock S2k (the other 2 would get stomped by a stock s2k) so there are fast 5.0's out there. But i defineately wouldn't be affraid to race them