S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Road Rage, experience with a bicycler using the streets as his road.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Rage, experience with a bicycler using the streets as his road.

How many of you guys hate it when bicyclers use the street to ride their bikes on? I for one get very annoyed, so here is my confrontation this evening.

I was coming home from dinner at around 11:30pm. About to make my right hand turn, I see a bicyclist. He is traveling at a very slow speed; on top of that he is in the middle of the damn road with NO lights. I change over and get behind him. He totally ignores me and so I get closer. Finally he turns around and sees me. At first I am expecting his dumb ass to pull aside and let me pass -- Instead what does he do? He stops in the middle of the road. Of course by now I am about 5' off his rear bumper.

Here is the conversation.

Him: (gesture) he sticks both of his hands out.

Me: I stick my hands out, and say are you going to move?

Him: why are you riding my ass?

Me: You are in the middle of the street.

Him: (racial) slurs -- me being Asian, you can imagine. "go eat some chow mein," etc, etc, etc.

Me: You're lucky you are on a bike dumb f*ck.

Him: more racial slurs. (Mostly naming off his list of Chinese cuisine)

Me: Go home and f*ck your sister in your trailer park you d*mb redneck.

Him: pauses for a second, (then continues to blabber on about something, naming out the Chinese cuisine)

At this point I have had enough so I put my car in reverse and start to back up. He then turns back around gets on his bike and starts pedaling.

I drive by and he starts howling like a dog and I scream "redneck."

The guy looked to be in his early 30's 5'10" and ~ 155lb. Funny thing is he doesn't even look like a redneck, kind of like a beat up surfer dood -- just older.

What surprised me was the poor attempt of his racial slurs -- obviously he tried to rattle me up.

I don't know what world he lives in cause if he did that to some vato's, niggaz, or anyone else who doesn't give a f*ck he'd be dead.

Oh well, he'll get his soon...
Old 08-26-2003, 12:30 AM

maybe hes not so racist to use those racial slurs, and was just mad. i dunno, but its not like you were completely innocent, you could've avoided that confrontation.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why didn't you just pass him in the first place? Sounds a bit like you were intimidating him. Check your local laws, but in most places cyclists have every right to use the road.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vjarnot
[B]Why didn't you just pass him in the first place?
Old 08-26-2003, 05:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vjarnot
[B]Why didn't you just pass him in the first place?
Old 08-26-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I would have to guess he (the biker rider) was drunk..... not too many sober people ride bikes in the middle or the road.... hell not too many sober people ride bikes at 11:30pm...........

I used to ride my bicycle in college and be so drunk that I did not remember riding it.......o the good old days.......

Anyway..... most bike riders ride in the daylight, in the right 2 feet of the road / berm ...then some asshole trys to sideswipe them with their mirror instead of being courteous.....
Old 08-26-2003, 06:43 AM

Not the middle of the road. And certainly not at 11:30pm without lights, except maybe during certain months in Alaska.
Sounds to me like you both f'up. While he may not have had all the proper safety equipment on his bicycle he has as much right to the road as you do. As a former cyclist I do know the laws on riding a bicycle in the street and you had better hope that a police officer didn't see you doing that or that you didn't meet some of my old crew as they might have decided to crack your head with an air pump or otherwise. Just because you are driving a larger vehicle you cannot demand the right of way... not that you have it in the first place.

Of course he too f'up by not having the proper safety equipment as well as screaming a variety of colorful remarks.

I'm sure though that looking at your own mode of transportation that one might find some 'violations' of local safety laws, but it has nothing at all to do with anyone elses right to run you over.

I myself would have had the proper safety gear and would have definately been riding in the middle of my lane. If some motorist decided to pull the same stunt you pulled I don't think I would have moved either.

Oh and yes you are a prick if you drive your car extremely close to someone on a bicycle.. It does not matter whether or not you like the law... Try telling that to the judge if you wind up running the guy over if he falls down... Your sorry azz will be in jail.... for a long.... long........ long time

If you ride my ass that close while i'm on my bicycle you better be prepared to get some free pinstripes courtesy of my chainring.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ccarnel
[B]
Old 08-26-2003, 07:07 AM

After an encounter like that, I probably would have given him a "love tap" on his rear-wheels just so he gets the idea.

For the bicyclers out there...it's not because he's on a bike. It's because he lacked what we'd call common courtesy, and an ignorant racist idiot to boot.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:18 AM

Yes I agree. It doesnt matter if he is on a bike or a truck or if he is walking. It may be within his legal rights to do so, but come on dude, get the heck out of the way and let the cars behind you pass. I am not upset about his racial remarks but I'm pissed off at guys like that. People who shout "our god given constitution rights" and act inconsiderate to others. What if a 16 year old minor shoots a man and kills him. He prolly will not do heavy jail time and he prolly will not be sentenced to death, because the constitution or our virginia law says 16 year olds can't be tried for capital murder. Now does that mean the 16 year old did the right thing? If the dead man was your family member, would you feel better knowing that the law allows the 16 year old to just walk away and just forget about the whole incident? well its the law isn't it ?

This was an extreme example, but you get the point.

Quick Reply: Road Rage, experience with a bicycler using the streets as his road.