S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

raced RSX on the way to work tonight

Old 07-02-2002, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the way to work tonight, I was getting near the freeway. As I turned left onto a road, there was a car across the way turning right to go the same direction as me.

As he turns, I hear a bit of squealing tires, and look back. Can't tell what it is really. I let it pass me and see it's an RSX. Goes by and it's a black RSX-S. He's got an exhaust, though I can't tell what brand. Looks to be about a 2 1/2 inch pipe maybe???

There is traffic ahead, so there's no chance to run, but I am hoping he goes the same way I do. I speed up, and he does too. Getting closer to traffic I move behind him, and he takes off.

Not wanting to fly by the cars in the right lane at high speeds, I don't floor it. I speed up a bit to try to keep up, and we get closer to a light that turns red. I am right next to him, but there are 2 cars so no chance for a stoplight race. I look over and he's looking at my car with a slight grin on his face. (kinda doing that thing where you pretend to be looking in your sideview, but you are actually looking at the car next to you)

We both move into the right lane (me, so I can get on the freeway.... i'm hoping he does the same). Here comes the onramp, and yup... there's that blinker.

We both get on the onramp, and he floors it again. I accelerate quickly, letting him get a bit of a lead since there is light traffic to merge with. Into traffic we go. I move all the way to the left lane, in behind him. We continue this moving through lanes for about 2 miles... FINALLY a break in traffic. Also a very level open part of the freeway.

As he gets around the last car blocking his way from opening up, I downshift to 3rd ready to go. Around the car he goes, and he takes off. I also go through the gap and then move over a lane and floor it. He is about a length ahead, and we started at about 75mph.

With 3rd gear I make up the gap and get a bit ahead of him. Our 3rd gear pulls hard on these cars. Into 4th, and I am still pulling. I wind out to 120mph and I'm now about 4 lengths ahead. We are coming up on a curve as well as my exit, so I let off. He goes by and has this huge grin on his face. Big thumbs up and on our seperate ways.

Other than exhaust I obviously don't know what his other mods were. I expect similar results when I race an RSX later this week and get it on video. (if the guy shows up)

It is almost 80 degrees out and very humid, so the S is running a bit slower than full power, but it's obviously not slow enough to lose this race.

p.s. forgot to add i also had the top down (windows up)
Old 07-03-2002, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kill dude.
Killing a RSX-S is not a big accomplishment but since you are happy
Old 07-03-2002, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by peterpan
Good kill dude.
Killing a RSX-S is not a big accomplishment but since you are happy
well according to the rsx forum the rsx is a S2000 killa so maybe it is a big accomplishment!!
*hint of sarcasm*
Old 07-03-2002, 10:19 AM
Sev

An RSX is fast enough to give an s2k a good run on a short stretch, no match on longer runs though.

The K20 also responds well to mods so they can benefit from a good set of I/H/E greatly.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:24 AM

Yeah, several of us ClubRSX members realize that our cars are fast, but not to be compared much to the S2000. Good kill, remember it is all in good fun!!! If I ever kill an S2k I will definitely share...
Old 07-03-2002, 12:22 PM

Wis,
good run! although a slightly modded RSXS is still not as fast as the S, but its like I said in the other rsxs vs. s2000 forums, from my experience the s2000's 3rd gear pulls hard on the RSXS on the hywy. Your run sounds about right, 2 cars for 3rd and about another 2 for 4th, plus top down, you should have no prob. with the RSXS. Looking forward to seeing the vid.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:22 PM

I am calling BS, no way you pulled on an RSX-S, Ivtec is much better than Vtec

Where is the video at?
Old 07-03-2002, 03:33 PM

KleeftonSi, I remembered you!! you were the one who was saying that Civic Si with I/H/E that will only lose 2 cars length when competiting with S2000 in a 1/4 miles race... and when we offered the race and bet 2K bucks on it..then you chicken out...!! And, now, you are talking..!!
Old 07-03-2002, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah a Si can hang with a S only if a monkey was driving the S perhaps.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KleeftonSi
[B]I am calling BS, no way you pulled on an RSX-S, Ivtec is much better than Vtec

Quick Reply: raced RSX on the way to work tonight