S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Raced an M5 and got .............

Old 01-28-2002, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced an M5 and got .............

I'm on the florida turnpike driving on the fast lane going about 100 and i see a group of cars up ahead on the middle and left lane so I get on the right lane and fly by them.. and ahead i see some car weaving in and out of traffic, I dont pay it any mind. So finally I catch up to the car and i see its a BMW which he is on the left lane and no car in front of him. Up ahead about 10 car lenths is a car in the middle and on the right lane so I figure I speed up and get in front of him, so as i speed up by him around 8000rpms in 3rd i see the deep dish rims and that M5 rear spolier and quickly glance and see the M5 logo and "vr00m" I go around him. I start laughing like "oh ooo..." I hope he didnt think I tried him. Sure enough he starts to flash his lights and speed up behind me. Right at that moment i'm thinking "ok, I cant run him from side to side.. so I start to slow down, he cant pass me because there is a car on both the middle and right lane. So I slow down to about 70.. he's right on my a$$.. and i downshift into 3rd and punch it, there is no traffic in front of us for a while, I switch into 4th and he's next to me.. and about the end of 5th at about 140 he's about a car and a half in front of me and we both let off. He hit his brakes and got off on the next exit.. and sure enough, I was suppose to get off there too. So I missed my freggin exit, Oh well that was fun, he must of thought I was trying to pick on him.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M5's are unfreakin believable. . .my wife wants one, but at $73k and 389 horses, I just can't allow it!

This encounter reminds me of when I saw my first M5 from afar. In fact, it was on my travel from New Bern to Knoxville in September for the DragonBall Run. At any rate, I see the M5 and really had NO desire to race with it. I just wanted to get a closer look. Well the driver was going to have none of that. He/she just cruised off and was doing at least 110+. . .leaving me at least 4 or 5 car lengths behind!

All of a sudden, a North Carolina State Trooper emerges from an on ramp and halls ass to catch up to the M5. He (the Trooper) pulls right next to the M5 and then together, side by side. . .they hall ass out of sight!

I just could'nt believe it. . .maybe the person in the M5 was someone very important. Nevertheless, it left an everlasting memory of the grace and precision the M5 surely has!
Old 02-02-2002, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience. One night a friend and I were cruising on this one lane road that opens up into two lanes (called Mureau {<<spelling} for anybody who lives in the area). Out of nowhere this guy flys up on my ass while we are in the 1 lane section, i see the "Angel Eyes" that at this time were only on the new 5-series. My buddy whips out the video camera and we prepare for a race, both of us are hoping its a 540 considering that those are really the only competition I get from the 5-series. Anyway, road gets to 2 lanes, he pulls up, we floor it, I see his tail lights, he had at least a few car lengths on me up to 120. Anyway, lets just say that video footage didn't make it through the night.