S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Raced a 225hp Audi TT... Not impressed..

Old 10-17-2002, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced a 225hp Audi TT... Not impressed..

Given the altitude, and the fact that the TT is turbo'd I was expecting a closer race...

On the diagonal highway towards Longmont, I got behind an Audi TT at a light. When the light went green he hit it and took off. Not aware of his intent I was going into second as he gunned it. So I put the pedal down and caught up. I got beside him and he was smiling and pointing ahead. At about 65mph I put it in 3rd and waited for him to get behind me (slow car in his lane). Once he was in behind, I blipped the gas a few times to be sure he was ready. Spotting an opening I gunned it while watching him in the rear view to see how close he'd be. To my dismay, he just kept fading and fading... by the time I was well into 4th (100 or so), he had probably lost 4-5 cars. Traffic was ahead so we braked and he pulled up beside me with a huge grin and a thumbs up!! I continued happily on my way as he turned off at the next light...

Does that seem right to everyone?? I was expecting him to at least stay within close proximity (like 2 cars), but it seemed like the more we went, the more I was pulling away?? Maybe he started in the wrong gear, or maybe he was just playing around, but with a similar hp/weight ratio and his turbo advantage at 5000 ft, it just seemed a bit odd.. Anyone else have similar experiences??
Old 10-17-2002, 09:55 AM

Good kill!

Audi TTs are even slower than Boxsters, and you were racing the higher horsepower version. Try throwing some turns into the mix and they'll fall behind even faster than a Mustang GT would.

That car is a joke.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:01 AM

Sounds like a fun little blast.

Perhaps it was a 180hp version? The 225hp version is still not as quick as your M3 coupe, especially given the added heft of the TT and the higher parasitic loss from the AWD system. Even at nearly a mile high I'd still say your M3 is quicker. Turbo cars still lose power at altitude, just not as much as a normally aspirated one.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:02 AM

I think the 225 hp TTs have dual exhaust, the 180's have single.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:04 AM

LOL, actually the race started on a long right hand sweeper... Talk about body roll...
Old 10-17-2002, 10:05 AM

LOL, that was the first thing I looked for when I was behind him at the light.. Dual Tips..
Old 10-17-2002, 10:17 AM

just imagine how easy they are to beat in miami
Old 10-17-2002, 10:21 AM

ROTFL

I really thought they'd be a bit faster....
Old 10-17-2002, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran one in the M coupe when they first came out somewhere up north.

It was from a stop. The Audi rolled up next to me at the light, young guy with his young girlfriend. Now what's funny is the snotty look and smirk she gave me before turning to the guy and saying somthing -- whereupon he revved.

We went twice, the first time I let him jump off the line but put 3 or 4 lengths on him by the time I was somewhere in third.

The next time I launched and never looked back, he was ... I dunno ... way way back there somewhere.

Now what's really a testament to how slow they are is the fact that I managed to pull one up a long incline on the way to the track in Seattle in the ITR. I had 4 track wheels, an air tank, a toolbox, two jacks and some other stuff in back and still slowly pulled past the guy from 1200-2200 feet over the pass (at least I believe that's the listed pass altitude) starting at around 70mph.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:59 AM

TT= over priced Golf...give me a 1.8 T anyday.

Quick Reply: Raced a 225hp Audi TT... Not impressed..