S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Pulled Over!

Old 11-28-2002, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled Over!

So here I am following my fiance home from thanksgiving dinner driving the speed limit as there was a county cop right infront of her. All of a sudden the cop pulls over and slams the brakes. I pass him thinking he musta gotten a call or something. Next thing I know here he comes with his lights on and pulls me over.
I pull over and spend about 5 min waiting for him to come out and talk to me. No clue what I did wrong as I was going the speed limit, didn't have an ounce to drink, so I'm dumb founded.
Finally he comes up to the window and says:

him: Sir, are you in a hurry or something?
me: No not at all, I was driving the speed limit.
him: Well could you tell me why you were flashing your brights at everyone? The only reason you could have been doing that is if you were in a hurry or needing assitance.
me: Well I wasn't flashing my brights. It could have been my high intensity lights.
him: I know what HID's are, I do this for a living but it certainly looked like you were flashing your brights.
him: could you turn your brights on for me?
me: did it. On and of a couple of times.
me: Why would I flash my brights, I saw you right in front of me. That would make no sense. It was propably the HIDS bouncing since the road here is so bumpy.
him: Well sir some people are not as smart as you, especially on a night like tonight after a few drinks. Sorry to waste your time.. you can go.

(That's almost verbatim, he 1st came of kinda pompus but I think once he realized I wasn't drunk or lying he loosened up. )

I took off and he followed me for a bit, prolly to see if the hids were bouncing like I said they were.

Anyhow, Is it normal for the hids to flash so hard on bumps that it looks like HIGH beams? I mean he was 2 cars ahead of me and he was still more then anoyed by them. Anything I can do short of replacing them to decrease the bounce? ( I don't get flashed by oncoming trafic much at all..mybe once a week or so )
Old 11-28-2002, 09:41 PM

I know that when an S2000, or any other car with HID's follows behind me, there's an angle where it just blinds you. It looks really blue/purple-ish. But any other angle, it just looks fine and extremely white.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:06 PM

I get flashed fairly often on 2 -lanes, and my car doesn't have HIDs. Don't worry about it, the cop was jumpy and looking for something to do. If it was really a problem you would have gotten a ticket.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:37 AM

I've seen a few posts about this on this forumn. It seems to be a pretty common problem. I've had people yell at me on two lane roads, and then go so far as to get behind me and flash their brights at me. I usually just take off and get as far away from these people as possible. In the case of the COP, trying to get away would be a bad idea. You handled it well.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:25 PM

I followed a friend to Vegas about a month ago and she asked me why I was flashing my lights at her... She also mentioned that when I was behind her and one lane over to the left, the bright lights were completely unbearable.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:20 AM

u guys need some auto dimming rear view mirrors LoL
Old 11-30-2002, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to fall colors I saw an s2000 coming up from behind me.....i knew it was an s2000 cause i could see his headlights bouncing(flickering) from about 1/4 of a mile away in the rain. The s2000 headlights flicker when going over bumps....to some it looks like flashing the high beams.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:51 AM

all my friends ask me why i flash them when i'm following them... i'm like, it's the HID's not flashing.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:55 AM
Ash

I think people need to learn how to adjust their review mirrors correctly... why would they be pointed toward the ground anyway? they have problems parallel parking and need to see the curb?
Old 12-01-2002, 07:04 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the stiff suspension exacerbates the effect On an Interstate, I even notice the HIDs "flashing" onto road signs way off the side of the road...

Quick Reply: Pulled Over!