S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Prelude SiR

Old 12-26-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prelude SiR

A cop had just slowed all 5 lanes of the freeway in front of the traffic next to me. Stops in lane 2, gets out of his car and removes some debris from that lane. (Props to the cop for doing that btw... I mean walking around on a 5 lane freeway hoping that all the bumblies actually stop when they see you that's dedication! )But, I digress...

He then pulls off to lane 4 to let traffic go. As a result of his stopping traffic move, there are NO cars as far as the eye can see ahead, but everyone pulls out easy (don't forget Mr. CHP is still back there).

About a half mile later a blue prelude flies by me and does a hazard flash. Huh? I was racing? He slows down about a quarter mile ahead but when I try to catch up he hits it again, and although I'm gaining, I slow down when I hit 100 or so. It's not that I never race, I just try to keep the time I spend in triple digits to a minimum. To close a 1/4 mile gap on a car going 90-100 is too much risk for me.

Eventually, he must have decided I gave up because about a minute later of going 70, there he is in the far right. This time, he pulls into the lane next to me and I'm ready. I downshift to 3rd at 65 and wait for him to jump which he does. I keep on it and proceed to put approximately 5-6 cars on him by ~120. (Distance may have been more, I'm watching my tach and the road). At this point I feel that I've proved my point so I tap my brakes, slow to 70 and ... you guessed it... ricer flyby and hazzards. Mkay.

Newsflash: If the car in front of you is still pulling at 120 and you need him to hit the brakes to catch him, that means you LOST. Line it up and do it again or admit defeat, but save those hazzards for when your car breaks down.

I didn't bother trying to catch him for another run because he seemed to stay >90 until he got out of sight. Not sure what constitutes a victory on this guy's terms... first one to Mexican border wins? (we were southbound, so that would be the first stop we'd HAVE TO make)

My car:
Comptech SC/AC, Comptech exhaust, BBS RGR, top and windows up, trunk full of crap.
His car:
SiR badge, 4" fartpipte, lowered, rim with red ano lips, possibly painted calipers.

PS, don't know what year it was and don't really care. It was LHD and looked like this:
Old 12-26-2004, 03:34 PM

Nice kill!

By the way, I would just like to say that I hate guys that just keep wanting more even after they lose BIG time. Those Preludes are understeering heavy pigs and they're very limited in terms of aftermarket solutions. One Prelude I give props to is the JUN Prelude fitted with some high-lift VTEC cams and some tasteful exhaust parts--saw this car on a Best Motoring video.

NICE KILL again.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a 92-96 Lude. The Sir is just a sticker he popped on. When I had my Lude at least I spent the extra and got the Prelude Typre R emblem . Unless that lude had FI he couldnt keep up. That year car had a Si with all wheel steering.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good kill. btw, a lot of people use the hazards in such cases to give props, say bye, hi, etc. not always a negative sign...
Old 12-26-2004, 09:54 PM

Good kill, and what a stupid ass lol

haninman: were you speaking of the JUN "Lemon" Prelude? I think it had 270hp, and came 2nd in the BM Touge challenge, behind the Amuse S2000, right?

dp32185: I've never heard of people using hazards to give props before...especially when simultaneously pulling a ricer fly-by. It makes much more sense to give a thumbsup, or a honk...then casually pull off...but thats just me.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:31 AM

It amazes me that some people just don't get it. If you pass a car that's faster than you 10 miles later, when he's stopped getting a Big Mac, can you still flash the hazards because now you're ahead? Is that how they 'race' ?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 AM

To answer Neo Samurai....

Yes that car did come second in the Touge challenge....incredible car in my opinion.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haninman,Dec 26 2004, 07:34 PM
Those Preludes are understeering heavy pigs and they're very limited in terms of aftermarket solutions.
Hmm... I'd have to disagree.
Manufacturer specs for 4th Gen Preludes put them between 2800-2900 lbs... about the same as an S2000. They may have some understeer from the factory, but probably no more than any other FWD coupe. And that's easily remedied by upgrading to a stiffer rear sway bar (that's what I did in my 5th Gen to get neutral handling, with just a touch of lift-throttle oversteer). Add a full coilover suspension kit, and they'll out-handle an S2000 (at least until the S2000 upgrades his suspension, too.. ). As for aftermarket... they're no more limited than the S2000. You can get parts from Jun, and probably Toda & Mugen as well. And I know there is stuff from DC Sports and some of the other old standbys.

The Prelude wouldn't be my platform of choice to race, simply because it's FWD... but I know that it can be raced competitively. And considering that they're very cheap now, they can be made to outperform an S2000 in pretty much every aspect without spending much money. And in my opinion, they still look pretty good, too.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:17 AM

I have a 5th Gen Lude for driving to and from work, and while I have fooled around under the hood a bit, I would never expect it to come anywhere close to beating my S2000 that's S/C'd. There's just no way. It's a porker at more than 3000 lbs.

There are plenty of things you can do to a Lude (shite stickers not being one of them) to make the car faster. But the costs aren't cheap by any stretch. Yes the price of buying the car has gone down a LOT, but you're still talking about $120 just to change the sparkplugs (stock plugs, through my dad's garage, installing them myself). and in order to go FI you HAVE to sleeve the block....at least if you want the car to last. H22A's are great motors, but I wouldn't recommend stock internals for anything beyond 4 or 5 lbs of boost and even that is a risk, given some of the stories I've heard.

It's sad...most Luders I know are cool and don't pull that ricer crap. If anything I get more flak from S2000's on my way home from work when I'm in my Prelude, though I couldn't tell you why. I wish I had a S2ki license plate frame for my Prelude...just to see the reaction I would get .
Old 01-05-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ledfoot,Jan 5 2005, 01:17 PM
Yes the price of buying the car has gone down a LOT, but you're still talking about $120 just to change the sparkplugs (stock plugs, through my dad's garage, installing them myself).
You're getting ripped off. I paid about 12 bucks a piece for the OEM Platinums from manhonda.com.

Quick Reply: Prelude SiR