S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

NOT a race

Old 04-19-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default NOT a race

Just like the topic says, this is not a race story.

I'll preface this by saying I have a tremendous respect for anyone with a motorcycle. Hell, I almost bought one myself.

However, there always seem to be those individuals that seek to test the limits of their perceived immortality.

At any rate, I was driving along on the freeway when someone on a sportbike pulls up next to me and is trying to race me.

We were on a highway with a moderate amount of traffic, so I was not even open to the idea of being dusted AND having to dodge traffic.

Perhaps if the road had been wide open, I would have let him fly by me for kicks.

Perhaps if I had the power to weight ratio of a sportbike, I would have considered doing a run.

Perhaps if he had an additional rider, and I were sans passenger, plus 9 psi turbo and 100-shot of nitrous, and Knight Rider's Turbo Boost, it might have been worth running.

Alas, none of these three conditions existed.

Nor do I relish the thought of weaving through traffic at speeds one should not be making abrupt lane changes at, no matter how evenly matched I may have been.

Said sportbike rider then believed since I would not race him, that he would do stupid things to goad me into racing him.

Either that, or he seemed to think my passenger and I were an enthralled audience positively begging to see his silly routine.

His first trick was to get in front of me, drop down to a gear that the bike should never have been in, then wheelie while the bike is hitting the rev limiter for an extended period of time.

Now, even though I have a firm belief that Darwinism should come into play at some point and this individual should never reproduce, I decided to move to the next lane over to avoid running him over should he fall off. I would hate to have to go through all the police reports if that happened.

Apparently, the aforementioned sportbike rider thought this was in some way, shape, or form, a diss to his
Old 04-19-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched a goomba on his bike doing about 65 not pay attention to what was going in in front of him drift off the road in a grassy median. The bikes front wheel stopped dead from 65mph, backend went up, launched the rider about 20 feet, the bike rolled over perfectly onto its handle bars. It was sitting there like what when kids flip their bikes over to take off a wheel.

Sufice it to say, the rider was in need of immediate medical attention. The only lucky part for him was he landed in the grass in a fairly soft rock free enviroment instead of the pavement.

Not really sure why the bike stopped dead like that. I can only guess there was either a hole, or a an old metal stub from street sign that had been removed.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:26 AM

No flames. I ride agressively but it sounds to me like you met a real loser. The rider loses all sympathy from me when you moved to the right and he still brake-checks you. You know, we WILL be a grill ornament some day.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:33 AM

Hehe, back in the day (jr high school) one of my friends dads had a nice Harley. While pulling into a grocery store parking lot a lady in Ford Taurus came barreling up to leave the store and hit him head on. He flew OVER the taurus and landed in the parking lot.

Had some road rash, bumps and bruises, and one really bad temper but otherwise ok. The bike was a complete loss.

Of course this was the same guy who came home one day with a snapping turtle clamped firmly to the heel of a boot. Kept the turtle for quite a while before he left it in a pond.