S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Neon SRT4... interesting

Old 04-18-2004, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Neon SRT4... interesting

Last night me and my friend alan (who drives a stock 350Z) were cruising around and ran into someone he knows with an SRT4. They had actually gone to the track that day, and the guy had run like a 13.8 or something yesterday stock. Well he wanted to run Alan so we went to a place to run. (there were 2 stock SRT4's)

First run was from a 25mph roll. The neon started in 2nd, Alan started in 1st. (this will come into play later) I was behind alan, and the other SRT4 was next to me but about a car ahead of me, behind his friend. 3 honks and everyone took off.

This is the funny part. Alan won and pulled in front of the guy shutting down around 100mph. I started in SECOND gear at 25mph (which you all know I should have been in 1st gear, since 25mph 2nd gear is pre-vtec) and the SRT4 only pulled about a car on me. However, once we got above 60mph I started pulling and catching back up. AND I had the top down, so the drag was making me slower too. Funny, but I thought in stock form the SRT4 was supposed to be faster than that?

After that race, the guy was bitching because he said Alan was supposed to start in 2nd, not 1st gear. lol. ok you start at whatever gear works to be fastest, and if you have to be in 2nd in your srt4 at 25mph then so be it. lol. They then ran from a stop and again, Alan beat him and the guy made up more excuses about how Alan "anticipated" and launched too soon. They launched at the exact same time, and they even had it video taped. However, he seemed to have no desire to "prove" Alan went too soon by showing the "proof" on the video tape.

Alan also told me they think S2000's are slow and that they can easily beat them. I will be certain to have to prove them wrong.

Later on I ended up next to the other SRT4 at a stop light. We are sitting there and the light is JUST about to turn. I'm thinking we are going to roll out and just go since the guy has given no indication otherwise. Suddenly just as the light turns, the guy revs up and launches. Way to go spanky. I push the clutch back in, rev up and dump it, but of course by this time he has 2 cars on me and is already going. By the end of 1st he has about 3 cars on me. I start to catch up to him through 2nd and cut his lead back to 2 cars. I start to pull even more in 3rd and so he shuts down at 70mph. If he'd have gone faster I'd have passed him. He has this big grin on his face as if he thinks his car is faster. I'll let them think that for now.....

However, I'm certainly going to make sure I put them in their place next weekend. And I'll video tape it myself as well.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice! Was it an 04 or 03 srt-4?

And next week when you video tape it post the vid. Im sure we all would love to see the neon's head lights!!
Old 04-18-2004, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen multiple SRT4's go low to high 13's. at the track. No idea how stock or not stock -- but it can't be that difficult to do when so many guys are doing it.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well like i said the guy we ran did a 13.8 and from what i heard had several 13's at the track yesterday before he actually raced us. so he's obviously a good driver. but i still pulled on both of them in all the races we ran. i just got cheap shotted on our run from a stop.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:04 AM

Nice Post!!

KiD
Old 04-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Former Moderator

last night i raced a "stock" 03 srt4. He said it was stock but it had a huge bov sound and sounded pretty mean. Off a launch (5k) for me I ate him alive even with a little wheel spin (good for the diff). I probably had like 5 cars on him by third gear. Then we raced again from a stop and i didn't even launch and beat him by about a car. Then he wanted to run from a roll. First roll was about 30 mph with me in first and he pulled about a half car. Second was 25 roll with me in first and he pulled about a car through fourth gear. He had a passenger in all of those and I was by myself. Now my question is, is it safe to assume it was modded? Had a massive blow off, and was chirping third gear no problem. He said it was a stock 03 and I said sure its stock. He laughed a little. Any thoughts? 1/4 mile i would have had about 5 cars on him cause he couldnt launch (tires spun and spun) and broke them free again in 2nd.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:49 PM

please prove them wrong next weekend...
i know you can pull on that pesky neon
Old 04-18-2004, 02:04 PM

i'm even considering buying a neon srt4 instead of a rsx type s now.. its cheaper.. and its mod friendly.. and u get high 13's?? damn.. its a bang for its buck.. anyone know the fuel consumption?? i need an everyday driver car.. the S eats too much gas for me driving 80-90 miles a day..
Old 04-18-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by CrAZiEx8
.. its cheaper.. and its mod friendly..
uhhh the rsx-s is plenty mod friendly as well, and you get to stay na....definitely not cheaper though, but i'd take an rsx-s over an srt 4 any day
Old 04-18-2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by CrAZiEx8
i'm even considering buying a neon srt4 instead of a rsx type s now.. its cheaper.. and its mod friendly.. and u get high 13's?? damn.. its a bang for its buck.. anyone know the fuel consumption?? i need an everyday driver car.. the S eats too much gas for me driving 80-90 miles a day..
Craziex8,

I went to vegas last year and averaged 26-27 mpg @ 80 mph. I tried to keep it at a steady 80 mph and only punched it twice. I'm sure at 65 mph I could've gotten over 30 mpg, buuuuuut who drives 65 mph? As long as you stay out of the gas (which is very difficult ), your mpg is very good. However if you're in the boost a lot (like I am), it eats up gas like any V8.

I got this car as my daily driver as well, because it is very easy to mod and the price per HP can't be beat. The only thing I don't like about this car is it's FWD without LSD (04's don't have this problem) and the handling. Otherwise, for $19,400 (before taxes) I can't complain much. I have added Mopar Stage 2 coilover and this has helped tremendously with the handling problem. It ran 14.1 @ 99 out of the box, 13.6 @ 101 with Stage 1 and DR only ($550), 13.5 @ 103 with the addition of an intake ($200), and 13.2 when I added a downpipe/exhaust($450). Stage 2 is due to be delivered at my house by the end of this month, and I'm hoping this will put me in the 12's. To say this thing takes well to mods would be an understatement, and the best part is they have the backing of Mopar for modifications. Who knows this car better than Mopar when it come to adding mods????

I have beat the hell out of this car over the past year. It currently has 19k on her with sixty plus 1/4 runs, powershifting the crap out of it, and 20 plus dyno pulls. I have not had one single problem with her. For a daily driver, you will not be disappointed with this car. I live in Rancho also, if you are serious about getting a SRT and want to go for a ride in one, PM me.

See ya

Wisconsin S2K, Nice kill . That clown can make up all the excuses why he lost, buuuuuut......
He lost..... Don't worry though, SRTs are faster than what you described, just like most cars, you have to run into the right mod..............................the driver mod . Not saying a better driver would beat you, just at least should've been a lot closer than that.

Nice kill

Quick Reply: Neon SRT4... interesting