S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

on my way to work......

Old 11-21-2004, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default on my way to work......

I was on my way to work this morning, and I heard a low buzzing from behind me. Looking in my rearview, i expected either a swarm of killer bees, or a large bag of sh*t someone dressed up to look like a car. This being wisconsin, of course it was the latter of the two.

The culprit? A purple grand am. And I don't mean like a cool purple, i'm talkin that ugly barney purple. f**k that dinosaur. and his purple grand am. anyways...

So I'm in the left lane, and I'm passing a car in the right lane. He gets on my ass, because apparently the already 10 over I'm going isn't enough, and he has to get where he's going before the government realizes he stole one of their navy aircraft wings and put it on the back of his car.

Eventually I'm far enough over that he can move over and fly by me, roaring exhaust and all. (seriously... do some people ever even fricking listen to what their damn exhaust sounds like??!!)

But the next light changes, and as we come to it, he downshifts for some reason (enging braking... do people actually do this in cars?? wow.......) and it sends his rpms to god knows what, making his engine sound like it's going to explode. However, this sound is only drowned out by his "bag of goats being beaten with an oar" sounding exhaust.

I line up with him at the light, he's revving, and I slowly star to inch forward. The race is irrelevant, considering an S2000 can rape a grand am like michael jackson a 10 year old boy, but it was the fact that he actually drove his car like he would win. After the race, and he caught up, he drove by, revealing his final mods.... Ebay altezzas and a kerry/edwards bumper sticker.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow awsome ...man I miss your stories good to hear one every now and then. I have this crap happen to me every week or so, I just can't put it into words as well as you.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:56 PM

nice story. so much grand-am rice in my area.

'omg i have a v6...my cars mad fast y0'
Old 11-21-2004, 05:56 PM

LOL, i love it when Kerry/ Edwards loses! Once again!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:56 PM

I do engine braking all the time and I've never had a problem with it. Infact, I've been doing this for years, the only thing is you have to do it right by rev matching it. Obiviously, if your current RPM is 7,000 or 8,000 plus you might wanna use your brakes to decrease your revolutions first before you downshift. Also, if your wondering how my clutch last. About 2 to 3 years with some spirited driving and so on.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to each their own. but as careful as you are, you do put more wear on your clutch than if you don't engine brake.

brake pads $ < clutch $
Old 11-21-2004, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Nov 21 2004, 09:22 PM
to each their own. but as careful as you are, you do put more wear on your clutch than if you don't engine brake.

brake pads $ < clutch $
not to mention wear on the engine
Old 11-22-2004, 07:16 AM
HJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That story made me laugh so hard. Thank you.

Btw, I didn't know Grand Am's came in stick?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I engine brake all the time also.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Paradox,Nov 21 2004, 09:56 PM
I do engine braking all the time and I've never had a problem with it. Infact, I've been doing this for years, the only thing is you have to do it right by rev matching it. Obiviously, if your current RPM is 7,000 or 8,000 plus you might wanna use your brakes to decrease your revolutions first before you downshift. Also, if your wondering how my clutch last. About 2 to 3 years with some spirited driving and so on.
2-3 years on a clutch isn't very good, I think. Unless you put a LOT of city miles on the car....

Quick Reply: on my way to work......