S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

My encounter with a cop

Old 01-25-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jan 25 2006, 03:32 PM
Can county sheriff's even give you tickets / pull you over...they kind of just putz around wasting tax payers money it seems.
does('nt) the statement apply to non-county sheriffs as well? while on that note, the same applies for the 37 extra emergency vehicles that show up (usually late) for any cause (paramedics, 3 firetrucks, 4 cops, CHP, volunteer patrol, nighthawk security, etc.)!
btw, I have much respect for noble and committed officers of the law.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:42 PM

I had a run in with a Sheriff also back in the day when I had my rustang. I was waiting to pull out of a side street into a very busy road. After waiting for like 5min I saw a slight gap in traffic and decided to just dump the clutch and pull out because by this time I was pretty pissed off. As I proceeded thru the first two gears completely sideways up the road I felt good about finally getting my chance to pull out. Once the car straightened out I happened to look in the rear view and to my dismay I saw the Red and Blue light bar of a patrol car two cars back from me. I totaly shit myself and hopped that maybe he didn't see me... Well he did and it was a Sheriff. He put on the lights and pulled me over. In the end he stated that he couldn't give me a ticket but he could call for a patrol car in the area if he felt so inclined to do so. Luckily he was cool and sent me on my way with no drama.

I always wondered if a driver was obligated to pull over if a sheriff was in the rear view with his lights on since he can't give you a ticket anyway. Tuff Choice
Old 01-25-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NFRS2K3,Jan 25 2006, 04:42 PM
I had a run in with a Sheriff also back in the day when I had my rustang. I was waiting to pull out of a side street into a very busy road. After waiting for like 5min I saw a slight gap in traffic and decided to just dump the clutch and pull out because by this time I was pretty pissed off. As I proceeded thru the first two gears completely sideways up the road I felt good about finally getting my chance to pull out. Once the car straightened out I happened to look in the rear view and to my dismay I saw the Red and Blue light bar of a patrol car two cars back from me. I totaly shit myself and hopped that maybe he didn't see me... Well he did and it was a Sheriff. He put on the lights and pulled me over. In the end he stated that he couldn't give me a ticket but he could call for a patrol car in the area if he felt so inclined to do so. Luckily he was cool and sent me on my way with no drama.

I always wondered if a driver was obligated to pull over if a sheriff was in the rear view with his lights on since he can't give you a ticket anyway. Tuff Choice
Yes, you are obligated.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:41 AM

These are some nice stories. But where the hell do you guys live? Sheriffs around here can give just as much of a ticket as any other city cop / state trooper.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jan 25 2006, 03:32 PM
Can county sheriff's even give you tickets / pull you over. Around here I have NEVER in my whole life seen them do that...they kind of just putz around wasting tax payers money it seems.
They can give tickets here in Oklahoma. Had one cite me for an expired tag of all things once.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends where you are. Spec Ops lives where I work, and our sheriffs department is useless. They spend all their time doing prisoner transfers, and I don't think they are allowed to ticket people in town. They leave that to the locals. I think they deal primarily in rural areas where they don't have a dedicated police force.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:53 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Jan 26 2006, 10:24 AM
Depends where you are. Spec Ops lives where I work, and our sheriffs department is useless. They spend all their time doing prisoner transfers, and I don't think they are allowed to ticket people in town. They leave that to the locals. I think they deal primarily in rural areas where they don't have a dedicated police force.
Yeah they are mostly related to county affairs (go figure county sheriff)

As stitos2k said, they do prisnor transfers, help organize large events (our cruise nights and HS events like homecoming), and other larger security concerns like when there was a bomb scare called into our HS a few years back

Now it is rare for most of that stuff to happen so basically they drive around, eat donuts, try to scare you by following you, and waste tax money
Old 01-26-2006, 09:15 AM

OUt here in Texas .. all LEO's can write tickets anywhere. Back in San Diego, the Sheriff only had jurisdiction outcide city limits. They could still radio a local cop to pull you over, but for the most part you could ignore them.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Interesting about the sheriffs not being able to write a ticket. I never knew that. Is that true in CA also?

One thing I notice about the sheriffs, since I drive past a sheriffs department almost daily, is they are pretty aggressive drivers. They do stuff I would be uncomforable doing with a cop nearby....push 10-15mph over, weaving in between lanes, no turn signals, that kinda stuff.

I had an interesting encounter with a cop a few weeks back. I was driving my lude down an pretty much empty, straigh road, slightly downhill road. I was cruising at about 60, and the speed limit was 45 there I think. I see a white car in my rear view mirror, and hes catching up and starting to tail me. So I give it a little more gas to about 70, and he gets even closer behind me. I'm like "oh shit whys there a red light where his rear view mirror is supposed to go?" Also hes close enough behind me that I can now see he's in uniform, but the car is unmarked. I realize its a cop and slow down, and make a random left turn. As I slow down for the turn, we make eye contact and he just waves at me and drives by. He could have defienately got me for speeing...but he just smiles and waves...lol weird.

Another time I had a pretty close call too. This time I was really pushing it. Empty road, and I tear away from the light, VTECing every gear, dunno how fast I was going but I know I was in 4th, so probably around 100 when right as I see him my sister yells "COP!". He was going in the other direction, I slam on my brakes, and he pops a U turn but doesn't put on his lights. I make a random left turn, get into a residential, and make a ton of turns just incase hes following me, but it turns out I turned into a dead end! No option but to get back on the street I was on. As i'm in the left turn lane, I see the same cop getting on the street from the other side. He gets behind me, and follows me until I turn left and he keeps going straight. Was an older gentleman, looked about 60 to me. Dunno if he didn't see me fly by or what, but it was pretty scary.

I get lucky with cops sometimes, but the only ticket I got was becuase I rolled through a stop sign apparently...even though I swear I stopped.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:31 AM

one time i was driving home from work and found a hooked up miata and zoomed right passed him. the guy pulls up next to me and pulls down his window and it was a police officer. man i was like "oh great an undercover street racer" and as i look closer it was my boy Mike. OH shiznit. I used to work with this guy at wal mart. anyways thats all. we parked on the side of the road and talked for a while.

Quick Reply: My encounter with a cop